O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee!

I may not have been born here but its my home, Mess with the U.S. try me first..

Guys I have had a really rough 26 hours, I moved to Texas 16 days before 9/11 and I am sick to death of the greeners and just want to smack someone really really hard right now.. God Bless the U.S.A. and please do not forget the fallen..

Lt. David Scott
Argyle, Texas

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Certain folks want us to apologize for being Americans.

I think Coach is speaking of those who've forgotten, those who never cared, those that deny the 9/11 tragedy was an attack by terrorists, and even some who say we had it coming to us. Many people's 9/11 thoughts have now become brief lipservice which they pay yearly (if that). Constant hand-ringing over global warming, government conspiracy theories, and bail outs seem to garner more attention from some folks. I know people like this and it saddens me. As they live their lives of relative comfort and freedom in the greatest country on the planet, they are largely unable to take pride in or acknowledge that they are living in the greatest country on the planet. Do we have issues to solve? Yes... Is there a better place to live your life? No... Regardless of your political leanings, I don't see how anyone could forget this.

My father was a WWII Veteran. The first thing he'd do when he would get his new SNET Phone Company jacket every year was to have mom sew a new flag patch on it. I never understood that. My "aha moment" was 9/11/01. On 9/12/01 I dug out one of my father's old patches and attached it to my Jeep's grill guard. I drove through town that day and saw groups of people all along the side of the road holding vigils and getting together to support eachother. I felt very proud for them and for me, I finally "got it", and began to cry. I felt like a fog had lifted as I pulled over to join some friends. My little flag held firm for years, but eventually got pretty worn and faded. I moved her into my glovebox and she's there to this day.

I haven't and will not forget. nd

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for the clarification TJD. 9/11 was certainly a day that you will never forget what you were doing and who you were with when it happened. After the attack I felt that the country rallied together better than it ever had.
Jim

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I feel horrible for all those who lost their lives on 11 September 2001. And for those in our nation's military. I'm proud of our nation's Armed Forces. Some of them have made the ultimate sacrifice. Too bad a majority of our politicians don't feel the same way and don't realize this.

Randy.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I live near ground zero, I didn't have to see it on TV, I saw the second lane plane fly in with my own eyes. Working for NBC News, I walked the site the next day. It felt like what I magine a moonwalk might feel like. 1.5 feet of white ash, firefigther beepers surrounded me, all at different volumes indicitating depth of burial. They sounded like tree frogs singing on a hot Flordia night. Then I got to sift through hunderds of hours of the most horrific footage you could imagine, for month after month. I can hope I can live long enough to forget what I saw in the fall and early winter of 2001. The smell of the smoldering pile lasted for months.

I won't lie, it shook me up some. That's when I re-discovered slot cars. Late Oct 2001, I had to buy my nephew a B-day present. I hit the Toys R Us in Times Square and saw some Life Like sets. I bought one for him. The next week, I gave it to him, we set up and raced for hours. It re-awkened my passion for slots after a close to 20 yr absense. I went to Toys R us again and bought myself the biggest set I could find. Like an old alkie finding a bottle, I was hooked all over again.

Whe I first smelled the burnt oil and ozone... I was transported back to a much easier and simplier time. I had no idea that eight yrs later I'd still be a slot junkie.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,320 Posts
I was online in chat last night, but wasn't there. I was watching the History channel, with no commercial interruptions, as they aired there 102 MINUTES of amateur eyewitness video of Sept 11th. I just had to watch. I watched it, then the following specials, and watched it again on the encore. The special about the guy that worked as security chief for Dean Witter was way interesting, I didn't even know about it. If it wasn't for him, the lives lost would have been twice what it was. It's surprising how much you put out of your mind over the years. Makes you not regret a single shot that has been fired.

Rich

·
Most Interesting Member
6,320 Posts
VJ, mr.movie man,

Have you watched that old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "TRUE LIES" since then?
I think it was made in 93. Great movie, but the plot is eerily similar, too close.
It used to be one of my favorite movies til Sept 11th, hard to watch now.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Think of all the laughs, smiles and joy that was lost...not fair at all

It is very sad that inocent people had to loose their lives in 911. God Bless all that were related to or friends of the victims of 911 along with the rest of the world that is grieving as well of the horrible loss of life.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
NT.... yes, I have notiecd that. What's also distrubing are the efforts being made to cut shots of the WTC out of shows like Seinfeld, NYPD and Friends for DVD release. I guess we're supposed to pretend that those buildings never exisited.

Frankly, I don't know which side I'm disgusted with more.... the right and their "worship the rich" platform... or the left with all their PC garbage.

Neither side seems to have my, my family's or my friends best interests at heart.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
It is very sad that inocent people had to loose their lives in 911. God Bless all that were related to or friends of the victims of 911 along with the rest of the world that is grieving as well of the horrible loss of life.

Bob
So true Bob, I think about that too... and not just American lives either.
There have been tens of thousands of people who have been killed since then... innocent people who had nothing to with 9/11, whose only crime was being born in the wrong country at the wrong time. I worked on a few documentaries about the 9/11 fallout, both here and abroad... we're not the only victims of 9/11, not by a long shot.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Frankly, I don't know which side I'm disgusted with more.... the right and their "worship the rich" platform... or the left with all their PC garbage.

Neither side seems to have my, my family's or my friends best interests at heart.

I totally agree!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
The obvious and painful shortcomings of the two party system. Somehow I dont think it's 'zactly what the founding fathers had in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts