Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forums
I have been collecting 1/64th scale diecast for a long time with an alterior motive... I am an S scale train modeler.
As such, I am not so "in the loop" about die cast collecting and have a few questions.
First, maybe this is common knowledge in the collecting community, but where can you find new or good used vinyl 48 car carry cases? I used to get them at KB Toys, but then it seems Hot Wheels decided the design was too dated and replaced them with the hard plastic ones. I really don't like my cars rolling around in those cases and much prefer the old vinyl style.

Second, how close are the Pixar "Cars" playsets to 1/64th scale and where can one find them easily and or at a good price? they are out of stock at walmart.com, are they really popular?

Last, does anyone make cases or have suggestions for storing 1/64th scale semi trucks? I just keep most of mine in the origonal boxes which is a pain and takes up a lot of space.

Thanks,
SPLsaab

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Vinyl cases are long gone I think.
Shop goodwill

another one

But Walmart is selling some nice 48 car cases. The Pros like to line handgun cases with foam and custom cut openings for the cars.
And Welcome to the Hobbytalk Circus :hat:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
SPLsaab said:
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forums
I have been collecting 1/64th scale diecast for a long time with an alterior motive... I am an S scale train modeler.
As such, I am not so "in the loop" about die cast collecting and have a few questions.

Second, how close are the Pixar "Cars" playsets to 1/64th scale and where can one find them easily and or at a good price? they are out of stock at walmart.com, are they really popular?
Thanks,
SPLsaab
Compared to the regular 1/64 like Johnny Lightning and Hotwheels, the Pixar cars are a bit bigger. Depending on which cars you buy, it might not be that obvious, but something like The King will stand out. Tomica makes a Lightning McQueen that seems to be closer to a correct 1/64.
As for WalMart - Wait a week, they'll be back. The stores around here just got tons of them back in stock. They sold real fast at first, but now they have slowed down a bit.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The Pixars CARS cars (and therefore the CARS playsets) are closer to 1/55 scale. You can use them but you'll really notice the difference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a quick note. most anything you found at K`Bee's you'll find at a Toys r us, you could try there. Kbee's went out of bussiness in these parts.Hope it helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,
Thanks so much for the replies.

I have another question,
how accurately scaled are the Kyosho 1/64 cars? I have not seen any of them.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Welcome to HT SPLsaab. :wave:
Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. Either they were already answered or I have not seen what you are asking about.

I would like to someday build a train model. So far I only have one boxcar and have no idea what scale it is.

Enjoy your stay here and post some pics of your trains when you get a chance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi CenterShock,
That Lionel JL car is O scale, or 1/48 scale

I know i have some pics of my trains and cars around somewhere, I will have to dig them up!

later,
SPLsaab

1 - 9 of 9 Posts