Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Excellent job, I have never done this one either but have one in my stash for the not too distant future. You really did it perfectly. Dracula's coloring and clothing are perfect and the base is just as good. The detailing on it is excellent, at least in my humble opinion. Great one to add to your other Auroras.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent job, I have never done this one either but have one in my stash for the not too distant future. You really did it perfectly. Dracula's coloring and clothing are perfect and the base is just as good. The detailing on it is excellent, at least in my humble opinion. Great one to add to your other Auroras.
thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Great job! Thanks for showing the pictures - I've been curious as to how Revell remolded the head to look less like Lugosi this time around to save licensing fees. The original didn't look much like him, though.

It's amazing to hear from some of you who have never built one of these Aurora monsters. I've built dozens over the last forty years (though I blew up most of them with firecrackers).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good job on the model.

Anybody know if anyone makes an after-market replacement part of Dracula's ring? The original had one.

Just being a purist...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good job on the model.

Anybody know if anyone makes an after-market replacement part of Dracula's ring? The original had one.

Just being a purist...
This model came with a ring that was so rediculous that I did not bother to put it on. I threw it away.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
... what was the rationale for changing the head?
Frankie,

The estate of Bela Lugosi has apparently been playing hardball regarding the use of his likeness. So, rather than pay a higher licensing fee, Revell simply retooled the new head. The original was clearly, if not wholly accurately, based on Lugosi; this new one...well - BKS tried, darn it, and that's what counts!

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Very nicely done, and you redeemed that...ODD-looking...head totally!

·
Elder Statesman
1,940 Posts
Frankie,

The estate of Bela Lugosi has apparently been playing hardball regarding the use of his likeness. So, rather than pay a higher licensing fee, Revell simply retooled the new head. The original was clearly, if not wholly accurately, based on Lugosi; this new one...well - BKS tried, darn it, and that's what counts!
Bela, Jr., began his legal carreer by spotting the Aurora Dracula kit in the 1960's. Revell could have made a deal like Polar Lights did. Revell's kit should not have come out with that head, and what about the ring? I always hated what they did to the Batman, Superman, and Robin kits with the new heads. I would pay a little more for the Dracula kit the it was originally.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Bela, Jr., began his legal carreer by spotting the Aurora Dracula kit in the 1960's. Revell could have made a deal like Polar Lights did. Revell's kit should not have come out with that head, and what about the ring? I always hated what they did to the Batman, Superman, and Robin kits with the new heads. I would pay a little more for the Dracula kit the it was originally.
apls: I don't quite understand what you're saying here. What do you mean Bela Jr. "began his legal career by spotting the Aurora Dracula", and what was the deal Polar Lights made that Revell didn't or wouldn't?

And now that you mention it, what did happen to the ring? Why was it not included in Revell's reissue?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
This head looks absolutely nothing remotely like Lugosi's Dracula so I'm wondering if the Revell box even says Universal anywhere on it.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
...What do you mean Bela Jr. "began his legal career by spotting the Aurora Dracula", and what was the deal Polar Lights made that Revell didn't or wouldn't?...And now that you mention it, what did happen to the ring?
Frankie,

I think alps is reiterating a statement I made in my earlier post, #12. Apparently Bela, Jr., who is a lawyer, followed the precedent established by the heirs of John Wayne that allows an actor's estate to control the use of, and earn royalties from, that person's likeness. So, since the late 1990s, the legal indicia on monster model boxes and instructions have included permissions from the estates of Mr. Lugosi, Boris Karloff, the Chaneys, et al, in addition to the copyright notices from the various movie studios. Polar Lights seems to have been able to reach a satisfactory arrangement with the Lugosi estate that Revell did not.

Hence the change of Dracula's head. What happened to the ring I don't know; maybe the changes made to the kit to accommodate the new head necessitated the removal of the ring. That's the bad news; the good news is there are replacements for Batman, Dracula, and Superman's heads at the Parts Pit. Robin is tougher to find, but the Parts Pit does have a Wish List if anybody really wanted one. Or they could make a plea for one on these forums.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The new head sculpt is way out of proportion but I must say that the OP did a really nice job with this build and paint job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Revell Dracula kit I built last year came with the new yuck-ola head. (It was swiftly replaced by a fine A.M. version that was dead on Bela) The ring WAS included in my kit but I almost missed it because of the amount of flash on the sprue surrounding it. It took big work to carve it out of the styrene mess and clean it up.

The whole head switching thing really confuses me though. As FrankieFreak and others have stated above the original Aurora head looks NOTHING like Lugosi. The Aurora box art most certainly did but that doesn't even enter into it since Revell did away with that and replaced it with a pic of the model. Its interesting that the others they released had a second pic of the character that was clearly a representation of that that character from the Universal movie. All except Bela. Why they changed the head is a mystery.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts