Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe not destroyed, but a frell of alot of work to get it back to par.
Last night I was finishing up the fit of the acrylic rod to mount my PL 1st pilot E on. I was very proud of this one- airbrushed custom color, Micro Sol & Set, lots of attention to the putty/sanding- you know, all the "little bit more" work went into this one.
Last night I thought I'd have enough time before my sister-in-law came over with the cool 4mp digital camera, that I could put a final clear coat on it. Just finished the last of the decals a couple nights ago, so it was looking sharp.
So I fired up my Zizolfo 3000 spray booth, set my model inside, grabbed the brand new can of clear coat, shook & sprayed. Then I noticed little specks on the masks I put on &.....
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
What I thought was a nice, new can of clear coat turned out to be a can of white! Yes, white paint. Looks like my little PL E went through a snow storm. :cry: Now, it's the fun of sanding off all the white & decals & remixing the paint to do it all over again.

Yea, yea, I know, "Read the can". Best I can figure is that when I purchased it (at Michael's) someone put a white can in the "clear coat" slot. *sigh*
Okay, now is the part where you tell me your agonys so my misery can have company. :(

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Prince of Styrene II said:
Well, maybe not destroyed, but a frell of alot of work to get it back to par.
Last night I was finishing up the fit of the acrylic rod to mount my PL 1st pilot E on. I was very proud of this one- airbrushed custom color, Micro Sol & Set, lots of attention to the putty/sanding- you know, all the "little bit more" work went into this one.
Last night I thought I'd have enough time before my sister-in-law came over with the cool 4mp digital camera, that I could put a final clear coat on it. Just finished the last of the decals a couple nights ago, so it was looking sharp.
So I fired up my Zizolfo 3000 spray booth, set my model inside, grabbed the brand new can of clear coat, shook & sprayed. Then I noticed little specks on the masks I put on &.....
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
What I thought was a nice, new can of clear coat turned out to be a can of white! Yes, white paint. Looks like my little PL E went through a snow storm. :cry: Now, it's the fun of sanding off all the white & decals & remixing the paint to do it all over again.

Yea, yea, I know, "Read the can". Best I can figure is that when I purchased it (at Michael's) someone put a white can in the "clear coat" slot. *sigh*
Okay, now is the part where you tell me your agonys so my misery can have company. :(
To quote Red from "That 70's Show": "Dumb ass."

OAB ;)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Prince of Styrene II said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
What I thought was a nice, new can of clear coat turned out to be a can of white!

Legal disclaimer: Zizolfo 3000 Spray Booth Industries shall not be held responsible for the incompetence of the users of its product, or any undesireable effects obtained as a result.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I did ALMOST exactly the same thing...but worse.

I'd finished up the Airfix 1/24 scale Hurricane complete with airbrushed camoflage and decals. Like your model, mine just needed the final clear coat. Of course, I grabbed the nearest can on the work bench and started spraying...SILVER (the paint I was using to touch up my full size Trans Am).

Why was my situation worse?

Because the can of silver was hot auto lacquer. It didn't just cover the paint job...it dissolved it. And it dissolved the decals. And it dissolved the PLASTIC. That kit was well and truly destroyed. Furthermore, unlike you, I had absolutely no excuse. I was a full time spray painter and I grabbed a can that was clearly marked as silver lacquer (though I obviously wan't paying attention). An honest-to-goodness dumbass move if there ever was one.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Well, not a model, but a painting. I was rushing to finish an entry for the Mass. Duck Stamp Contest, which is always of a decoy done on plain board. I was very happy with the piece, but needed to give it a coat of matte medium to remove glare. Usually I'll wait over night before brushing on the medium, but, as I said, I was in a hurry... Two swift brushstrokes of the medium with a 2 1/2" brush, and the paint streaked all across the board! This was at about 8:30 at night - I stayed up until dawn the next morning fixing it...and I lost anyway! :)
I airbrush the medium on now...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Any way you could paint on some Castrol in just the areas where it is needed, and leave it to set? Dunno if Blu-Tac would hold a puddle of it in place but it may be easier than sanding...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
A friend of mine had a basement apartment, and after painting a model he opened the window to let out the fumes. Fresh cut grass fell right onto the paint. He was so POed he threw it away.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Thats rough. Been there sprayed that. I was working on lead minature and what I thought to be clear coat was white primer. Since then I always check a can before spraying.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
origAurora buyer said:
To quote Red from "That 70's Show": "Dumb ass."
Gee, I feel much better now! :rolleyes:

Ziz said:
Legal disclaimer: Zizolfo 3000 Spray Booth Industries shall not be held responsible for the incompetence of the users of its product, or any undesireable effects obtained as a result.
You know, I'm looking into that. I figure there's got to be some kind of "toe over the line" law, like shooting video within the "public view" law...

Brent Gair said:
I did ALMOST exactly the same thing... but worse.
GAaaaah! Okay, now I don't feel so bad... :freak:

ChrisW said:
Two swift brushstrokes of the medium with a 2 1/2" brush, and the paint streaked all across the board! I stayed up until dawn the next morning fixing it... and I lost anyway!
Ouch. Did that with a model, to somewhat the same extent, too. Stayed up all night fixing it for a contest. Didn't win either. Drinks are on me next WF. You too, Brent & jgoldsack. :drunk:

Pygar said:
Any way you could paint on some Castrol in just the areas where it is needed, and leave it to set? Dunno if Blu-Tac would hold a puddle of it in place but it may be easier than sanding...
Don't I wish! Thought of that already, but the thing that makes it neigh impossible is that I mixed the hull color! Little bit of RLM 63, little bit of 65 & of course did not keep track of the proportions. *sigh* Well, at least I had the model upside down, so I can at least show everyone the top of the saucer & the port side.

jgoldsack said:
Gah! Sorry to hear that... I did that once.. and ONLY once. I always now do a test spray first, just to be sure....
Words to live by.

Thanks for the pats on the back, everyone.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,222 Posts
Nope. Never did that.

Sprayed my face blue once, holding a spary can backwards by mistake. But the model was unharmed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh, I've done exactly what you have! I've also had my shedding cat rub up against a freshly clear-coated model before!

From all the replies, I'd say there are two kinds of modellers: those that have done what you did, and those that will.:freak:

-Cappy D

·
Registered
255 Posts
You have my sympathies, Prince of Styrene. Perhaps this would be a good time to advise you to purchase (or if you have one, use more often) an airbrush, because one would have to be super-absent-minded to pick the wrong colour, properly thin it, set up the airbrush and compressor, and then spray it on the model.

Once you've redone your 1701, make sure to post some pics! I just finished puttying mine and am about to get to the priming stage. What a great kit!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts