Hobbyist Forums banner

New Today - But Why?

2K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  duncan 
#1 ·
Picked these up today -

- but once I got them home and released I wondered why. None of them really do anything for me. Maybe the Firebird but otherwise - meh! Guess that happens sometimes.

See less See more
#7 ·
It's that charge you get when you see something new, also known as Mainlineitis. It occurs most often when the subject is bored. Newer collectors get it bad, though in time it becomes easier to recognize the symptoms of Mainlineitis and put the stuff back on the peg... An inexpensive remedy is to go home and play with your toys, a cold shower may also help.

#17 ·
I have bought em all mainlines, chases, Maisto Franklin Mint, Danbury, CMC Precision miniatures etc.. If I see something I really like in any scale and can afford it I will try to buy it. I lean more toward 1 64th scale which keeps me on budget and I'm able to get more of what a like.

#18 ·
I have zamac in my veins!

Recently, I almost pulled the trigger on that Combat Medic - came real close! But then I remembered the mantra of my diecast addicts anonymous support group: "You don't need another version of that casting!" I stayed strong and put it back on the peg - and then wiped the cold sweat from my brow. I am proud that I did not submit to THE FORCE!

Oooooooh!!! Lookit that purdy Challenger!!!!!! :D :D :D

#20 ·
I spotted the Combat Medic on the pegs and took a good long look at it, but left it behind. I already have enough examples and I'd rather put the cash towards one of the older blackwall releases I don't have, such as a Letter Getter or the Wonder/Hostess delivery truck that was a part of my childhood collection.

#25 ·
Gone are the days when I would leave with 15 or more mainlines in my hand every time a new wave of cars came out. :lol: I think especially for someone new to collecting, rampant purchases are kind of an exercise in learning what you like and what you don't. Because sometimes you have to have it on your shelf at home to really decide, and mainlines are a cheap testing ground.

Like when people are growing up, they experiment with different things. It doesn't mean you will continue with all of those things, but they're necessary to figure out what kind of person you are. Figuring out what kind of collector you are works the same way.

#27 ·
Absolutely! And I've had a year of learning my lesson. Some cars are pretty and some are awesome. Real riders are usually a factor but I think I'm over the next version of a new version of a Camaro or Mustang. More mopar? Even more mopar? And then another mopar with large wheels at the back? Geez...:wave:

#26 ·
Exactly the reason I wanted to quit mainlines. But it's hard. Starting off with current Matchbox about a year and a half ago, I soon couldn't find any new ones I wanted so I looked into HW. 200 cars later I need to draw the line.

Recently I've been getting quite a few other brands or vintage cars and I find that helps a lot too. Especially when you run out of space...mainlineitis should be an official term on these boards.

#28 ·
I can't say how many times this has happen to me.. I know too many...
The thrill or the rush of flying to the toy isle to see what's new... Like the rush a gambler or a dope head gets... I'm a diecast sick-o and I know it... I will spend my money on cars and go hungry... How sick-o is that ?

I will keep buying HWs, even though I have 5 of them home hanging on a peg !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.