Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Woah, as an old SAAB dude I can tell you that is quite impressive. Right down to the mudflaps.
Who makes that? Is it a recent release?
I had a '72, it didn't have those big ugly bumpers...much cleaner.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woah, as an old SAAB dude I can tell you that is quite impressive. Right down to the mudflaps.
Who makes that? Is it a recent release?
I had a '72, it didn't have those big ugly bumpers...much cleaner.
Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad that you liked it. The model was made by Universal Hobbies with a production run of 1500 pieces - I don't remember the date, though it was probably in the mid-'90's. The detail on this model impressed me.

The bumpers were a 1973 production change on the 1/1 version in readiness for the US federally mandated impact bumpers (and remember seatbelt interlock?) I was a SAAB guy in the 80's and '90's and had a number of 900 and 9000 Turbos as company cars. I only had the occasion to drive a Sonett III once and it was great fun.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've been eyeing Sonetts for my next 1:1 buy, that UH looks amazingly good for a 1:43 for the 90s. Hopefully I'll add one to the collection in more scale than one! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Me and my family have owned COUNTLESS Saabs since 1970.
3 cyl 2 stroke and Ford Taunus powered V 4 powered model 96 sedans and model 95 wagons.
Honestly, I prefered the 96 and 95 models to the model 97 Sonnetts.
My brother still owns several and drives the holy hell out of them!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me and my family have owned COUNTLESS Saabs since 1970.
3 cyl 2 stroke and Ford Taunus powered V 4 powered model 96 sedans and model 95 wagons.
Honestly, I prefered the 96 and 95 models to the model 97 Sonnetts.
My brother still owns several and drives the holy hell out of them!
When I was a kid, my buddy's mom had a 2-stroke 93. I always thought the engine was about the same size as the one in my mother's Electrolux vacuum cleaner! The "putt-putt" took us everywhere.

The SAAB that I thought was the funkiest was a 96 V4 with free-wheeling - free-wheeling was like nothing else. The one that was the best driver was the 1995 900 V6 5-speed with the engine that Opel used in DTM racing.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a terrific 99 from karl s and a great 96 from PW...

Keep 'em coming, guys. Let's hear everyone's SAAB story!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
When I was a kid, my buddy's mom had a 2-stroke 93. I always thought the engine was about the same size as the one in my mother's Electrolux vacuum cleaner! The "putt-putt" took us everywhere.

The SAAB that I thought was the funkiest was a 96 V4 with free-wheeling - free-wheeling was like nothing else.
Amazing and unique feature...and it wasn't just the V4 cars that had it.
The 3 cyl cars had it as well - including 93s. Your buddy's mom may have been unaware of this device. Some people that bought their cars used, where not informed. The lever that operated the free-wheeling is sorta hidden under the dash and was left undiscovered by some!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amazing and unique feature...and it wasn't just the V4 cars that had it.
The 3 cyl cars had it as well - including 93s. Your buddy's mom may have been unaware of this device. Some people that bought their cars used, where not informed. The lever that operated the free-wheeling is sorta hidden under the dash and was left undiscovered by some!
Yes - I drove the others, but I never had the occasion to drive a three cylinder SAAB. Did you ever have a Turbo with a noisy hooter valve?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
My one and only post 96 model SAAB was a '78 turbo.
I don't think I even regestered it before I sold it ...and the turbo was busted anyway.
What's a noisey hooter valve sound like?

P.S. The 3cyl. cars are fun to drive because the tiney alluminium engine is much lighter than the V4s so they handle curves and off-road stuff better.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
You mean the compressor bypass valve. Unless it was vented to the atmosphere (in which case it was actually a blow-off valve) it shouldn't have been that noisy. A defective CBV which is leaking can make some noises.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You mean the compressor bypass valve. Unless it was vented to the atmosphere (in which case it was actually a blow-off valve) it shouldn't have been that noisy. A defective CBV which is leaking can make some noises.
You are exactly right. Because of the type noise that the defective blow off valve made, it was referred to as a hooter valve. Google it and see!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Lane is a very cool place. Lots of neat Citroens there too (like that highly modified orange DS racer behind the Saab in the second picture).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts