Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
TRF419

Camber 1 deg
Toe = One out in front, 2.5 in for rear
Droop= wheels off the ground at 7mm (is that too much?)
Springs = soft
Oil = Tamiya yellow which is like 35
Rollbars = soft
Jaco blue = New set, compound on inner 1/2 only
Front spool
Rear diff = Tamiya clear which is like 50

Does anything above seem out of place. I was having to drive like a granny in the corners for fear of traction rolling in the 17.5 TC race. Maybe more runs needed on the tires or no traction compound or less droop? Any suggestions from the TC crowd?

·
Registered
969 Posts
TRF419

Camber 1 deg
Springs = soft
Rollbars = soft
Front spool

Does anything above seem out of place. I was having to drive like a granny in the corners for fear of traction rolling in the 17.5 TC race. Maybe more runs needed on the tires or no traction compound or less droop? Any suggestions from the TC crowd?
You may need to dial any aggressiveness out of the car until it stops flipping and then start adding it back once the car isn't flipping off the track. Your settings don't seem too off what I'd be trying if my car was not working. Granted I'm not very fast but my cars don't do dumb stuff on the track that isn't directly related to my inputs with the radio. Try even less camber. Long camber links may make the car react slower which might lessen the propensity to flip. It is hard to see but is your car going through its suspension travel quickly and flipping when the shock runs out of travel? No ideal what shock pistons you run but maybe start going heavier on the damping little by little to get more more control of the rate of chassis roll. Do you know the spring rate on a Tamiya soft or how it compares to say a Yokomo blue or Xray 2.5? Where are your roll centers? Low, mid, high? Camber links parallel to arms? Running a lightweight body can help a little. Go to Petit RC and see if Marc Reinhard has any carpet setups posted. Might give some insight into what has worked for him. Unfortunately, not a lot of people run the 419 on carpet so it is a bit tougher to data mine setup sheets and draw any real conclusions on what tends to work on your car.

·
Registered
969 Posts
TRF419

Camber 1 deg
Springs = soft
Rollbars = soft
Front spool

One thing I forgot and this is the first thing I would do. Glue your sidewalls. It is hokey but it works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea, set-up doesn't seem crazy but I don't know how Tamiya's feel. 35w oil may be too light, you'll get faster weight transfer like that.

Droop could be played with depending on your ride height. My base-line is 1.5mm over ride height F and R.

Take a look at your diff positions. If they are set to the low position you can try raising them to take side grip away. I don't know the baseline mechanics of that chassis' roll centers so it may or may not work. Dropping the diffs on an Xray usually has negative results on carpet, gives too much grip.

Where in the corner does it want to traction roll? (Entry-Mid-Exit)

·
Registered
969 Posts
A lot of fun at the track today. Seems like every class was very competitive, and fast. Overall quality of driving seems to be getting better across the board. Thanks to the NORCAR crew and all the others that make this all possible. Also, thanks to all who came out including those who drove from out of state. Was great to see some people I haven't seen for awhile even if they did kick my ass in TC.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
More racing this weekend!
Current layout will be down for 3 more race days, then 3 weekends of oval.
It is a "Cash Day" race!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chuck,
My NORCAR BUCKS featuring your likeness has been put on display on my fridge for all to see. Don't you feel honored?
Mark Heitger

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
TRF419

Camber 1 deg
Springs = soft
Rollbars = soft
Front spool

Definitely do what Chaz mentioned about gluing sidewalls. Hokey as all hell, but it works. As far as what's listed, I'm second what Nate said about droop. I don't know the car either but 7mm seems a bit much. Back when I used to do this as a beginner I tended to like the higher droop settings because the car felt responsive at every point in the turn, but I was basicaly making my turns far too long like I was driving a real car. These things have so much grip for their weight, the advantage is to use it and get the car to it's limit as quickly as possible. Excessive droop settings essentially allow the inner suspension to literally push the car over. You want it to dig, but keep the inside down when doing so.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This Saturday is the last chance to put laps in on this layout before we switch over to 3 weeks of oval racing!

Be there to enjoy the soft sounds of Charles Mackin yelling in the pits....

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Racing this Saturday!

NORCAR Cash Day and the possible layout for the Summer Slam :)

Doors open 9am and racing at 1pm!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Points race this Saturday!!!

Last weekend to practice before the Summer Slam!

Good news... We will be having a practice day added this Sunday from 9am till 4pm, come out and see Chuck Mackin!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This Saturday is a NORCAR Cash Day race!
The current layout will be down 2 more weeks :)
Ice, dots, and ring of death!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I getting back into R/C racing after a 15 year break. I just ordered an Xray T4 2016 and plan to compete in the USGT class.

Couple of questions:
  1. Anyone have any recommended starting points for suspension setup?
  2. Recommended front diff setup? Spool or diff?
  3. Recommended oil weight for rear diff?
  4. Recommended starting point gear ratio for road course and 21.5t motor? I'll probably be running 64 pitch.
  5. I picked up a TSR 5000mAh 65C 2S pack at the track this past weekend. The Prodigy 680 charger I ordered only goes up to 8A. Am I doing myself a disservice? Should I look for a charger with a higher charge rate? I'm new to LiPo and not sure what effect lower charging rates have on performance.

Hope to see you guys September 3.

Thank you!

Erik Rasmussen

·
Registered
144 Posts
Guys, I plan to get back into racing at your track for the winter season, can you give recommendations for 12th scale spec car. Don't need anything high end, just a solid car that I can get started with. I'm leaning towards CRC or Team Associated.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts