Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
non magnetic track?

Has anyone ever tried replacing the rails in a straight piece of track with something non-magnetic?

At the weekend I ran some of my cars with the magnets removed on a 210' 4-laner and they worked just fine on the straights. I cannot prove it but they seemed quite a bit faster in fact, despite having a lower entry speed
from the preceding corner. The cars didn't fishtail or develop any other nasty habbits.

If each long straight commenced (for stability) and terminated (for braking) with a 6'' conventional piece of track, with very short sections between corners (plus the curves themeselves, naturally) staying magnetic - I think
overal lap times would drop quite a bit.

Regds - DEANE

·
Registered
689 Posts
if u check out hoslotcarracing.com there is a section where u can make your own track if u could find copper instead of steel wire you could do that on the straits and use normal steel on the corners and do that it would be a hassle tho but your probably right speeds would be outragious

·
Banned
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okracer said:
if u check out hoslotcarracing.com there is a section where u can make your own track if u could find copper instead of steel wire you could do that on the straits and use normal steel on the corners and do that it would be a hassle tho but your probably right speeds would be outragious
I suprised GAR and Wizzard have never thought of it for their sectional tracks!

dw

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
Someone else might know for sure but I think the Model Motoring replica track pieces that were out a while ago came with non-magnetic rail -- a real pisser for magnet racing.

'doba

·
Registered
223 Posts
Uncoated copper wire can be had in spools and in sizes well suited for rail purposes. However, non-magnetic straights might well help the times on larger footage tracks with unusually long straights, especially with pancake cars and stock magnet cars, but HiPo magnet cars rely on magnetic down force as part of the formula for speed. Ask the HO drag racers. Also, unless a track is virtually all straights with a very minimal amount of turns, straight line speed is typically not what wins a race. This is especially true on average size tracks which are usually found to be under 100' in overall length. T-Jets prove the speed vs handling issue quite well. Handling is usually the factor when racing is close. As much as I personally would like our little cars to replicate 1:1 cars, they do not have enough weight to allow us to drive them like a 1:1 thus requiring a little help in the gravity department!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts