Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,I went on a mini shopping spree and checked out what the remaining Hobby Shops in Manhattan had and it wasn't much in the way of Star Trek kits.I went to Red Caboose Hobby Shop and was hoping to find at least the reissue of M.R.Spock or the Interplanetary U.F.O.and he had neither.What he did have was the Polar Lights 1/1000 Original U.S.S.Enterprise which I passed on because I have several of those.He also had the 1/1000 scale Enterprise NX-01 which I don't have many of but I waited until I checked out Jans Hobby Shop in Uptown Manhattan before I bought anything.Jans didn't have much either in the way of Star Trek kits.My Fathers friend sent me a $25.00 gift card and Jans also had the Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise NX-01 so I purchased it.Not a bad kit,I like the Metallic Gray Color its molded in.I also did like the series Enterprise.I just wish this kit was a bit bigger but its still nice though.They also had the Big Polar Lights Refit with the aztecing decals going for $100 and the Enterprise E reissue was $35.00 there.I wish someone had a bigger selection of Sci Fi kits in N.Y.The way it looks I may wind up buying over the internet.Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Those prices - only in NYC

Here in Minneapolis, the 350-scale refit with the Aztecs is running around $74 and the E-reissue is running around $27

I (and my fellow Minneapolites) are lucky that our two LHS' are good about carrying Sci-Fi - the one even get's the Fine Molds and Revell-Germany kits that most others pass on

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Santa Monica: PL 350-R sells for $80 at the only model shop in town. The E-E goes for $30-%$35. (didn't look too close a few weeks ago). I got the C-57D for $84 otd.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What happened to the store on 12th in Manhattan? I forget the name. Forbidden Planet maybe or something like that. I got the Reliant there when it first came out but that was a while ago obviously.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You can keep NYC. Here In RI I can get the refit for $70.00. The E-E is $23.00. I do alot of my shopping on-line as well, only way to compare and make a intelligent purchase nowadays.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
beats what I have. Nada. There are two within 50 miles. Even K-Mart doesn't sell kits anymore.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happened to the store on 12th in Manhattan? I forget the name. Forbidden Planet maybe or something like that. I got the Reliant there when it first came out but that was a while ago obviously.
still there,but they don't sell as many models as they once did,I checked them out too yesterday.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If nothing else Red Caboose certainly has a character all unto it's own. Sorta like going into some of our basements. gotta love the "bell" sound effects; I would have walked right past otherwise.

·
Registered
934 Posts
GUY,.......
head over to wilson hobbies on Jamaica ave and 104 th st....
I visited the shop a few months ago when i took a trip up north

1 - 11 of 11 Posts