Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's a question for y'all who support your local hobby shops and stuff.

Is there *anywhere* - i mean, hobby shops, manufacturers, etc. - that will take in old NiCd/NiMH batteries, old brushed motors, and even brushed-motor ESC's for say, a discount or credit toward purchasing new stuff, since most everywhere, NiMH, NiCds, and brushed stuff is pretty much obsolete? I mean, I have like 8 sets of NiMH/NiCds, and about six or seven brushed motors, that I can't really use any more, because it's all been "outdated" by LiPo and brushless. It's just all sitting on my shelves or in the bottom of my toolbox.

Y'know, there's all this talk about getting people *started* in this hobby; how 'bout trying to keep people *in* the hobby that have outdated stuff? I think it'd be great if shops would offer some kind of "Recycle/Restart" program, so that those of us on a limited budget could at least keep up with the times. ;) I spent a lot of money last year just trying to get back into oval racing, and with the package deal I got, it was all 4500mAh NiMHs and brushed motors. Now, I can't run this stuff anywhere; it was on its way out just about when I bought it. Then I had to spend even *more* money just to go LiPo/brushless because that's where everything was headed. I have not just one, but two ESC's for brushed motors that I can't use any more. It's all stuff I can't even *sell*, because no one's running this stuff any more.

It'd be awesome if the local hobby shops picked up on this "overabundance" of old equipment and we could trade it in for like, say, some sort of discount (30% ;) ) or just trade for new stuff (4 packs of old 4-cells for one new 1s?)

What do y'all think? I know quite a few of you who can afford to spend money to keep up, but for those of us who can't, this is what I was thinking about.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
30% puts you below what the shop paid its distributor for that 1c battery.
The hobby shop still has to make some money, and they'd be left HOPING you're going to come back and race religiously at their track. That's why frequent buyers' cards and things like that are more effective for the hobby shop owner. Spend so much money and we'll give you a discount, thanking you for past patronage. Giving you the discount upfront is suicide.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not to mention,what would the LHS do with all the outdated stuff anyhow??
I believe that there could still be a place for it,but I have no idea where.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, that's kinda what I was askin' - I'm not in the business or anything, so not sure *if* a discount is even workable. So I wouldn't know how much a LHS makes off of certain stuff. But - I seem to remember some years ago, that some battery manufacturers were offering *something* - can't recall exactly - for returning used batteries and recycling them. I remember seeing ads in the big magazines for like IP, Trinity, Reedy, and some others for returning used cells, but wasn't sure if something like that existed on the LHS level.

I guess my question/comments were geared more toward returning/recycling equipment that we can't even use any more, due to the technology of today - LiPo/brushless. I know down here, there is *no one* running brushed stuff any more, with the exception of our "local" Legends track. But they're running 1600/1700 NiCds, and 27T motors, not 4500 NiMHs and 19-turn motors. So I've got useless stuff sitting here, that I can't even sell on eBay or HobbyTalk, because it's not being run anywheres; even at the 'Birds last year, there was only one brushed motor class (and I ended up running in it). So what do I do? Just suck up the cost of the stuff I bought and say, "Oh well..."? I *don't* have the money to spend on all-new stuff, unlike some of y'all. The stuff I have now (all my brushless/LiPo stuff) is all used, and bought over the course of the past year; not all at once.

I certainly understand that it's not the LHS's responsibility to "pay for technolgy changes within the hobby", but then, too, I would guess that the LHS's have to understand that we've now got stuff sitting around that's not usable (raceable) any more. I would certainly support my LHS MORE if they offered some kind of return program.

I was just looking for a possible way to maybe save a little money (offset the cost of new equipment), stay *in* the hobby, but still be able to get at least *something* brand-new...I know that some hobby shops have a "consignment" program if you want to sell your old stuff (they make a little bit off of you by "advertising" your stuff for sale), but then you don't get to race your stuff in the meantime while it sits on the shelf. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Outdated stuff + Place for it = Smithsonian museum in Washington D.C. I have the same trouble but I just put it off to the side in the shop with the other ancient stuff.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I've seen a few posts from you about this in different threads on here. Sounds like your beef should be with the person who sold you this stuff to begin with. I don't know about where you live, but round cells have been dead for at least 2 years and 19 turn for 3 or more. Not trying to be mean, but you are going to either have to buy newer stuff or find another hobby.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Yep, if you got all that last year I think you kinda got screwed on the deal...Not trying to be mean or anything just being real. At this point I am thinking you will not be able to sell it. The batts have dead cells (I am pretty sure, as they died 2 weeks after you buy them). And the motors are just out dated now.

Cut your losses, save your pennies and get the new stuff. A ballistic motor will keep you in the game, and a TP 1C pack should be good for another 6 months. You can prob also get a SMC 25C 1 cell pack on the cheap so you can run the 17.5 truck class.

Again not trying to be mean or anything, just not sugarcoating the not so great deal you got on the used stuff (being it was outdated before you bought it).

Joel White

PS if you have any questions before you make a purchase feel free to PM me. I will do my best to get you the right stuff cheap.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
What's funny is when I quit racing go karts 10 years ago the class was stock light.

I just got another Kart and I'm fixing to get back in to karting. They still run Stock light 10 years later.. I think the longest a class stays around in the rc world these days is a year and a half tops! Then something else comes out and we repeat the process..

It's crazy to think that I could have pulled a go kart out of the shop after 10 years and be able to take it to the track and run the SAME class you did back in the day! To me thats what RC needs. I'm tired of having to buy new batteries, motor's, stators, rec packs... to keep switching classes!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It's crazy to think that I could have pulled a go kart out of the shop after 10 years and be able to take it to the track and run the SAME class you did back in the day! To me thats what RC needs. I'm tired of having to buy new batteries, motor's, stators, rec packs... to keep switching classes!
E X A C T L Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R/C needs to be more like other hobbies like golf, bowling, paintball, pool, baseball etc. where you can just grab your equipment and go, not have to switch to a 50C battery/COT body/new esc.

This is part of the reason dirt is so popular! All you need is an EDM body, 4 silver tires and a dodc motor + battery.

off topic, sorry

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
But you wont be competitive. Just like all the other things you mentioned. You can get out on the track, but you wont win...

Just like the go cart, or golf, or fishing, or pool, or baseball. ALL of them have advancements in technology. You would be kidding yourself if you say they dont.

It is just like most any other hobby...You can spend as much money as you want. I know people that keep up on about 50 bucks a month or less...Spend what you can...I know I would love to have the new Callaway FT driver, but my Titleist works fine. Will I drive it as far???? No, but I will work on my short game and try to keep up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tommy and dpreston is right. My family has been racing big cars on the local oval since the 50's. We still use recycled parts from the old days to run up front and be competitive. That's exactly what r/c needs! Now how do you tell the manufacturers not to develop new products? Oh and that was totally off topic...

Anyways, spend the dough when you can and add those parts when you can.

·
Registered
304 Posts
im in the same boat i got things here that i cant give away things to my uncle but as soon a some things come to geather im planning on opening a shop and im sorry but im going to have me set classies and thats its. i'm only 23 but im seen guys spend 1200-1500 to get started then 3 months later there car is not beaing ran at any local track, or they haft to run 4-5hours just to race.

see im all about let them race. tell ppl 2wd or 4wd give them a motor and battery limit and let them run. for get all this you need this body this chassie to runin this class.
its a hobby it should be fun

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I knew this would be a back and forth like always on here, oh well. looks like a good discussion although way off topic lol

J-dub I partly agree.

But, for example, let's say that the rules didn't change (or froze...or whatever you want to call it) for a year or 2 using my local track for example...let's just say the rules at my track were the same as last year...

Novak SS 13.5
25C SMC only
Nationwide body
Open tire

1 year later, the same equipment will be just as fast, with the exception that maybe a fresh battery might help and chassis's are always getting a tick faster.

You wouldn't be off as much as if the battery rule was upped to 50c, and now the new esc's. One little change in the rules (50c allowed) would put you completely out to lunch.

At the beginning of the season, my good friend I go to the races with, was going to just race dirt because they changed the battery rule at our track to allow 50c. Well a racer spoke up and they changed the rule back, so he is racing with his old battery (and is competitive). We are getting 45 a week and had 71 last week at a trophy race. This is an 88 ft track.

I know a couple guys that were going to quit carpet because of the new esc's, but my local track isn't allowing them, so they are racing.

Jayp, well said. but it kills me when someone says how do you stop manufacturers from making new products. you don't. that is there job. it is the tracks job to make rules that racers can afford.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I took my old NiCd/NiMH to my city's household hasardous waste facitliy and they took them FREE!

I thought that was a good enough deal. On top of that, they even took my old motor oil.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
What's funny is when I quit racing go karts 10 years ago the class was stock light.

I just got another Kart and I'm fixing to get back in to karting. They still run Stock light 10 years later.. I think the longest a class stays around in the rc world these days is a year and a half tops! Then something else comes out and we repeat the process..

Stock light is the best class out there! Enjoy! You're right!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
But you wont be competitive. Just like all the other things you mentioned. You can get out on the track, but you wont win...

Just like the go cart, or golf, or fishing, or pool, or baseball. ALL of them have advancements in technology. You would be kidding yourself if you say they dont.

It is just like most any other hobby...You can spend as much money as you want. I know people that keep up on about 50 bucks a month or less...Spend what you can...I know I would love to have the new Callaway FT driver, but my Titleist works fine. Will I drive it as far???? No, but I will work on my short game and try to keep up.
My buddy has a $14 driver that kicks a$$. Where is the $14 R/C driver?

·
Registered
304 Posts
right there its the tracks job. my local track its does not matter what you run a pro truck. we have sc trucks that run in it. as long as its 2wd and 1/10 they dont care.well as long as its some kind of truck. the run there are kind of thrown out the window buts its all to have a good time. its your not haveing a good time the there is no point is doing it.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I do see what you guys are saying. I was just making a point that all the other things change as well, its not just RC Racing.

I would love stability in the hobby. I hope that TOUR is doing that, but it is a SLOW process. Its all good. I agree with you guys, just making a point.

·
Registered
304 Posts
its something that is there in any thing. something can be done if a group of ppl get hold on it before it goes to far. just whating on the new year to come in. then i should be set and a new shop and tracks will be comming to SC . we need a on raod track bad we have them but there like3-4 hours away form me. and im sorry im not running all that way out there just to run. knowing that what i have is going to stay up but not win. its not worth it for me. most ppl when they run they get mad over littles, when i run i ext to get hit and get passes its all fun and games to me.

my uncle by far had the best shop/track in my view. he has 3 classies stock, mod, and open. all he asked for the open was ppl be fair and let him know what they where running motor wise. so it could make it fair for every one.

i remember there was one guy that ran a 2wd car in open and it was quick. every one esle ran AWD but he would place in the top 5 every time. he had no hard filling for any one.

its things like that that would help this hobby less stress on the racers. but i might take what you said and have a trade up program or something.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts