Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to make my own custom city services...I have a ton of police,fire and ems and would like to make my own custom cars ...if anyone could take their time to give me advice on what is the best way to customize from start to finish and the best products to use... I would really appreciate it, Thanks genkenz.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It's good to see someone else getting into customizing, that's when I really started having fun w/ my hobby.

You'll need some basic things to work with, a Dremel tool probably the most helpful. I got mine at Wal-Mart for about $40. Get a high speed cutting wheel or 2 for it while you're there.

I use cheap Wal-Mart Colorplace spraypaint for flat and gloss black, Rust-Oleum for colors. Get some paint stripper, sandpaper and maybe a wire wheel for your Dremel while you're at Wal-Mart. I have a can w/ a lid that Hot Wheels shirts came in for my stripper. It will eat you up so be careful.

Casting have what looks like 1 or 2 rivits in the bottom that hold the body to the chassis. I use a 1/8 drill bit that comes w/ the Dremel to drill it out. I use Locktite white acrylic glue to join things back together. It dries rubbery and will wash off.

That will get you started. There are a lot of good people here w/ more experience then me that can give you advise on other aspects of customizing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome to HobbyTalk! There's a alot of how-to-s in this bulletin board. Also check out Hot World Customs at http://www.hotworldcustoms.com/ There's a significant number of variations on how to accomplish a custom, depending on your skill level, budget, and available materials (besides available patience). Yet another board with a lot of input can be found at Joe's Diecast Shack (http://joesdiecastshack.yuku.com/forums/22) Between these three, you're sure to find an answer for any question, a solution for any hurdle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I look forward to showing them... I also will gets some pics up of my collection as soon as I can but I have a ton of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts