Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mattels' profits fell 5.2% in the third quarter of 2004. Here is the rest of the story:

Toy manufacturing rivals Mattel Inc. and Hasbro Inc. reported earings early Monday, and both saw weakness in the third quarter. Mattel's profits fell 5.2 percent in the quarter due to slow sales of its Barbie, Matchbox and Hot Wheels toys, though the company managed to beat earnings forecasts by a penny. Hasbro, meanwhile, took an accounting charge that cause the toy maker to miss earnings estimates by 6 cents per share. Mattel lost 69 cents to $17.28, while Hasbro shed 46 cents to $18.

I wonder how PM/RC2 has been doing on the JL line compared to a year ago? I'm sure the economy has hit them like most...BUT...the HWs/MB line is about the cheapest thing on the martket to buy in toys. Have the HWs people got PO'd at the 100 FE's with 95 variations, some multiple? Are the Blings, Swoopy, Hardnose, etc to goofy? Remember, actually a majority of HWs are bought by adults for themselves.

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting Bob, thanks.

From the first pics I've seen of the new HWs Droptops I think these are, in my opinion, the goofiest yet of the turn towards cartoonish cars.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the info, interesting ! From my stand point I quit buying HW's some time ago, To many Fe's to many junk castings, crappy wheels, to many worthless tampos ETC. and just plain to many variations ! I buy a few now and them but not many, I like the tooned muscle cars, and a few others thrown in but most of my die cast bucks are spent on JL and a few others to a lesser degree ! As for the Dropped Tops, If I wanted a car to look like that I'd just step on it !!
I think Mattel would be a lot farther ahead if they just went back to making Cool Cars with decent wheels !

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I buy an occasional $1 car, but haven't in a few months.

Even my 2 year old can tell the difference. He told his momma the other day, when she offered to buy him a Hotwheel, that he didn't want a Hotwheel, he wanted a Johnny Lightning!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
i still buy hotwheels even though they do have alot of goofy castings.i like the tooned muscle cars and i'll probably buy some of the drop tops.i know the jls have alot more detail and the castings are more authentic,but there also more expensive.around here you can get hws for 75 cents. i kinda like all the variations and different castings.i usually dont buy them but when i was a kid i'm sure they would have got my attention.dont get me wrong,alot of my moneys spent on jls and i'm not sticking up for hw's i just think there main consumer is probably the kids.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Actually, Brand X sales are only down about 3%, which surprises me, with all the new segments being opened or re-opened by the competition........Monster Garage cars, Homie Rollerz, Phat Cars, Micro cars, OCC, Creepsters etc. Even though all of them aren't exactly flying off the shelves, every $5 spent on something else is $5 not spent on HW or MB. I did some research last year and found out that HW/MB is only about 20% of Mattel.......Barbie is the Culprit. Her sales are down 13%! I think that the reason Brand X isn't in worse trouble is the higher priced cars that they are flogging now.

I still enjoy the concept and out of the mainstream cars that the Big M finds and produces, like the Edonis B Engineering, Maserati Quattroporte, Tomahawk, etc. However, from what I've read on other boards a lot of collectors have stopped buying all the releases, partly because of the 100 FE's and goofy cars that have come out this year. I see a lot of people defecting to JL and other upscale brands. As long as the collectors are spending hundreds of dollars a year, a lot of them want something that they'll still enjoy looking at in a year or two. Some of the Brand X $3 to $5 cars are fairly well done, and from what I hear, they will be dropping back to 40 or so FE's next year, and will be restoring more "real" cars to the MB line. IMHO they have lost some customers permanently by trying to take advantage of the "gotta get'em all" mentality.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
It's true that Mattel has alienated some of its own hardcore collectors with this year's lineup. However, that's only a small percentage of sales and unfortunately there seems to be plenty more new collectors where they came from that actually like them.

One thing that interests me (or puzzles me!) is how many collectors actually say they hate the cars, but still buy them to complete the set. If that is not a sickness, I don't know what is.

I used to collect the full set of mainline cars because it was fun. After a while though, it occurred to me that I had tons of cars I never looked at, and the fun turned into a storage burden. Not the kind of fun I had expected over the long haul.

