Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
The first episode has aired and the second should have aired as well. This is what I found on air dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(British_TV_series)

"The series will be released over three episodes.[7] Mammoth Screen announced that the series is expected to be released in late 2019 in the UK.[5] The War of the Worlds first premiered on T+E in Canada on 6 October 2019,[8] and premiered on TVNZ 1 in New Zealand on 13 October 2019.[9]"

https://globalnews.ca/news/5990899/robert-carlyle-war-of-the-worlds-interview/

"Catch the North American premiere of ‘The War of the Worlds’ on Sunday, October 6 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on T+E, rolling out every Sunday at 10 p.m. ET/PT."

I can't seem to find any dates for the UK.

·
Starship Class
11,623 Posts
If anyone is interested in reading the 1898 (unofficial) sequel to the original story, it's available here: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19141

I've read it and it's surprisingly good. Earth, with Edison's help, gets revenge on the Martians in a big way.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I hated the second season of that TV series- it was like they just spliced another show into the timeslot and kept the name.

The new BBC version has been getting some poor reviews elsewhere online- apparently they short changed any of the battle footage in favor of some story of infidelity and personal drama. like the Spielberg film, most of the conflict is off camera.

Disappointing if true but there's quite a few saying it was good too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I saw the second episode a few days ago. The timeline perspective has changed and it's mostly after the invasion with some flash backwards to the invasion. You see the aliens and they look like a 3-legged spider with 2 legs in the front and 1 leg in the back. I don't get why they went this route with a non-humanoid shape. The aliens have no hands or other way to pick things up, etc and you wonder how this type of lifeform evolves to use tools and construct machines and electronics. At least with the 1953 movie, the aliens had 2 arms with 3 fingers (or 2 fingers and a thumb) with a sucker fingertip. That makes more since to me. The tv show changed the aliens a bit and added a third arm that was retracted into a chest cavity and popped out when needed. I got the feeling that they did this just for the gore factor. Third episode should be next week.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I just watched the 1st episode.

It's ok, not great- not bad.

The story seems flat and the 2 main characters are not very likable. Though they do seem plausible, sort of.

The costumes, sets, and art direction look good for the era. I'm not a fan of the tripods, too big and too modern, they remind me of something JJ Abrahms might put in a film.

So far the story basics are there but none of the fine details.

It's held me enough to watch the next episode.

Even though its not true to the book, Pal's 1950's version is excellent!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'll avoid spoilers for those that haven't seen it but I've seen all 3 parts and it's a bit of a mixed bag. In one way I like the tripods as they do look like advanced alien technology but I would've preferred them to look more like Hg Wells description. Some parts good others like the Thunderchild scene a disappointment.

Unfortunately as most people are saying it's in part 3 where it's most of a disappointment. Not because some of it isn't ok but it's what's not in there (and some of what is there) that's the problem.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,116 Posts
probably the "Alien's ships were already here, but we never dug them up" b.s.
also the character of Tom's son was a complete douchebag (actor was good, but script was awful).
Yeah, the never-detected buried fighting machines was stupid. A lot of the film was okay, but there was enough dumbness to take the meter into the negative for me.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I finally watched the 2nd episode. I'm not sure I'll make it through the last episode.
An uninspiring script with uninteresting characters.

·
Elder Statesman
1,856 Posts
I too thought it would have set in period, I really don't want to see anymore of these modern adaptions, the George Pal version was enough, as the Orson Welles radio show.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts