Hobbyist Forums banner

Nice car but is it worth the $$$$ ??

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  videojimmy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Ho Detroit cars used to bring good money. Back when they were being made they were highly sought after. Now I feel the market has softened a great deal on them.
I think the best collecting prices are over for these cars. The sellers asking price seems to be the max price received on the bay for HO Detroit cars these days. At around $65.00 it is fair any higher then that and I feel it will be hard to recoup a profit in years to come. In short HO Detroit had it's day in the sun but it's over now.
Well that's my 2 cents worth.

#4 ·
HO who???

I just really doubt it will continue to appreciate so consistantly and irreversibly over time as to be worth this initial investment Neil.....
...is it that much better than that built by JL/AW that the price is justified ?
....naaaah I'm sorry... but my money is better spent on a genny in decent shape or even a MM example. Don't doubt it's made well... but with the less than stellar history associated with the brand coupled with the fact that you can put those wheels on another goat... I'll pass. You can have a good looker and piece that will hold it's value for years for waaay less money. nd

#5 ·
Personally I don't buy HO cars an an "investment". I buy this stuff for the joy of it. If a " Goat " by JL/AW or MM can give me the same " Mojo" as an " HO-Detroit " why pay more ?
If I can have a collection of different Atlas, Marx, Eldon, Lionel etc. in resincast on a T-jet type chassis thats good enough for me.For example I have built a bunch of Marx Lincolns & Rolls & Atlas Pontiac's in different colors without having to destroy the family budget.I see guys at shows dropping
$1K+ on just a few pieces & if they are millionaires God bless them but not at the expense of financial family priorities.Sometimes the track manager's are right.

Neal :dude:

#6 ·
Would have to agree, great renditions from HO Detroit. But with the others that have joined the market offering the same bodies for farless even though they're not quite at the same level of quality makes it hard to pay for something I'm not sure I'd put on the track. JMO. :) rr

#8 ·
i'm sure all that quality looks great under a magnifying glass. but whizzing past on the track, except for the white roof, it looks an awful lot like the JL pullback i bought for something like $3.00 back when they came out. and since i'm in the hobby to run 'em, and white spray paint is cheap, i'd go with the JL. i really wanted an HOD Cutlass too, but i don't feel so bad now that I have a couple from Dash.

now, i gotta admit, i am suffering a serious jones for the HOD Grand Prix...

--rick

#11 ·
I'm with Neal....run them!
Some a little more prudently than others ....but run them!

Commander Straker's car ???? hahahahahaha! Whatever dude! Ante at 210 bux ???? Well I rekon that's about right to support that nasty crack habit yer on...clearly yer hitten' it a bit hard. Could I intrest you in Wonder Woman's invisible plane?

I cant wait to win that ugly piece of crap and park it next to my puke green Avanti... NOT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.