Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when I signed up for HobbyTalk I was all RC and just did a little Nascar Collecting anyways I wanted to know some stuff because I'm just now starting to be into Regular Hot Wheels anyways I wanted to know some things.

1- What are Treasure Hunt cars and how hard are they to find?

2- Does Hot Wheels make any NASCAR or F1 products ? (I know they did at one point)

3- Besides Treasure Hunt's what are some other things to look for ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
1- Treasure hunts are limited edition cars randomly inserted in cases, basically the chase cars of HW. Im sure someone can explain this better than me, my brain is currently fried from the week
2-I dont recall ever seeing HW nascar, but they make some AWESOME F-1 stuff. HW is in kahoots with Ferrari pretty deep, so they have a good foot in the door with F1
3-Whatever you like!!!!

ps- Welcome to HT!!!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
1. Treasure Hunts are just like eyecandy said. For 2007 Mattel broke them down into 2 categories. Regular and Super. The years 2005 and 2006 seemed to be better years for hunts as they were a little bit more scarce on the pegs. The years 2002 through 2004 Treasure Hunts were overly abundant. 2001 on back to 1997 while limited, some castings were less desirable by collectors than others. 1996 saw a production increase on them to 25,000 with worldwide distribution. 1995 is the Holy Grail year for the Hunts. With 10,000 being made for 1995, they are the most desirable. The most expensive single TH from 1995 is the Camaro, often selling for over $300+.

2. Mattel did make some Nascar Hot Wheels in the latter part of the 90's and through 2003 possibly 2004. They even used castings not regularly associated with Nascar to promote drivers. A few of these castings include the Go Kart, Scorchin' Scooter, and GMC Motor Home. As for F-1, I know thay have done some F-1 related cars, but I haven't seen any personally.

3. Get the cars you like and interest you most. One thing, if you plan on buying from e bay, wait until the price drops for cars. When a car is new they go for extremely high and outrageous prices. Wait about a month to 6 weeks and see where the bidding on cars is at, by then all of the "I Got To Have It Now" people will be gone.

On a different note, Welcome to Hobbytalk, have fun, and Happy Hunting!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You guys anyways I'm ready to start collecting! I was wondering one more thing I remember back in 2004 Hot Wheels had like a huge variety of F1 stuff at my Auto Zone it was like a promotion I think anyways do they still have F1 Stuff at Retail or should I turn to the E- Bay I'm kinda kicking my self in the rear because I passed on them then oh well! Thanks for the help I look forward to sharing my finds on here thanks!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Amazon.com has some good HW F1 stuff that you might get cheaper than e-bay. Tower Hobbies is another good place for the larger scale HW. Finding it at a retail level is tough.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Juggalo82 said:
Thank You guys anyways I'm ready to start collecting! I was wondering one more thing I remember back in 2004 Hot Wheels had like a huge variety of F1 stuff at my Auto Zone it was like a promotion I think anyways do they still have F1 Stuff at Retail or should I turn to the E- Bay I'm kinda kicking my self in the rear because I passed on them then oh well! Thanks for the help I look forward to sharing my finds on here thanks!
Most of the F1 stuff is long gone but still can be found on auctions or at flea markets for cheap. There was an F1 car or two in the recent Hot Wheels Hall of Fame series and I believe there have also been some in the 100% line, but I'm not an expert in that area. (help AJ!)

As for Treasure Hunts, don't fall for the gimmick! They are just overhyped, underwhelming versions of car that were already released. Don't make the mistake I and many other collectors made by making them the most important part of your collection for a time. They simply aren't worth it. Just buy what you like and you'll enjoy collecting much more. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts