Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am just getting started with the ho slots, I used to have a track as a kid about thirty years ago, but haven't run them since.. Well my question is that I got a lifelike Nascar 500 track and the two included cars, I was also able to purchase three fast and the furious jl cars for $3.99 at my local Hobby Lobby, so here it is. The lifelike cars are extremely fast compared to the JL's, however on one of the tracks the LL cars are so fast theyare not even contralable. The JL's run smoothly on either track, but one is painfully slow. Any suggestions on tuning these up? Or maybe how to upgrade my track?

Thanks,
Mario

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Oil 'em

You gotta lightly oil the JL cars and break them in first, sometimes. Get yourself a needle tip oiler from a hobby shop. Axles and wheels can also make a difference. Sometimes they are slightly bent, which robs speed. Check out the Hip Tips right here on this BB.

Also, the controllers in the LL set are lower ohms, which make them work more like an on/off switch. For the money, Hotwheels Electric Racing which are the same as Tyco (Mattel bought Tyco), have the higher 70 ohm controllers. Also, LL controllers are usually hard wired to the terminal track, but HW/Tyco have the plugs.

Tomy has more variety curve pieces available and has plugs that can reverse polarity/direction, but Tyco/Mattel still has higher ohm controllers, which are better for the JL cars. There are also some more, different aftermarket radius curves in the works for Tyco.

Some of these other guys can tell you more about setting up a nicer track with Parma controllers and better power supply, but for out of the box stuff, I prefer Tyco/Mattel.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JL vs LL ,etc

Welcome back to the hobby! JL cars will never be as fast as a LL , Mattell/Tyco or Tomy cars. They are two different classes. Like Nascar vs F1. Pro Stock vs Top Fuel. Apple and oranges.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
One more thing, you'll want to flip the guide pins on your F&F cars because the guide flag is too long to properly fit in LL track (just like Tyco/Mattel). Use the shorter pin instead, you'll get some speed and better performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbsup: thanks for the great advice folks, the reason I got the LL track is because I had some Amazon GC's and that is all they carry, so I got it for free.
Thanks again,
Mario

1 - 7 of 7 Posts