Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always checked out the hot wheels isles everytime i goto WM,k-mart,target,etc. I have pulled a few T-Hunts . But as ive read on here and heard from employees. It just seems that it isnt worth wasting the gas to go 'hunting" for HW's. They either have them pulled and someone paying them or the employees pull them to re-sell. If you find one its only by the luck of the irish it seems like. And keep in mind i go pretty frequently with the ole lady and 10 TH's in 4 years isnt the best of odds considering the amount of times ive been lol. Anyways this is kind of a 2 question post. My sister is a store manager of _______. She does the inventory and orders. Well i could indeed get her to pull the TH's and better cars,but that takes the fun out of the hobby for everyone else. So i have mentioned to her that i want to order whole cases of HW's. Ok as ive seen on Ebay cases come in 72ct correct? Well she is telling me that the cases she recieves are 144ct which would equal 2 boxes. Is that for better or for worse? And what is the difference in those? My second question is really the most important. Are there any magazines or books that can be bought at Barnes And Nobles or something to that matter that are strictly HW's. Upcomming cars. Cars of Value...Variations etc? Kind of like a updated monthly price guide i guess you could say. Thanks for any help i can recieve. Thank you ,Jerry

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Hi Jerry,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!!!! Some answers to your questions. The Majority of cases shipped to stores are the 72 ct. cases. One notable exception is the special K-Mart collectors day cases which are 36 ct. cases. It sounds to me like your sister is getting what's called shippers. Usually these cases are older cars from earlier in the year. Occasionally they are the newer castings. The odds of getting Treasure Hunts out of them is the same as getting one on the pegs. Plus the chances of getting HTF or VHTF variations out of one is a 50/50 mix. You can get lucky though. If you're behind on castings then it's better, if you are current on castings it could be bad.

Price guides and magazines - for monthly listings go with Lee's Action Figure and Toy Review. This will have the most current listings on HW's. A great variation book is done by Mike Zarnock. The second edition is currently available and all major book stores or you can order one from Mike himself and he'll autograph it for you. As of the time I type this the 3rd Edition of his book is due to be released very soon. Yo may want to wait for it.

As for what's new, always check eBay, that's where most of the new stuff usually ends up. You could also check hotwheelscollectors.com. Again welcome aboard, and if you have any other ?'s feel free to ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do you feel its best to get the 72ct box isntead of the 144 ct? I guess what it all boils down to. Is what is the better case to purchase for up to date collectibles from HW's? I thank you for your time and your answers. I am assuming since she gets "shippers" she can not get the 72ct box. No bid deal. And yes i am enjoying the forum much just signed up today but havent gotten off of it yet lol. Thank you for your time and patience

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Welcome aboard :) This is the place to ask if you have any questions. Acererak & many,many others really know their stuff about HW.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
jdk426 said:
So do you feel its best to get the 72ct box isntead of the 144 ct? I guess what it all boils down to. Is what is the better case to purchase for up to date collectibles from HW's? I thank you for your time and your answers. I am assuming since she gets "shippers" she can not get the 72ct box. No bid deal. And yes i am enjoying the forum much just signed up today but havent gotten off of it yet lol. Thank you for your time and patience
Well if you ask her to order you a 144 ct case, it's like ordering 2 72 ct cases. You have a chance of getting zero, one, or two THs. The other side of the coin is, you will have 140+ cars left over and you may not want many of them, and many will be duplicates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zom my sister hasnt pulled any TH's for me. As i stated in the post i could get her to im sure but that is no fun and takes the fun away from collecters like myself and others. I see how frusterating it gets going to various stores for them not to have anything and knowing that the stockers have pulled them for a little side change. 2 wrongs dont make a right. Just like i went to a somewhat local WM the other day and was talking to the guy in toys and we got on the subject of hot wheels (i was trying to figure out stocking times lol) and his exact words when i mentioned TH's were " You will never find one of those here" so that tells you he is pulling them for himself. And i will get some pics up soon i just need to get a digital camera. I wonder if they sell that Lee's magazine at a wal-mart because barnes and nobles is so much farther. Thanks,Jerry

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just yanking your chain bro. :thumbsup:

But just because he told you you wont find any there doesn't mean he is guilty of taking them. Once a few employess get wind of Treasure Hunts, White Lightnings etc, it don't take long for them to participate in either taking them themselves or saving them for thier favorite shopper. I'd be willing to bet that there are people on this forum that have stuff saved for them or, get info on when it will be put out etc. Not a big dead as it's the nature of the beast. (I've know some toy dept. managers that would not stock in the mornings just to keep people that they don't like from buying them.)

Don't waste your gas looking for T-hunts. Wait for them to be out for awhile then buy them from a reputible board member or off ebay. Shop for cars once or twice a week instead of running every day. It will save you fuel and your sanity. You'll get most everything thats out there eventually. Minus a variation here or there but they are really not that big a deal unless you are concerned with the value of your collection.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ordered a 144 case and it contained 2 THs... But on the other hand, it also contained a lot of duplicate cars 5-7 of the mainlines.

It took a lot of time and a lot of receipts to "trade" all of those extra cars back to Wal-Mart and K-Mart.

In the end, I didn't think that the 144 box was worth the trouble.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
blktoptrvl said:
IIt took a lot of time and a lot of receipts to "trade" all of those extra cars back to Wal-Mart and K-Mart.
yea, and this is why we go to the stores and all we find are rejects hanging on the pegs...and the store not ordering or putting out anymore cuz there are so many there!...It has been mentioned many times, for those that have these pegwarmers...a great cause is the charitys at Xmas time or even Haloween, just donate them. and if you "cant afford to to that"..why would u be buying cars by the case?:confused:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
-----WELCOME-----

I have seen some magazines at Barnes and Noble for dicast cars, figurines, and models.

:wave: ---Midnightrun--- :wave:

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Welcome jdk426! :thumbsup:

I don't think that I can add any information to what has been posted.

Happy Collecting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts