Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to both Meijers and Wal-Mart. Meijers is running an Easter sale for blue card Hot Wheels, .50 each. I bought a bunch for Autofest but pardon the pun, cherry picked the good stuff out. Some redlines, mystery cars, Camaros, Mustangs etc. and left the golf carts, plastic bombs and fantasy there. I need a couple hundred so Kelly and I went to Wally's and they honored the Meijer price which was nice.

Meijers was nearly completly out of HW's including an endcap. They had two pegs of JL with a total of 4 cars. They were selling Jada, buy one get one and I was amazed how much large scale die-cast they had. Looks like stores have decided to go back to that which concerns me. I was amazed to see GL there and the three pegs they had were jammed full of cars. They had the Olds and the flamed Mopar. Nice looking stuff but it looks like people aren't buying. There were pegs for FC but they were all gone. They had no cars, nothing.

At Wally's they had one brown Mustang FC left, and three green Chevettes. That's it. Again, they had made an obvious effort to increase their large scale offerings and I even notice what looks like a 1:12th scale remote control Fresh Cherries Pacer or larger. I picked the blue cards clean, no Greenlights and again far more Foose than JL. The 1:64th range die-cast at both places has shrunk as if the stores are TRYING to box out or kill off the scale?

I didn't get it? Even the HW's area was a fraction of what it once was?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mark,

Maybe the Fresh Cherries sold out pretty quickly, which is a good thing. Or, maybe Fresh Cherries are gaining market share and sell. I can't really speak for the larger scales but the HO scale stuff seems to be doing quite well and hopefully Motormax is in this for the long haul.

Vito Larucci

·
Registered
972 Posts
Two of the Wal-Marts in this area (central Ohio) have restocked thier FC pegs with the first two releases of Pintos, Mustang IIs, Mavericks, Pacers and Gremlins. I also noticed the AG line re-stocked with the old stuff too, the 49 Mercury, Dodge Magnum and 69 GTO. I was disappointed on both counts as I was hoping to find the new FC Matadors and finally find some AG 71 & 76 Chevy's as well as the 78 T-Birds. Guess I can forget that as these old releases have not moved off the pegs for two weeks now.

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Mark,

It was at the new WalMart south of town that I found the FC Fiero's (nice casting by the way). They had a good selection of HW's. I picked up 12 Mystery cars and had a blast opening them all.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
VWowner said:
Mark,

It was at the new WalMart south of town that I found the FC Fiero's (nice casting by the way). They had a good selection of HW's. I picked up 12 Mystery cars and had a blast opening them all.
Any extra bugs?

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Any extra bugs?
No bugs...sorry. If I do find one. It's yours !

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear All:

Regarding what Mark asked,about the number of diecast,two factors are making the shelfs half sized than before:

1.Zinc prices
2.Video Games which are preffered by today's young.

Target has a meager selection;the one at K mart is all right,and Toys R Us also reduced its space for it.By far,selected Wal Marts have the biggest diecast space.

On the Zinc Price arena,it is suggested that the next 12-14 months will bring many changes on the diecast world,such as mergers or Companies going out of business.Likewise,the number of collectors is rather decreasing rather than the vice-versa,and this fact is really showing as the diecast alleys become smaller.

Is also suggested that 1/87 scale may experiment a dramatic growth.As an example,for 2007,between 25-40 new models of American Cars are announced or expected (the Fresh Cherries and Reel Rides are considered 2007 releases).

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stanmmx said:
Dear All:

Regarding what Mark asked,about the number of diecast,two factors are making the shelfs half sized than before:

1.Zinc prices
2.Video Games which are preffered by today's young.

Target has a meager selection;the one at K mart is all right,and Toys R Us also reduced its space for it.By far,selected Wal Marts have the biggest diecast space.

On the Zinc Price arena,it is suggested that the next 12-14 months will bring many changes on the diecast world,such as mergers or Companies going out of business.Likewise,the number of collectors is rather decreasing rather than the vice-versa,and this fact is really showing as the diecast alleys become smaller.

Is also suggested that 1/87 scale may experiment a dramatic growth.As an example,for 2007,between 25-40 new models of American Cars are announced or expected (the Fresh Cherries and Reel Rides are considered 2007 releases).
Good points. Perhaps that might be a good question to ask Motor Max at AutoFest since they are both in retail and a manufacturer for others as well. Get the perspective from the other side.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear Mark:

Please do so,and tell us what they said.

My info comes from several sources,including MAR (Model Auto Review Magazine).

Nick K

·
Registered
16 Posts
stanmmx said:
Dear All:

Thanks Stan.

This is Most Excellent news on the 1/87th front.. I say.. Bring it ON!!! I look forward to what the rest of this year will bring with regards to 1/87th diecasts.

Cheers,
Harry

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Let's face it, toy cars are not the market draw they once were. Simple business, no market, then no production. The diecast landscape has changed more in the last 18 months then I have seen in my entire 35 years of collecting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
recently I just found the 1974 AMC Gremlin in the 1:24 scale in Red only the second one I"ve seen on e-bay I also picked up up a Red Gremlin X model kit. and a Reguler 1:24 Red Gremlin X I also picked up a Blue 1974 AMC Gremlin X in the model kit.The seller told me that it was very rare and I wouldn"t find another one like that on e-bay. I had to pay through the nose $36.00 for tje Blue Gremlin X Model kit. Does anyone know How rare are this is. I have not seen any in these colors in this size anywhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts