Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just ordered all the stuff i need for brushless. novak gtb. 4300 and the rotor for it. ok with that bein said could anyone with experience please let me know any and all downsides to it? just so i know what to possibly look forward to. i hope to hear only upsides to be honest. but im tryin to convince more at my local track to get into it and maybe if i can show them this thread it can either convince them or maybe tell me i did the wrong thing? im hoping i made the right move. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The only downside can think of is some people are having durability problems with the speedos. Otherwise I'd say you are good to go.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Down side you can no longer blame your motor for being SLOW.

A guy I race with just added 2 more laps than we have been running with the 13.5 last week and he has not taken apart or oiled the motor since he put it in the car 3 months ago.

I have had 0 problem with my stuff and I have both the GTB and Sphere.

The 4300 calss is a blast to drive also.

Jake

·
Registered
243 Posts
Joe, Some downsides include not having to carry a com lathe, Buying new brushes every few runs. Buying com drops or trying different ones every week. Thrashing on two or three motors trying to find that extra tenth when it was a tire choice instead. OK thats enough. I've had my Brushless stuff (lrp comp & 4300 w/no upgrades) for about 4 months now and have not had trouble with either, only time will tell though. I will be running the ORL season with the 4300 and or 13.5. Will Marshalls be up for a 4300 class for the Cabin Fever race ? I'll be there anyway and will run that class. :wave:

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The best thing you can do is put the motor in, load it up with gear, go blow their doors off and then go get a hot dog while they true coms and scratch their heads.

Once you go to it, you will never go back!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. this really gives me alot of confidence i made a great choice. i have alot of people at my local track interested. and i got interested from my buddy dale so I think it will take off at marshalls. yes gordie we will run that class at the cabin fever as long as we have enough guys. which deffinatly we should!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Everett & Myself ran 13.5 at Kranzel's yesterday, one word to say "WOW". All to do is work on the chassis. No Dyno, no motor work, motor stays the same, priceless...........never go back to brushed! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I think learning all the "small tricks" would be key - figuring out the timing, getting all the upgrades like the bearing and sintered rotor and installing it right. Not ever running BL that is what would concern me.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
erock1331 said:
I think learning all the "small tricks" would be key - figuring out the timing, getting all the upgrades like the bearing and sintered rotor and installing it right. Not ever running BL that is what would concern me.
Truthfully I don't think there are to many "small tricks" other than getting your chassis to work. Figuring out the timing is probably easier than with the brushed motor...leave it where the factory sets it. From what we have found it really does not do much to adjust the timing.(at least with the Novak system) I'm not saying it doesn't do anything, just not enough to really make a difference. Being able to adjust the timing at the ESC like you can with Tekins is a different story.

The upgrades with the sintered rotor and bigger bearing are nice, but it is not necesary to do. If you have the correct Rollout for each (sintered / standard rotor), you will be equally fast with either one.

I think there are many more "small tricks" to figure out with a brushed motor than there are with a brushless to be concerned about.

Having run brushed motors since '82 to about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I am not basing my opinion or comments on just running a brushless motor.

RC

·
Registered
219 Posts
brushless downsides

I would say the number 1 downside is forgetting how to take your motor in and out! I did have my first GTB go up in smoke right after I did the one-touch set up.I sent it to Novak and they sent me a replacement which I've run for over a year, racing twice a month in Modified Oval with everything from a 3.5 to 6.5 velocity.Currently using a 7.4 Lipo pack and 5.5 motor.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to me theres so many tricks with the brushed motors that everyone seems to know that its way more involved then what im hearin is to be done with brushless. latly im hearing theres diff magnets for the ultrabirds and all that stuff which im not willing to do. so along with not having to mess with the motors and still bein fast, and not wanting to cheat in 19t class to be fast, i feel brushless is the way to go. i sure hope so

·
Registered
500 Posts
Whether you are a racer or a backyard/parking lot thrasher, the fact that you can run the whole race weekend without rebuilding even one motor is awesome.

more RTR kits should come with these systems, then the sport would really grow.

now you can learn how to set-up a chassis to be fast. or just have FUN because that is why we do this anyway.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
Porksalot4L,
You will not be disappointed.
When will you get to race your new system?
You will be on here when you get home from your first BL race stating "why did I wait so long"? LOL!

Welcome to the club. There's room for everyone!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Timing????? I just bought a 4300 and put the upgrade rotor in and large bearing end bell. I did not see where the timing can be adjusted. How?

I have not received my GTB yet so I have not ran it yet.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
On the end of the motor that has the solder tabs there is a plastic ring that has notches molded into it. If you loosen the three bevel head screws on that end of the motor you can turn that ring. The difference only amounts to a few hundred RPM's. It's not a real big deal in terms of performance. If you want to play with it make sure you mark where the "factory" setting is. Apparently the motors have been 'tuned' to the optimal setting at the factory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts