Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated above. I want to be able to do something with my son and daughter. I was looking at a 1/43 basic set up, questions are:
1) can i run ho on this track size?

2) is it better to go 1/32 if i can run smaller cars on the track?

3) looking for a few sites to purchase these off, found a fe wbut mostly overseas and would like to get them from the US due to shipping.

4) power, is there anything special needed besides what would come with a basic setup?

Thanks in advance Earle

·
Registered
964 Posts
Some of the other more experienced guys will have plenty advice for you but, I just wanted to compliment you on your die-cast customs. They look great! I'm sure you'll soon have some nice custom slots. ! BTW, most of the guys here are H.O.holics.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I run strictly HO, so I don't have a good answer for you on your first 3 questions, but as far as a power supply goes, getting yourself a decent variable power supply is a great thing if you want to do this with your kids. I have a 0-20V 5 Amp power supply and for the 18 volt cars I have, I'll turn down the voltage to 10-12 so my 6 year old can get around the track easier. I found mine on ebay for under $100 shipped and it's easily one of the top two things you would purchase first when upgrading your track, the other being better controllers...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've seen a few 1/43 cars and they were a disappointment.
Go with something standard like H.O. Tomy / AFX, that's the good stuff.

AFX Racing http://afxracing.com/

It's a lot of racing fun to start out with for a little money.

Get a Tomy / AFX Super International race set,
some 3/4 plywood and some 2x4 saw horses and you're ready to race.

·
Registered
685 Posts
SFC Allen,

I run all scales . I'll tell you what I know but me being an authority , that's a matter of opinion.

I started running 1/43rd scale cars as my grandson was crashing all of my racing T-Jets. Sooo , I was in a store and seen these cheep ARIN 1/43rd sets and bought them for him. For the money he couldn't hurt much.

When he had some of the cars needing fixing is where I got hooked on the scale. We tweaked and tuned and turned these cheepies into missles. They're definately "kid proof".

Carrera and SCX then came out sets and I up graded the track from Artin to Carrera. Besides the track the SCX and the Carerra cars are nicely detailed and run well after sanding the tires. However, Carrera . Artin and SCX all run different voltages. The motors in the Carrera and SCX are interchangable so you can fix some of this by the moror switch. Run the Artins seperate if you have any of them. They will all run on the same track.

The issue of running HO cars on 1/43rd and even 1/32nd scale track is possible. The home brewed way is to cut a piece of plastic tubing and silicone it to the HO guide pin and solder a small patch of braid to te HO pickup shoes. This will let the HO cars run int the center of the bigger scale track and the patch of braid will let it make good contact covering any spacing difference. Be sure the plastic tube doesn't scrape the bottom of the slot.

The other way to run HO on bigger tracks is to run "Slide Guide" pickup flags on your hO cars. There available for "Ed Bianchi" online and work well.

Add this to a variable voltage power pack and you and your kids will have a lot of good racing in your future.

Hope this helps , Gonzo

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the other more experienced guys will have plenty advice for you but, I just wanted to compliment you on your die-cast customs. They look great! I'm sure you'll soon have some nice custom slots. ! BTW, most of the guys here are H.O.holics.
Thanks, only if I find cheap HO stuff then i'll paint them up. VR Earle

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Few more questions:

1) are all HO tracks interchangable?

2) if i bought a 2 lane track, what is needed to run a 4 lane track? Is it just adding the pieces and power or is there more to it.

3) Better controlers was mentioned, what makes a better controler?

4) best place to get all the FAQ's about what body styles can do what?

I see alot of different types of tuning for i think i keep getting confused as to what is what.

Guess i'm going with the HO scale for now :) Thanks for the advice and sorry to be a pain in the [email protected]$. VR Earle

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
1) are all HO tracks interchangable?

No, although there are some adapter pieces out there, it's best to just pick a particular vendor for track and stick with it. Tomy pretty much has the most variety and is a great place to start as they have tons of different track sets.

2) if i bought a 2 lane track, what is needed to run a 4 lane track? Is it just adding the pieces and power or is there more to it.

Exactly, just more track and power, the Tomy Super International set is a great way to get started with a 4 lane

3) Better controlers was mentioned, what makes a better controler?

Typically the controllers that come with the sets aren't all that great in my opinion. They may be good for a Tomy Super G+, but not so great for a t-jet or a magna-traction. Parma makes good base controllers in different ohms to run particular cars better, i.e. 35-45 ohm controller would be good for Tomy SRT, SG+, or Life Like cars, 60 ohm might be good for magna-tractions, and a 90 ohm would be good for the T-Jets. Then at some point you may want to go crazy and spend the big bucks on an all-in-one controller that you can dial in the sensitivity for all your cars, it beats having to use 3 different controllers for 3 different car types, that can get really spendy really quick though.

4) best place to get all the FAQ's about what body styles can do what?

Not sure about that one, others will chime in I am sure...

I see alot of different types of tuning for i think i keep getting confused as to what is what.

Guess i'm going with the HO scale for now Thanks for the advice and sorry to be a pain in the [email protected]$. VR Earle

Congratulation on choosing a size, you'll find LOTS of help here for HO, no need to apologize, we've all been there. :) Here is another really good site to read through for beginners as well. http://www.hoslotcarracing.com/

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yep, Tomy bought AFX....
Tomy and AFX have been the same thing for the past 15-20 years. But going back to the 1970s and early 1980s, AFX was a brand from Aurora with a different track configuration and slotcar chassis. Almost all the old Aurora AFX bodies will fit on newer Tomy AFX chassis.

The current Johnny Lightning and Auto World X-Tractions look like the old Aurora chassis and have mostly interchangable bodies.

Just make sure you know there is a difference.

Joe

·
Registered
641 Posts
What is nice about Tomy / AFX track is,
there are so many different radius curves and track pieces to make a good 4 lane setup.
Even a 10 lane or a 12 lane oval with the hairpin.

And what I really like is they have a deep slot in them,
just like some of the better continuous rail routed tracks so you can use extended guide pins.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sorry so late replyig.

T-JETS aree antique HO race cars produced by the Aurora Co. from the 60's and early 70's. They have pancake type motors, skinny rubber tires and NO traction magnets. Some upgrades such as silicone tires make them enjoyable to run.

These are quality little toys that can become addictive.

Gonzo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts