Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been Nitro Oval threads in the past, but I just wanted to start a fresh thread with the '07 outdoor Oval season upcoming. Anyone with any helpful knowledge on the 1/10 scale Nitro pan car .09 or .12 series would be very welcomed to share there thoughts on such topics as chassis, engines and what all it takes to complete these cars etc., any advice to help anyone who may be interested.

Chassis:
BANDIT
COYOTE
HYPERDRIVE
KSG

Engines:
.09 AP HORNET
.12 O.S. Engines

Tires:
John's BSR Capps

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I bought a .09 HD car and love it! the class is growing at our track and is one of the most fun and competitive we have.Mclin started the .09 series and you can check it out on his site RC-OVAL.COM plenty of good racing this year for the .09 guys.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Glad to see someone start a thread like this. As most know, we have a .09 series (RC-Oval .09 Series). All of the rules and race schedule can be found on my site.

GASCAR also has a nitro schedule using the .12 engine and you can find all of their rules and race schedule on their site, just do a Google search.

As for a gas chassis, Bandit, KSG, Hyperdrive and Coyote make up the ones that are available. The KSG and Coyote are being up graded for 07’. I have seen the KSG and it will follow the Gen 2 format. I haven’t seen the new Coyote yet but Tim told me that there will be a lot of changes to it.

As for what else you will need to go racing; you will need the appropriate engine (.09 or .12). For .09 the only engine allowed is the A.P. Hornet .09 with no internal engine mods allowed. The .12 is the O.S. 12 and the same deal about mods.

You will need a fuel tank (KSG has one in their kit). We use the Associated fuel tank and it is mandated. For the .09 series you will need to decide if you are going to run the Limited or Open class. The Limited class uses a blue exhaust stinger which is the same size as the stock one. The blue one is for ease of tech inspection. The Open class allows for a larger exhaust with the Gold stinger.

You will also need a two shoe clutch and clutch bell/pinion gear combination. The gear is limited in the Limited class but open in the faster Open class.

Also, if you have not run nitro before, you will need a starter box, receiver pack, glow plug igniter and fuel line. All nitro racing limits the fuel to 20 percent nitro. In the .09 series, you can practice with what ever brand you want but for the racing, we furnish 20 percent White Lighting.

As for the racing, we use a 5 min IFMAR format for the qualifiers and a Lap format for the main. (Usually 100 laps) The GASCAR series us more of an enduro type thing and they run 250 lap mains.

One more thing, the first race for the .09 series will be in the “real” Daytona International Speedway in March 23rd-25th in conjunction with Mike Beans 2007 Speedway Spectacular.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
McLin, first of all let me say thanks for all your support in Nitro Oval Racing, can you give Mfg, P/N's for the whole clutch/clutch bell/flywheel assembly including the pinion/ spur gears, I am new to all this and would like to have P/N's to all the little pieces to complete the package, thanks again for all your support.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Clutch: MIP 4 N 1 clutch: #3012

Associated Fuel tank for GT10 #7719

Clutch nut: Associated #7604

Flywheel: Associated #7610

17 tooth clutch bell: Associated 7607 (you should have 15 – 18)

Kimbrough spur gears (32 pitch) 60, 62, 64 should cover most of it.

Air filter such as Motor Saver 10ST

KSG cooling head, flywheel tool, stingers, available thru my site for the .09’s

Starter box: I use the OFNA True Start #10258

Igniter: Too many to list but get a GOOD one

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, now that's what I call support, I have been looking on TOWER HOBBIES but didn't have a clue about the P/N's, thanks alot McLin, you helped me out alot. I had another question, does the engines bolt right on to the chassis or is there spacers needed?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
KSG has there own motor mounts and so do Hyperdrive and Bandit. You will have to get the ones that fit your chassis. If you buy a new kit, they will be in there.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Cliff, not looking real good right now. If they do not come in Friday, it will be after the Birds before anymore are cut and then I am not sure how fast they will get on them.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I spoke with Tim and he said that the new parts and materials are on order but it will be a while before the new car is ready. He is excited about the new car and as soon as I get something on it I will put it up on the Oval site.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
McLin said:
I spoke with Tim and he said that the new parts and materials are on order but it will be a while before the new car is ready. He is excited about the new car and as soon as I get something on it I will put it up on the Oval site.
Looking forward to it McLin. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts