Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps!

OK so here I am a newbie but an oldie....a lot has changed in the past years concerning HO slotcar racing. Now I am playing "catch up".

Johnny Lightning cars....hey this can't be all bad - I'd love to have a sit down with the founders of Playing Mantis because they are doing things I would if I were to have a toy business. Never tried the new one but c'mon re-create the Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle??? That was probably one on the best toys - EVER!!!

blah..blah...OK I'll get to my point.

It seems easy enough ...The JL T-Jets recreate the Aurora T-Jets and the X-Tractions (gotta love that name!) re-create the AFX Magna-Tractions. As I have never seen, held, inspected, or played with either of these JL line of cars....much is left unknown.

From what I can tell they try to replicate the originals but then I find something disturbing. Apparently some parts/motors are not interchangeable? Whats up with that?

Does anyone have a link to the JL chassis? I'd like to see whats going on "in there" and how they differ from the originals.

Thunderjets were barely before my time, but have an interest in them and the JL reproductions.

The X-Tractions seems pretty cool...right up my alley.

I found a dealer....www.toy-mart.com that sells alot of these JL's for $7.95 each. Is that a good deal? Has anyone dealt with these guys before? Sounds like a good deal to me but I want youse guys opinions on the matter.

Fun fun......

:jest: J7

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Jester7 said:
I found a dealer....www.toy-mart.com that sells alot of these JL's for $7.95 each. Is that a good deal? Has anyone dealt with these guys before? Sounds like a good deal to me but I want youse guys opinions on the matter.

Fun fun......

Hey Jester, check out Ebay.....do a search for "JL" then find all of the items in the slot car section. There's a guy selling cases of the older series JL Tjets for an average of $50-$60 a case of 12 cars........that's the best rate going right now :thumbsup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Jester7 said:
Never tried the new one but c'mon re-create the Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle??? That was probably one on the best toys - EVER!!!
YES!! And don't forget the Snake River Rocket electric toothbrush.

Anyhoo, for a little info on JL Tjets vs originals, check this thread: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=93599

Magnatraction vs Xtraction I can't help you with. I understood that they were exactly the same but I could be wrong. I just bought an old Magnatraction on ebay. They LOOK the same when you hold em side by side, but I cant really say for sure.

Love the Xtractions except for them dam little brush springs. Take forever to find it once you drop one. Grumblegrumble

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Afx/XT Compatability

Most Aurora Afx parts will fit the JLXT cars. The only one that apparently doesn't fit is the gearplate, and the JL magnets are a hair bigger.

The JLTO chassis are the same as the Model Motoring T+ chassis, which are a little longer than Aurora chassies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks youse guys!!

Shadow : LMAO....I don't recall the the Snake River rocket toothbrush - but I'm sure it existed!! Oh man what a disaster. And I'm certain new swear words were created due to the tiny MT brush springs.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Jester7 said:
Shadow : LMAO....I don't recall the the Snake River rocket toothbrush - but I'm sure it existed!! :jest: J7
Hell yeah. I had one...as well as the bike, and the stunt car, and the motorhome/ramp thingy. Same old story...if I still had that stuff...sigh. Wasn't a spoiled kid but my folks knew how much of an Evel Knievel nut I was. Never forgot sitting with my old man and watching that rocket floating down into the canyon. Maybe the world's most spectacular failure.

check here http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Ramp/2716/eveltbrush.jpg

Jester7 said:
And I'm certain new swear words were created due to the tiny MT brush springs. :jest: J7
I came up with a couple. Lost one this past weekend. Public Service Announcement: Make sure you got em before you flip the chassis over to look at the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts