Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am new to this scale model arena and wanted to introduce myself. I am a big Star Trek fan, so I decided that building Trek models would be a good hobby to start (I have now found that the hobby is an obsession). I am working on my first NX 01 (this one is for a friend, the next will be for me) and I wanted to get some advice on the colors. I used Testors MM Steel as the base coat, masked, and sprayed with a mix of MM Jet Exhaust/Steel (75/25 mix). It turned out fairly well, but I want MY display model to be really accurate. Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
welcome we3bears.. the polar lights website has GREAT reference pictures of the nx-01 to go by, and various threads on this forum discuss duplicating the patterns on the hull.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hi we3bears - like razorwyre said, use the images on the Polar Lights web page for the best reference - they were shot by Rob Bonchune who supervises effects for the show.

BTW, hope you're enjoying the model building experience!

chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not planning on lighting the first NX 01 I am working on, but I am thinking of lighting the second one. The model is too big to NOT at least think of lighting it. I have seen some threads on the lighting subject, but I have never attempted it. Any suggestions are welcom.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You might want to try lighting something simple first. I've been lighting models for a long time and I still make mistakes (not very often). Make your mistakes on something simple ... and expendable. Then you know what to do on the NX-01. Second: check out all of the lighting components available, and get the ones you like best. Jumping to a conclusion can be expensive.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do agree with JWRJR, try lighting some thing simple and expendable. And I also agree with checking around with lighting components.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
jwrjr said:
You might want to try lighting something simple first. I've been lighting models for a long time and I still make mistakes (not very often). Make your mistakes on something simple ... and expendable. Then you know what to do on the NX-01. Second: check out all of the lighting components available, and get the ones you like best. Jumping to a conclusion can be expensive.
That said, JWJR makes some really nice, easy to install circuits that do a great job. I'm in the process of lighting a Voyager and the NX, but I'm doing the Voyager first, as there are complications with the NX. If I can help just email me, plus, most of the guys on the board are always helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello all i am new to this board .
i love building anything from scratch or a kit and advancing it to lighting and sound.
i own verious models yet to be built . am preparing to build the nx01 from polar lights.
you are building these with metalic paints am i wrong in wanting to use acrylics?
sealing it with future (an acrylic polmer).
hoever please assist me in determing weather my plastic is abs or styrene.
she looks grey and do not smell like ruber. what is the best cement for this kit?
any info would help
thanks to all
tinker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts