Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do this more often.

I built this Pal MWM for my kid over the course of a single weekend.

Typically I tend to spend an annoying amount of time getting my models “just so,” but there’s something very satisfying about building a kit on the quick, straight out of the box, damn the torpedos full speed ahead. No fancy lighting, no elaborate surface prep, no painstaking structural “fixes,” just good, old-fashioned model-building fun like I had when I was a kid.

My son and his pals will no doubt trash this thing while playing with it, but that’s cool. It was a blast to build, and I need all the air-brush weathering & shading practice I can get. :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
What he's saying that he has more faith in your one weekend builds than some other folks' three week projects...

to paraphrase Dr. McCoy

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys.

For the record, that's just plain, old Model Master rattle-can copper as the base coat. Weathering/ shading is Tamiya hull red acrylic applied via airbrush.

Ordinarily I would've sealed the finish with some sort of clear coat, but in this instance I didn't bother.

I really would like to light one of these some day, but for those seeking decent results without a lot of bother this kit is as user-friendly as it gets.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Beautiful paint job and beautiful photography.

Thanks for posting.

I appreciate you posting the colors, that's always the first question for me.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying this model. How is the fit among the parts? did it require any puttying or fitting?
Overall fit is excellent.

Although not "required" I elected to do some very minor puttying along the hull seam and heat-ray extension.

A very simple, but well thought out kit. And, from what I can tell, extremely accurate.

I appreciate you posting the colors, that's always the first question for me.
Alclad copper would probably have given me a smoother, more professional-looking finish, but the Model Masters stuff is better at hiding errant dust particles and/or minor scratches/ imperfections on the primed surface. If you go with Alclad you really have to prep the hull carefully, because Alclad metallics hide nothing.

Also, unless you're planning on giving the model to your 9-year-old (like I did) I would strongly suggest clear-coating the copper finish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rob, I'm probably gonna start this kit next. How did you get it so the
clear parts don't show the hollow interior?
Oh, and great looking work by the way!

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts