Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am looking to get into oval racing. I have been in rc for 8.5 year's now all mainy off-road with a little bit of on-road. I also have alot of knowledge on oval racing since I work on a super late model at Toledo and Flat Rock speedway so I know about oval setup. I do have some question's though.
1... What kind of car is going to be the best, I would liek to get a custom work's car.
2... I see that they run 4 cell's does that mean that you have to conserve you power like in 1/12, do they also still run 5 min race's.
3... What type of new equipment am I going to need to get started.
Thank's for your help.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
cw is a nice car but takes alot to set up leading edge or silva x factor are a lot easier. with the new batts you can go flat out for 5 mins. a good charger like you probably have and good tools like you use in off road work great. you'll find that most tracks have alot of good people to help you out value their wisdom. most of all have fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The set-up isnt the hard part like I said I setup super late model's that go 120 M.P.H. But am I goign to need any special tool's for setup.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
T.J. said:
Hello I am looking to get into oval racing. I have been in rc for 8.5 year's now all mainy off-road with a little bit of on-road. I also have alot of knowledge on oval racing since I work on a super late model at Toledo and Flat Rock speedway so I know about oval setup. I do have some question's though.
1... What kind of car is going to be the best, I would liek to get a custom work's car. Any work in the right hands. KSG, CW, RIP, HD, Associated, Maverick, Leading Edge. Find what people run in your area and look for local help.
2... I see that they run 4 cell's does that mean that you have to conserve you power like in 1/12, do they also still run 5 min race's. 4 mintues
Not really. In stock and 19T its all out for 4 minutes. For Mod racing, yes you gotta lift to conserve runtime
3... What type of new equipment am I going to need to get started.
Thank's for your help.
All depends what you have for offroad. A good PCM radio is a nice asset. Most oval heads have high end chargers like GFX's, Pitbulls, Ice, etc
Tweak Board with scales are nice but not a necessity. Something to equalize your packs Integy Zero 30, Trinity tray, Much more tray, etc
see above

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thank's. I do have another question what is the diffrence betewwen the CW slider and solid kit's.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
T.J. A solid chassis is probably more of what you are use to seeing. The chassis plate is in one piece and the batteries sit in slots. They cannot be moved except for moving them in closer into the center of the chassis.

With sliders, the batteries sit in slots that are cut into a movable tray. This allows you to move the batteries not only in towards the center of the chassis but also back towards the rear or closer to the front by moving the whole tray. All of this is so you can change the weight bias.
Another consideration is that with a slider, there is more chassis flex because of the way it is made. This can be a good thing in some cases.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
T.J. - Asking which car is best will get you a dozen different answers. Here's mine, I own 2 CW cars and wouldn't run anything else. Its a great car, there's lots of setup info available, parts are readily available and product support is great. In the end you'll have to pick the car that you believe is best for you. I've been running the CW car since it was released if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.
Also this is Customworks # if you want to give them a call 704 489 8147 ask for Arnie

Doug P
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
T.J. I have a little different approach to your question. If you are going to be racing at one track and not doing any traveling then I agree that you can make either work well. However, if you plan on racing a a few different tracks then the slider may give you more setup options.

I'm not familier with the CW cars but on most other sliders that I have seen, you can move the batteries a little more to the rear with a slider.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
McLin said:
Another consideration is that with a slider, there is more chassis flex because of the way it is made. This can be a good thing in some cases.
Not true in all cases.
The CW slider is a more rigid car being the chassis is cut from .105" thick graphite. The solid on the other hand is about .095 and has more flex to it.

I found the CW solid car was easier to setup, but once i hit the right setup with the slider it was quicker

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
McLin said:
T.J. A solid chassis is probably more of what you are use to seeing. The chassis plate is in one piece and the batteries sit in slots. They cannot be moved except for moving them in closer into the center of the chassis.

With sliders, the batteries sit in slots that are cut into a movable tray. This allows you to move the batteries not only in towards the center of the chassis but also back towards the rear or closer to the front by moving the whole tray. All of this is so you can change the weight bias.
Point of clarification.. On CW cars the slider is LESS FLEXIBLE than the solid.. The solid is more forgiving.. especially on flat tracks.

EDIT SLAPS FOREHEAD.. I see I need to real ALL THE POSTS before responding..LOL..

·
Registered
683 Posts
T.J. said:
Which is going to be the best all around car.
Go to the track and ask around what everybody is running and get that car, that way you will have setup help when you get stumped on something. All of the cars today will be fast in the right hands. Just don't expect to go out and win every weekend learn the car you choose and work on your driving, try to run the same line every lap and you will get faster every week.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!!! thank's for all of the help guy's. I am going ot be mainly racing at CEFX raceway in Michigan since that is the only track that is willing to do oval but they dont do it weekly unfortunetley. Is there a good oval track in michigan.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts