Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some 4600MAH batteries to run in a legend class. The batteries have been sitting on a shelf for quite awhile and last week, they seemed to be inconsistent as to whether they got a full charge or not. What would be the best way to cycle the batteries to get them up and running again? I have a Turbo 35 with older software, an Onyx 230 charger, an LRP Pulsar 2 and a couple of Thunder AC6 chargers from Hobby Partz.

Should I just peak them one any of the chargers then discharge them with something as simple as a light bulb tray?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i dont play with nimh batterys any more. but i would run them down and charge them slow. i have fond the slower you charge batterys after they set, they seem to come back to life. well mind did any ways.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I agree slow charge or (trickle charge) worked for me but make sure they dont get really hot for that could mean a shorted cell.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I run the legends class here in NC and that is the cell of choice, I have found that discharging them down to .90 volts per cell and then cycling them a couple times during the week really wakes them up on race day, I cycle at 1.5 amps for 15 miinutes then bump them up to 6.5 amps and they generally peak around 6.35 volts and these are two year old cells by the date code so thats pretty darn good. We run 5 minute mains and run time or punch is not an issue( I run outta skill WAY before I run outta battery! LOL) My charger is an onyx 230 (best charger for the money period.) and my I discharge on either a Novak smart tray or my Integy 030 discharger. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions then shoot me a pm.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Waking them up is the phrase.. and the way to do it is charge and discharge.. let them cool and do it again..
A 10 buld discharger is the simplest way.
And if they are stuborn, slow charge them... 1.5 or 2 amps.
the discharge them at about 20 amps.
if you have a discharge tray that you can use that would be even better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts