Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got into modeling and there's some basic things that i am not sure about. I bought my first kit, which is a 1955 Chevy Nomad and i just wanted to know what kinds of paint are the best for styrene models. I know there are hobby paints, like Testor but they are pretty hard to find here, in large quantities (i live in Canada by the way). So i was wondering if you guys know of any alternatives to these expensive hobby paints, that i would be able to find at a local hardware store, or Wal-Mart? And should i use enamels or acryllics?
Thanks, anything information would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Since you're talking about a plastic model of an automobile, you'll primarily want to use enamel paint. You can use those rattle cans from Walmart's paint department or, even better, real automotive paint ( if you don't like the selection at Walmart, try an auto shop such as CHECKER or AUTO ZONE ).

You might want to try acrylics on the interior if you are trying to duplicate the look of leather or fabric.

If there is an Auto paint store in your area you may be able to find just the right color and shade you want ( but, be prepared to pay a little more for it! ).

I'm sure others will chime in with more advice and opinions but, to get you started, concentrate on ENAMEL.

- GJS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot, i will definately check out Wal-Mart's paint department. But would Wal-Mart also have the right liquit paint (not in spray cans), that i can mix together for different shades and use in my airbrush?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Hi.

Welcome to the boards and welcome to model building.

First off, being a fellow Canadian, I'll say that the best spray paints that won't kill your model are Tremclad spray Enamels.

Both my father and I have won many model car contests with vehicles painted in Tremclad.

Although the colour sellection isn't the broadest, they still have the important colours like Red, Navy Blue, Sky Blue, Black, White, ect. There's even Aluminum and Clear, although I find that the Aluminum doesn't have a good drying time.

They cover really well and can result in vibrant colours.

I've used them since the earily 1990's and they are as good now as they were when I first started.

The beauty of Tremclad is that they are readily avalible at Wal-mart, Home Hardware, Home Depot, Rona, even Zellers!

It's strange that you would say that Testor's paints are hard to find in Canada.

I own Monster Hobbies in High River, Alberta and I carry Testor's along with the 35 other hobby shops in Alberta.

I could see that if you bought your model in a Wal-mart that you might have difficulties finding Testors as most Wal-Marts model sellection seem to be down to a small shelf in their toy isle, but try looking in your phonebook for a hobby shop in your area.

If you can't find one, I'd be more than happy to help you out. Check my store web site :

http://www.freewebs.com/monsterhobbies/

Good luck and if you can post your finished kit, we'd all be happy to see it!

Sincerly,

Trevor Ursulescu
Monster Hobbies

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
In addition to your last question, you can always spray the spray can paint into your airbrush bottles. Let them sit for an hour or two so they can release the aerosol propellants and then they should be ready to spray through your gun without having to thin them out.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when painting...no matter HOW you are painting the rule is this.....you can paint over acrylics with enamels but you can't paint over enamels with acrylics (just in case you find aome acrylics somewhere and decide to give them a shot). Reason being....the acrylic paint will not stick to the enamel. I am a fan of enamel and use it on all of my kits. Just keep in mind you have flats, semi-gloss and gloss paints. That is my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kiryl !
Don't forget about priming before you paint. Use a good primer and let dry well before painting. Others more informed will help you on that matter because, as everone knows......I DON'T DO CARS ! :tongue: ( I'm a'figure' guy myself )
Dabbler

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
for the car body i'd definately go with enamel paint . for the other parts ( esp parts you want to have a flat finish ) you can use acrylics as they're easy to mix and clean up .
prime with a good primer ( i like Krylon grey ) and allow to dry completely ( we're talkin' overnight here ) before applying your colors .
if this kit is one you're wanting to do a bang up job on , you might want to get a really cheap snap kit or some such to play around with and test your paints on .
main thing is , have fun .
welcome to the BBs . :wave:
hb

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I've been using Dupli-Color light gray primer lately on resin, styrene and vinyl models and I like it pretty well. It covers well in a light coat. If you have it up there. Wal-Mart I think has it.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when painting...no matter HOW you are painting the rule is this.....you can paint over acrylics with enamels but you can't paint over enamels with acrylics (just in case you find aome acrylics somewhere and decide to give them a shot). Reason being....the acrylic paint will not stick to the enamel. I am a fan of enamel and use it on all of my kits. Just keep in mind you have flats, semi-gloss and gloss paints. That is my 2 cents!
I've never had this happen and I've gone back and fourth between the two as well.

I will tell you that you can't paint LAQUER over any other paint but LAQUER because the chemicals in LAQUER will attack the other paints as the LAQUER is a "HOT" paint, chemically speaking.

Once you've sprayed a LAQUER over an ENAMIL, it's almost impossible to strip the paint off!

Speaking of stripping paint, if you use Acrylics or Enamels and run into problems, or simply want a colour change, I find that Easy-Off Oven Cleaner works best. Just make sure you use rubber gloves, a charcoal face mask, and a soft tooth brush and scrubby sponge to remove the paint. Protect yourself well and work in a ventalated area because Easy Off is caustic and can eat your skin as well. :wave:

Have Fun!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I have used Canadian Tire Automotive Laquer spray paint on my model cars, BUT you have to be careful as the same ingredients that are in Laquer are also in your Liquid Styrene Glues and can melt the model if sprayed on too heavy.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Here's a 1957 Chevy Bel Air kit from AMT that I converted into a Chevy 210 Del Ray.

This was sprayed with 2 different Canadian Tire Laquer Touch Up Paints WITHOUT the use of any protective primer. I'm one of the overly skilled / overly lucky ones that can paint Laquer onto models without melting them. :thumbsup:

BUT if you want a barrier primer for use with laquer paint, try using automotive primer for galvanized steel. That's what I used in the old days (1990's) and it worked really well. (I forget the manufacturer and brand name, but know it was primer for Galvanized Steel.)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Duck Fink said:
Actually you have that backwards.
You shouldn't put enamel over acrylic. At least not over any large areas.
The reason being that acrylics have some flex to them.
Enamel does not. Once cured they are a hard paint.
With the flexible acrylic underneath them they will crack and chip.
Also, enamel is hotter than acrylic and can attack them.
Just like laquer is hotter than either of them and shouldn't be use over them. (with an exception for dulcote. Which is a laquer. But to get it to work correctly, you need to use very light coats to keep it from attacking the paint)

These guidelines are for doing fairly large areas.
When it comes to small stuff you can usually get away with almost anything.
I have used enamel washes over acrylic paint.
Or small areas of enamel over acrylic paint. Especially on figures for doing eyes. As I prefer enamels for eyes. They just seem to add more deapth and give a better gloss than a gloss coat over an acrylic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I tend to be partial to Krylon paints though on ocassion I use model master or testors paints.
I haven't built a car model in over a year (my wife tossed all my car models out) but I always seal the cars with "Future" floor Polish.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
No problem.
It all can be really confusing unless you make a few mistakes along the way and learn the hard way.
I am one of the few that still does quite a bit with enamels (not as much as I used to). So I have some experience with trying to use both types on the same kits.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If I may, I'll throw my two bits into the fold. For many, many years, I used enamel paints. I thought they were the way to go- made by Testors & all that, you know. A couple years ago, I tried some acrylic paitns that my wife picked up from Michaels, a craft store. Brand names like Apple Barrel, Folk Art, Craft Smart, Americana- & they come in large 2 oz bottles! I have to say that they cover as well as any enamel & they cost a fraction of the small half ounce bottles of Testors. Usually from about .75 cents to $1.25 depending on the brand. And the paint goes even further when you cut it with windshield washer fluid for airbrushing!

Here's some of the kits I did with the acrylics:
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/Alexander/MainBeauty2.jpg
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/Breckenridge/finish/MainBeauty.jpg
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/Bubo/full.jpg
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/BugtotheFuture/FrontOblique.jpg
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/R2Van/NeilFinish.jpg
http://planetmyhill.com/Modelmaster/PICS/R2Van/chassis_weathered.jpg

IMO, they work just great! :)

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
NICE STUFF POS2! I will sit back and let the experts give the advice from here on out. Sorry for any confusion, guys.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Duck Fink said:
NICE STUFF POS2! I will sit back and let the experts give the advice from here on out. Sorry for any confusion, guys.
Thanks for the compliments! :roll:

And offer up any advice & knowledge you have! We can learn from anyone about anything here! Don't be afraid to offer up your knowledge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ive used the spray cans from walmart before...i used a deep green with a metalic fleck in it...i think it was green with gold fleck...anyway...sprayed it on a model of a ferrari...did like 5 coats...looked amazing...i still havent finished the model yet...but the exterior looks amazing...i can reccommend those spray cans from personal experience...i almost guarantee youll be happy with the outcome...either way...i would advise against using a brush...ive never done a car model and been happy with it when i used a brush to do the paint...invest in a airbrush...you wont regret it...(of corse i dont think that i have seen the testor spray cans in canada...but who knows)...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts