Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not hardly. But after seeing some of the posts here from some posters you would think we are only minutes away from needing a new hobby.

Do yourself a favor, take a deep breath, have a beer and then read the article over on OvalEdge.

Double Thumbs Up Cory!

http://www.ovaledge.com/news/singlepost/oval-racing-is-dead

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? Seemed pretty straight foward to me.

The gist of that article of Cory's, as I read it, is basically what I posted a few days ago.

Shut up and race.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I hope oval aint dead! I just worked on my car all week and plan to race in the morning. I sure hope I aint the only one to show up! LOL!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
"Speed costs money.....how fast you wanna go?"

Maybe that is what I should have wrote!

But really, the article was meant more to just put things in a bit of perspective. There is a lot of BS floating around the oval world right now and we are all (including myself) getting worked up a little prematurely.

Fact of the matter is, all hobbies advance and if you wanna keep being a part of it, you either have to advance or get left behind. Don't piss and moan about it, just do what you can, have fun, and race.

Much like the ESC dilemma, some of you will like that article and some will not.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Fact of the matter is, all hobbies advance and if you wanna keep being a part of it, you either have to advance or get left behind. Don't piss and moan about it, just do what you can, have fun, and race.
My only thought, and/or concern on this way of thinking is this...

YOU (a racer) Do NOT have to have the NEWEST/ LATEST / Greatest product to put on GOOD Racing.

Take 20 GREAT DRIVERS - give them all a handful of old crappy NiCad batteries, and a MAUBUCHI MOTOR....and you can have a GREAT COMPETITIVE race!

RACING isn't about the BEST STUFF!

·
Registered
598 Posts
My only thought, and/or concern on this way of thinking is this...

YOU (a racer) Do NOT have to have the NEWEST/ LATEST / Greatest product to put on GOOD Racing.

Take 20 GREAT DRIVERS - give them all a handful of old crappy NiCad batteries, and a MAUBUCHI MOTOR....and you can have a GREAT COMPETITIVE race!

RACING isn't about the BEST STUFF!
I totally agree...that is why I say do what you can, have fun , and race. It shouldn't be about having the latest and greatest equipment to enjoy the hobby. But, like it or not, at some point you will have to upgrade equipment if you plan to stay competitive.

Unfortunately, racers make it about the best stuff. When a racer has the "perception" that they must have that fast, new item...nothing ever changes that perception except actually getting that fast, new item.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Don't believe it is about "good" or "bad" races...it's about the win or potential win. The "A" main is the goal, to actually win the "A" main is the crowning achievement and at whatever cost. Mentality is.. 2nd place is 1st place loser
and all other "mains" are consolation races!

That said, do what you have to do to stay in the "A" once there and to achieve the "A" if not there. Which means buys the latest car, ESC, battery, radio, charger, tires .... you name it so you can maintain (or gain) the edge!

Been standing on the fringe reading current events...after over 25 years in the r/c car hobby sport still the same discussions just different players

·
Registered
118 Posts
I havn't even driven my car yet, and already it's outdated. How discouraging is that? But really, I don't buy into this whole nonsense. Our local TQ has a two year speedo, and by oval standerds, that's prehistoric.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
For me it's not dead ....I just traded in carpet and asphalt for dirt, Round cells for lipo's and brushed motors for brushless. And as for the saying speed costs ...how fast you wanna go". I'm running the DODC 13.5 latemodel class with a 10 to 20 yrs old car a Terminator. Then there's the soon to be outdated GTB speedo. Well with all that and chassis work and plying with gearing 6 races into the indoor dirt season my old car has made 5 A mains. No wins but yes 5 A mains. Have I won any yet NO am I happy YES.

So oval is not dead it's just getting a bit more dirty than usual :):thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
with this snowstorm baddog I'd be suprised if anybody showed up.

Hows the weather down there.
LOL!!! Great day at MTR in sunny FLA!!! A bit gusty but the weather was just cool enough for a sweatshirt. Car ran well, didn't break nothing....but settled for second all day. Gaining on it....but didn't quite get there today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Who is this Cory guy? Is he a manufacturer? Is he a championship driver? I've never heard of him. What makes him think he has earned the right to get on a soapbox and preach such? Just because somebody can string words together on a computer does not make him an expert or authorize him or her to pass such judgements. Such editorials are ridiculous. I have looked at this ovaledge. It appears to be something an amateur came up with to try and advertise for RC companies and swindle some free stuff from of it.

Al

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
I have wondered that myself. Best I can figure is he is a guy with an opinion, just like everyone else. He just has the ability to have his own place to voice his opinion so he does.
Who is this Cory guy? Is he a manufacturer? Is he a championship driver? I've never heard of him. What makes him think he has earned the right to get on a soapbox and preach such? Just because somebody can string words together on a computer does not make him an expert or authorize him or her to pass such judgements. Such editorials are ridiculous. I have looked at this ovaledge. It appears to be something an amateur came up with to try and advertise for RC companies and swindle some free stuff from of it.

Al

·
Registered
598 Posts
Who is this Cory guy? Is he a manufacturer? Is he a championship driver? I've never heard of him.
I am a racer Alan, just like you. I race at Easley (I believe you claim to although I've never seen you there). I'm not a manufacturer or championship driver, just a racer that enjoys the hobby. Maybe if you actually raced, instead of wasting peoples time on here with useless banter, you would know me cause I race at YOUR home track.

What makes him think he has earned the right to get on a soapbox and preach such? Just because somebody can string words together on a computer does not make him an expert or authorize him or her to pass such judgements. Such editorials are ridiculous.
Nothing makes me think I have earned the right. What made you think you earned the right to criticize me, my opinion, or my website here on HobbyTalk? I'm no expert, nor do I claim to be. I simply write about and cover the hobby like the 30,000 other RC related sites out on the interwebz.

I have looked at this ovaledge. It appears to be something an amateur came up with to try and advertise for RC companies and swindle some free stuff from of it.
Well by all means, I encourage you to build one better and give it a go. Since you are an RC racer that doesn't race, you should have plenty of man hours to put into it like I have. After all, I'm just an amateur that is swindling free stuff right? So, I can only imagine what a professional of your stature could create for us.

Here is my only piece of advice for you....if you don't like it, don't view it.

Have a great day!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts