Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a spy photo of my newest t-jet sprint...lifelike car is for size reference.

I'm still trying to get as much detail as possible in as small a package as possible... Don't think I can get the tail much smaller without cutting the chassis.

This is a prototype formed from styrene sheet, thats why it's blacked out inside the rollcage.

Your looking at a one of a kind test shot... had to paint one up to see if I liked it or not some revisions have already been made to the nose.

As always,I value your comments
ZIG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks videojimmy & T-jetjim !

Jimmy, The next picture will be of the revised nose...
What's happening here is the nose wing interferes with the pickup shoes movement, The mold buck has been modified to move the nose wing back about .050" and the sides were raised up aprox. 1/16" to allow the body to be slammed down a bit more.
NOTE: Chassis does not need to be modified in any way :thumbsup:

Jim, This is vacuum formed from .02 styrene sheet, however lottsa little pieces of styrene were cut up to make up part of the mold buck.
I used styrene to test the mold because it is easier to form than lexan, but I don't know... body post could be glued to the inside, Hmmmm!!!

The headers were resin cast, "originaly from a matchbox modified" Then glued to the mold buck and vacuum formed into the body.

ZIG

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I knew you were going to beat me to this! :) Looks very good, T-Jets are a bear to work with, I have been thinking about a ALMS sports car for them for a few weeks. I guess we'll see where the interest goes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Pete,
The t-Jet is tough to work with for any openwheel body... After doing resin casting where the mold is going to duplicate the master, I'm still just a bit off in estimating how big the body will be after .015 to .030 thick plastic is formed over the top of the mold. There is a big difference in the process!

I think that's why I had the problem with the pickup shoes?
Also did you notice that it looks like the roll cage is made out of 6" dia. tubing? :lol:

ZIG

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This is the main reason I used a dead chassis to build a car on. I use .015 sheet styrene for the build up, I fill anything with a complex curved shape (like a fuel tank) with 5 minute epoxy and then shape it with a dremel and sandpaper. I know resin casting is a lot more complex than vacuforming so I can skip the interior detailing when making a vacuform mold.

Sewer piping for a roll cage is a problem, that's one of the reasons why I didn't mold it into the USAC sprinter I just did. Its hard to get right but when you do it really pops the look. My problem was the exhausts especially with the MT/XT mounting tabs. I use a thick core solder to make the bars when I do model them in, its easy to bend and will stay straight when needed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
V2.0

Well... Here's a look at the revised nose.

It's kinda hard to see but I also slightly changed the sides of the hood, added rear torsion arms and shocks.

Now with the clear body you can see the hood is little more than a gearplate cover.

Still got a little more work though :devil:

Zig

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This would have been a cool build up as a midget or a TQ (three-quarter) with a Kawasaki engine offset. But this is a really nice build up on a subject nobody has ever done before. Kudo's.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, micyou03
& Pete
This is really my 3rd try at a t-jet lexan sprint...
Did a winged and non-winged version a while back.
Don't think anyone liked them much because you had to use bigger AF/X wheels to make them look rite.
My cars are more evolutionary than revolutionary :wave:
ZIG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Zig,
How are you making out with the new T-Jet sprint bodies? I am about ready to send you an order but if they are about ready I might just wait until they are finished. Keep up the great work.

Tom

·
Registered
327 Posts
zig,

Very nicely put out ride. Do some detail stuff myself. Considering such a small canvas to work with - HO - looks reall good to me . . .

Cheers,
Jas

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jas
Think I'm going to go with this one...
Still need to fit a driver but I like it so far, any suggestions?
ZIG

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
nice work Zig...
I am not sure that you need a driver..
Might be more trouble than it is worth to put the little bump of a helmet inside...
Did I mention, nice work?!!!

Scott

1 - 20 of 46 Posts