Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word on the street is that the Refit and NX01 are no more. How is this going to impact those of you who are making a living supporting these models? Lou?

I'm just bummed because I just discovered this hobby.

Can anyone confirm/deny? I have it on very good sources that this is true. :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
Yes, it's true. Polar Lights/RC2 is no longer producing the 1/350 Trek kits. RC2 is also no longer producing ANY Trek kits, be they under the Polar Lights or ERTL name brands. In fact, they're dissolving all of their plastic (i.e. model making) assets. So, grab up those Trek kits while you can from the Local Hobby Shop or online sources if you want to get them at reasonable prices. I'm sure the speculator market is already all over purchasing large numbers of these kits to resell on e-Bay in the not-too-distant future for a sizable mark-up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,462 Posts
Back when RC2 dropped the Trek license several of those kits showed up at BIG LOTS for 4.99!!
As for any more of the PL 350 kits rumor has ot that Linberg models is interested in buying the plastic kit molds from RC2, so maybe we'll find out some time next year at the earliest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
irishtrek said:
Back when RC2 dropped the Trek license several of those kits showed up at BIG LOTS for 4.99!!
As for any more of the PL 350 kits rumor has ot that Linberg models is interested in buying the plastic kit molds from RC2, so maybe we'll find out some time next year at the earliest.
I hope someone does. These are the coolest kits - it would be a huge loss to the hobby to lose them. I wonder what their reasoning is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
veedubb67 said:
They're frakkin idiots, that's why!!!! :mad:
I thought it was because their heads were so high up their bum they need switchbacks to come back out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Especially with a new Trek movie coming out next summer...I would market all kinds of Trek models.

But then again I don't rule the world...what a loss
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
315 Posts
Actually, the most recent word is that they decided, in their own financial insight, not to stop the Trek line, so everyone can relax, there will be plenty of kits around. This was as of a few weeks ago, reliable source insists they will not cut of ST kits on the production line. How long, that I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
Although I hate RC2 for doing this, it was totally unnecessary as they could have negotiated to buy the rights to require these companies to stop competing with them in the toy market and only cause them to stop making those items,

I can't imagine all those expensive toolings are going to be just thrown in a dumpster somewhere.

I hope that, at the very least they are able to keep the Sci-Fi - or at least the Trek - stuff together and sell it all to one vendor.

Everybody knew exactly what RC2 planned to do with the kit producing parts of Ertl and Polar Lights within a couple of days of them buying them.

Some guys like John P. told us what was going to happen even before that.

Why these guys couldn't instead get these companies to sell their toy divisions alone(even if they had to get them to restructure and create a toy division only for the purpose of selling it) is beyond me.

Not only would it have left the model making divisions alone, it would have been cheaper for them.

But I doubt such considerations ever even entered their minds.

Corporations today don't seem to give a damn about their employees or any portion of the public that they are not directly trying to make a profit off of.

It is too late to revoke their existence now. They are too entwined in the economy for it to be undone.

But allowing a company to become a Corporation is quite literally a legal license to steal.

When a company is making a profit, the shareholder/owners get that profit.

If they run up a debt and go bankrupt all they loose is their shares.

Thousands of creditors can be stiffed - debts to them unpaid.

When the going is good and profitable the shareholders put the money in their personal pockets. But when the company goes under leaving tons of creditors unpaid they don't have to give back any of those profits to pay the debt.

A legal license to steal. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
smercs32118 said:
Actually, the most recent word is that they decided, in their own financial insight, not to stop the Trek line, so everyone can relax, there will be plenty of kits around. This was as of a few weeks ago, reliable source insists they will not cut of ST kits on the production line. How long, that I don't know.
Thanks for the info. :)

Any links? I couldn't find anything about that when I googled RC2 earlier. But there is so much stuff out there on the web I'm not surprised I missed it.
 

·
Oxidation Genius
Joined
·
31,283 Posts
They're not frakkin' idiots, they're the Anti-Christ of the sci fi modeling industry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
One good thing that came out of RC2 take over - for me - was that the price of these large models went down in the UK.

When the 1/350th pl trek kits came out, they were around £50 ($100)and the 1/1000 1701's were about £15 ($30). When RC took over, with (what I assume was) their bigger distrirbution base, the price dropped by half for the larger kits and the smaller, to £8.

When I think back to the early 90's with ERTL kits averaging at about £22.00 ($40), I have to stop myself getting another of the 1/350's!

The obvious flip side is that they qaushed the trek line!

Mike
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
315 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
Thanks for the info. :)

Any links? I couldn't find anything about that when I googled RC2 earlier. But there is so much stuff out there on the web I'm not surprised I missed it.
Linda Smiles, at Starship Modeler, stated that she had spoken to a Rep at RC, and they were continuing the line, but she wasn't sure of their commitment level, and how long this would last. So I thought they could be pulling a ruse to get ST fans freaked out to buy up kits in large numbers. Then, state that the line would continue later, great way to get sales way up. A "disinformation" technique to motivate sales is not unknown, or am I being too "X Files"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
Bay7 said:
One good thing that came out of RC2 take over - for me - was that the price of these large models went down in the UK.

When the 1/350th pl trek kits came out, they were around £50 ($100)and the 1/1000 1701's were about £15 ($30). When RC took over, with (what I assume was) their bigger distrirbution base, the price dropped by half for the larger kits and the smaller, to £8.

When I think back to the early 90's with ERTL kits averaging at about £22.00 ($40), I have to stop myself getting another of the 1/350's!

The obvious flip side is that they qaushed the trek line!

Mike
In American dollars the larger models have not changed in price at all that I have seen.

If you look at American web merchants I think you'll see that still seems to be the case.(I'm not speaking of Ebay of course).

I've bought a few things from Comet-Miniatures and have noticed the exact opposite - i.e. models that used to be less expensive in American dollars are now way more expensive in American dollars over the same period.

And these models are GK one of a kind to mass produced.

I have seen no evidence in the US that RC2 has expanded the distribution of Polar Lights kits.

Quite to the contrary, they almost immediately took a ton of PL kits that could have been sold through hobby shops and dumped them to a company named Big Lots here in the states to get rid of them quickly.

I don't believe because you saw the price drop in the UK that that is evidence that RC2 increased the distribution of those kits.

That would take time and dedication to the product. And I've seen absolutely no evidence that RC2 has taken any effort to expand Polar Lights popularity or customer base.

I've seen no evidence that RC2 has made any attempt to promote or use their other companies' channels to more widely distribute Polar Light products.

They haven't used their wider distrubution channels in the US at least.

I'm more inclined to think it had more to do with a weak dollar vs the British pound then RC2 working to better distribute PL products. Again, I've noticed that products from the UK have gotten more expensive in US dollars during the same time you have found products from the US to be cheaper in British currency.

Because the price dropped after RC2 bought out PL, doesn't mean it occured because RC2 bought them out.

I'm not sure what the reason is, currency is just a guess based on personal observations. But whatever the reason is, I would be extremely surprised that your cheaper prices have anything to do with RC2 going to the problem of going to the trouble of promoting Polar Lights kits by leveraging their other distribution channels.

The only thing I've seen them do with Polar Lights, Ertl and other companies is buy them out, extract a tiny percentage of products they are making,

kill it and throw away the rest of the carcass.

To use an analogy of what RC2 is doing, let me say that I have no objections to people killing animals to live and eat as long as they do it in a manner that isn't wasteful or cause extinction.

RC2 however, reminds me of those capturing sharks for Chinese shark fin soup just so they can cut off the fins, then they throw the whole rest of the it back in the ocean to drown,

or the people who are slaughtering elephants to get the tusks, leaving the entire rest of the animal to go to waste and die.

They are just buying companies to cut away their tusks and leaving the rest of the company to lay dead and rotting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,462 Posts
smercs32118 said:
Linda Smiles, at Starship Modeler, stated that she had spoken to a Rep at RC, and they were continuing the line, but she wasn't sure of their commitment level, and how long this would last. So I thought they could be pulling a ruse to get ST fans freaked out to buy up kits in large numbers. Then, state that the line would continue later, great way to get sales way up. A "disinformation" technique to motivate sales is not unknown, or am I being too "X Files"?

Well the most recent info that Linda got is that at the end of this year, 2007, AMT will be no more.
And RC2 will conentrate on products for children, if I remember correctly.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top