In any case, I would bet that Mattel's sluggish performance is more a reflection of the total economy, and as was mentioned, Barbie is a huge contributor. The HWs line does have its extreme shortcomings, but it's not the total reason for the poor overall performance.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Who cares!
I pretty well quit collecting HWs in 2002.
I was never able to finish the whole set for 2000 and 2001.
Scalpers and door-crashers were grabbing all the good stuff, anyway.
And I wasn't going to pay them, their unrealistic asking prices.
So I just gave up. And started buying a lot more JLs.
And I am still buying JLs with no regrets. A smart choice.
The only downside is the fact that JLs aren't readily available in Canada.
So most of of my JL purchases are from the good old US of A.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aside from the fact that JL castings are superior in relation to detail, spec and price I am shying away from many of the HW versions that I have witnessed as of late. I am new to these boards but have purchased JL products for the last few years and was drawn to these collectibles due to the quality craftmanship. I realize Mattel creates some great castings and exclusives (RLC line) which I own and still purchase but frustration is easily met trying to obtain 200+ pieces if you are trying to obtain the complete set. I will still pick up various quality pieces but I have to drop the ball on some of the new ideas and ploys to optimize sales with 100FE and various other castings--some good and some bad. All in all these are toys and these are my opinions but these "toys" and their sales are also comprised of many adult collectors and my interest in lagging outside of the RLC pieces. JL seems to cater to the collector interest and has certainly maintained my interest for several years now. Makes me wonder why I didnt join the club and resort to these boards sooner. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
T/A Tom said:
Mattels' profits fell 5.2% in the third quarter of 2004. Here is the rest of the story:

Have the HWs people got PO'd at the 100 FE's with 95 variations, some multiple? Are the Blings, Swoopy, Hardnose, etc to goofy? .
Yup! In the past two years I've given most of those f-ugly FEs and variations away. They make great donation fodder.

BTW, has anyone seen a decent display of HWs in the past year? Having moved within an hour of Carlisle and the weekly parade of car shows, it's no wonder that at TRU there were more JLs on the pegs then HWs.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If "Mattel" gets any of my money in the following year,it will be Charawheels by Bandai.(Japanese HW's)

Plenty 'o batvehicle castings not previously released in "1:64" scale;

Bandai:
1/64
Batman Movie Set
Set of 4 vehicles includes the Batmobile, Shielded-Batmobile, Bat Wing and the Joker's car.(Dodge Monaco)
Release Date: November 30, 2004

{all info provided by,
Kuan Chee Hai}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batman Returns Set
Set of 4 vehicles includes the Batmobile, Batmissile, Batskiboat and the Penguin's car.
Release Date : January 31, 2005

Batman Forever Set
Set of 3 vehicles includes the Batmobile, Batboat and Batwing, and features light-up capabilities.
Release Date : March 31, 2005

Batman & Robin Set
Set of 3 vehicles includes the Batmobile, Robin & Redbird, and Freeze Car.
Release Date : May 31, 2005

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I got tired of buying cars just to complete sequences of numbers in a series a few years back.I liked it a lot better when they did 12 cars for first editions.

Some of the stuff they have out to compete with JL is nice,but the plastic bases on many of them is a big turn off.
And a lot of them are dollar cars,with a wheel up grade.Sorry,but putting rubber tires on a car doesn't make it worth 5 or 6X more.

This year is definetly the least I have ever spent on "brand X" by far.I do like the plane that they did,and the custom bike and Dodge Tomahawk are nice too.

I've always been into the JL's.I even liked the Topper JL's more then HW's back in the day.

I try to get one of each new casting,in it's first release.And I have to say,this was a pretty good year for JL.Nothing that I've bought this year that I would put in my fishing tackle box to use as a sinker.

Mike

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
RobDog said:
Bandai:
1/64
Batman Movie Set
Set of 4 vehicles includes the Batmobile, Shielded-Batmobile, Bat Wing and the Joker's car.(Dodge Monaco)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Jokermobile Monaco!!! Does anyone have any pictures? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Thank you for the picture! That's one awesome Monaco. I don't suppose these will be available in the US?

And if anyone out there plans on ordering this set for just the Batmobiles, let me know- I could use extras of that Monaco!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts