Hobbyist Forums banner

Not the official "Traveling Cars", but travel they did...

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CorvairJim 
#1 ·
I was hoping to get the "traveling cars" in time for our Poconos vacation last week, but things intervened and that didn't happen. So instead I raided my GL collection for the '67 Impala and Airstream Bambi from the first Hitch & Tow series. I'm not any kind of great photographer, but I did have fun with the project, which I hope the pictures will attest to:

At our cottage:

Bingo Night!:

At the "Ice Cream Social":

Fall Foliage:

Home again, at last:

See less See more
#2 ·
At Callie's Candy Kitchen

(This first one wasn't at my late friend's shop, but I didn't have room for it in the first post)

Callie's Candy Kitchen has been a Pocono tradition for over 50 years. It was operated by my good friend Harry Callie, his wife and children since (as I recall) 1960. Harry was an entrepreneur, plain and simple. In his hourly candy-making demonstrations, he made it clear that he wasn't "in business to make candy, he was in the business to make MONEY! He decided that, since it was easier to make candy than, in his words to be a housewife, he'd get into the candy business.

Candy wasn't Harry's life, though. His faith and family came first, then his car collection. He had roughly a dozen collector's cars, from a very nice 1941 Cadillac coupe through a pair of Studebakers, a '58 Edsel, a '63 Bel Air wagon with a 409 and three-on-the-tree, a '55 Simca, a '70 Corvette LT-1 and a pair of Corvairs... Including the '66 Monza I reluctantly had to sell about 5 years ago when we'd fallen behind on the mortgage. He'd given me a standing offer of full book value on the car, so I took him up on it so we'd have a roof over our heads. Unfortunately, his son who runs the business now had put the cars away for the winter the week before (They usually sit out for customers to look at spring through fall, but thee'd been a freeze warning (it's that damned GLOBAL WARMING, I tell you!) and he wasn't taking any chances!

So here are a few shots I took while in the area. I also bought nearly $30 worth of candy, which my diet could ill-afford!

That's a heckuva huge billboard!

Damn, they sure grow 'em BIG around here!

This orange road is sure smooth, but there's no shoulder!

Families often gather for group shots in front of the shop.

If you're even in the Mountainhome, PA area, be sure to drop in. Tell them Corvair Jim sent you. It won't get you a discount, but they do know me, so be sure to say hi for me. Fall foliage time in the Poconos (usually the 2nd and 3rd weeks in October are peak) is ideal, but any time the kids are in school you can usually get waited on at the candy counter right away. Family vacation season the place is packed! They're open (as I recall) 10-5, 7 days a week, and they're closed Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. If you go there and the cars are out on display, give my old girl (the yellow '66 Corvair, not the "Evening Orchid" - violet metallic - '65!) a pat on the trunk lid for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.