Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we need a CLEAR definition of this rule.

If you can buy some stuff at Radio Shack, assemble it with a soldering iron, isn't that "AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC"???

Unfortunately igornance dominates inteligence (No offense, I'm one of the ignorant) and since majority rules, well...

Here's the deal, if someone is creative in their basement, with available components and is able to raise the bar, WE NEED TO DO OUR HOMEWORK!!!

I get beat ALL THE TIME by smarter people...Smarter chassis guy...Smarter tire guy...Smarter motor guy...Smarter battery guy...Whatever, I just need to do my homework for the next race.

So back to the topic, What does "available to the public" mean???
Does it mean ready to run??? If that's the case then most car kits wouldn't meet the rules, or batteries, or tires.

Jast want to see some opinions ;)

Later, Bret

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I totally agree,

Does this also mean that people that "CUT" there chassis diffrent should be illegal? There cuts are not aviable to the public, I know i could go buy a dremal and a cutter "BUT" there is no diffrence Then the point you made!!!!

note: nothing agianst the people that cut there chassis....just an example to prove a point

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I dont think there should be any rules like this.. For one there is not one single thing out there that makes one person faster then another.. Everyone has everything they need right in front of them to be the dominant racer.. Its just like a puzzle.. The one who figures it out the fastest wins..

·
Dale Cote'
1,659 Posts
I don't ever agree with the "available to the public" thing. I make my own dirt oval bodies, made my own 1/12 oval chassis, scratchbuilt my own dirt oval chassis. Is it an unfair advantage? NO. I like to tinker, and sometimes its cheaper. Whenever someone cries about something I've built/modified my arguement is "you mean to tell me that I built something in my garage that is better than a mass produced piece manufactured by a multi-million dollar company? Get real. Use your hands and build one yourself."

·
Registered
662 Posts
everything is available to the public for the right price at the right places we all know that..... i agree with you jet!!!!!!!!!! i think these rulings are based on not available to the public by an r/c manufacturer. which i do and don't agree with. all depends on the items. motors and batteries are a must to have a rule on. the rest i don't see a need for a ruling but thats my .02 cents and i'm sure before this is over they'll be over a $1,000,000 worth on here. Brad

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
There's nothing wrong with innovation,but when it comes to racing you gotta put the brakes on somewhere.If you wanna run anything goes, run in the open Mod class.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Guys please!

I think you guys are just plain wrong.

What if I do my own pan car body shell from scratch ... designed in such a way that it allows me to get an aero package that is so much better than anything currently available. ... you'll say you can't 'cause it needs to be approved by sanctioning bodies such as ROAR! And one of the most important criteria to approve bodies is AVAILABILITY to the general public.

What if I build my own motor from scratch ... designed in such a way that it devellops so much more power than anything currently available that my competition is begging to use such motor BUT I can't let them run any since I only build one. ... you'll say you can't 'cause it needs to be approved by sanctioning bodies such as ROAR! And again, one of the most important criteria to approve motors is AVAILABILITY to the general public.

I bet you'll see a new "approval" section added to sanctionning bodies such as ROAR soon: Electronics.

Just a question to you guys that beleive that rules are painful and unnecessary ... WHY do you think BRL series ruled that it'd be that Novak brushless speedo, that Novak motor, etc. ... Imagine if Tekin would've come out with a brushless system 1 week after the series would've started ... a system that is so much more powerfull than the Novak that it would obsolete the Novak ... you'd say no problem, I'd then get the Tekin ... to find out you can't ... IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE TO A HANDFULL OF GUYS ... you'd then cry for justice!!!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You could hardly buy all those components at R.S. Those clowns wouldnt even know what the parts were, at least any of the R.S. around here.

I think it is great what Chris did, heck I built one 10 years ago on the bench. Its obvious to me that it is a huge speed advantage the line has to be drawn somewhere. Chris's car was good last weekend, but every car in the A-main was good also, a few I thought were better. The electronics rule is not adressed in the ROAR rulebook because untill this point it wasnt an issue. What fun is winning if you have such a large advantage that noone else has?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have never seen a rule against any speed controll other than to say you can't have reverse. I find it hard to beleive that someone can make there own speed control that would be faster than any of the other controlers out there. Just maybe he hit on the "perfect" set up and everybody else needs to do there homework.

·
Dialed
3,384 Posts
I'm curious if we ask JB (Arcor) if he was attending the Arcor open at Classic, if he could run that speedo....Since we really don't have any means of asking a Roar rep, and Arcor rules state any Chassis and any Electronics...

After all that, what ever JB would say, yes or no, would put an end to this all...Wouldn't that be great... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
ok read the thread. That is plain and simple bs. I say let him run it. because Foamdognuts brought up a good point do we really know what our speedo's are doing? actually i do because wine is creeping up my crack. lol sorry about that. no really I and other run for Tekin so if we try to run there new speedo we can't because it is still a prototype?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I can see it now, If you win a national title they will have to tear down your servo, and speed control to make sure the inside are the same as a "off the shelf" model.... :freak:

The only way i could see there being any kind of a slim chance in a mear....(you get the point) this really being a rule is in something like a TRUE Spec class.......

I personaly ran agianst Chris and his speedo, and he whopped me, I never even thought to question that. What a joke :wave:

1 - 20 of 231 Posts