Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I am new to oval and have a few questions. Thanks for answering them if you do and I am sure there will be more questions to follow.

is 12 gauge wire recommended regardless of type of motor ran (eg stock or mod)?

Whats a good servo that is fairly inexpensive?

In what cases would rear tire stagger be a good choice?

ps. this is all in regards to a KSG gen1

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You will probably get a lot of different opinions to those questions but here are mine:

As for the wire gauge; I think that 12 gauge is way too big for most applications, even open mod. 14 gauge is plenty big and the new four cell brushless speed control comes with 16. So does the Keyence if I remember right.

A good servo that is inexpensive: That is almost a contradiction in terms LOL. Again my opinion, this is where a lot of people skimp when they shouldn’t. This is the thing that steers your car and a cheap one will not help you at all with handling. Wait until you can get one that is ball bearing, and has good speed and torque like a Futaba 9102. I am sure that some on here will swear by the $20 servo that they have and tell you that you don’t need anything else but the better the steering servo, the better control you will have over the car. Personally, I like the digitals but if you have never used one, they may feel “touchy” because of their higher speed and they are not necessary but do invest in a good one no matter what you get.

Rear stagger makes the car rotate better through the corners but is mainly used on banked tracks. For flat tracks, I would start with both rear tires the same size and with some experimenting, you may even find that “de-stagger” (right side smaller) will work for you and make the car drive off the corner better.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I saw some people with a KO servo. Most likely what model is this?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
smojoe - 14 guage is plenty and its lighter and more flexible. Until recently I ran Futaba S3002 servos in both my cars its a metal gear ball bearing servo and its not heavy, I wanted to use an HRS reciever and had to switch to a digital servo. If your looking I have two S3002's that I was going to ebay, if you need one just PM me.

Doug p
Team CW

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
KO puts out great products but Futaba puts out same products for less $. I run KO radios with Futaba servos. I agree with Comp, servo is as important as set up. Cheap servo's have a mind of ther own. Welcome to oval !! just remember you can't buy good results, you can only set-up for good results . Do your homework on the bench and work on a good set up for YOUR driving style. Learn what every peice of that car does. The results come to ya!. Have Fun !!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
When it comes to servo's and radio's Futaba is the only way to go,9550 or 9650 and you won't have any issue's.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Charlie (he knows who he is), why don't you tell me what servo I should run? Or better yet, give me a servo to run :D

14 gauge wire and equal tires. What about front springs? carpet track, some bumps but fairly smooth, med traction. The front springs on it right now are green. dunno how much that helps, but last time I checked a color is better then nothing :lol:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
smojoe said:
Hey Charlie (he knows who he is), why don't you tell me what servo I should run? Or better yet, give me a servo to run :D

14 gauge wire and equal tires. What about front springs? carpet track, some bumps but fairly smooth, med traction. The front springs on it right now are green. dunno how much that helps, but last time I checked a color is better then nothing :lol:

What track are you racing at? What chassis?

Doug P

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
smojoe,
As far as front springs go. Check out the windtunnel brand. I would get a set of reds, greens and whites to start with. This seems the be the most popular colors where I race at. Small, flat carpet oval's.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mr.fastman said:
What track are you racing at? What chassis?

Doug P
Stockton RC raceway; KSG gen1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts