Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
i see epic based motors and mvp motors? where is the new stock motor? or did you mean new motor company?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Katfish I am pretty sure its a new TRINITY based stock motor .....Heard good things about the new motor we are running stock this weekend to test it out....SRM

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
hmmmmm that oval car looks very familiar? since i'm all growd up i dont play with stock motors anymore! na na na na lol

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
tyhe new motor looks awesome on the dyno.. most seem to average 70+ on the fantom.. but they dont seem much if any better then the monster on the track...
]
but as with any new motor, there is still gearing and tweaking to work on...

EPIC ROAR Rebuildable Stock Motor

Our latest addition to the EPIC Motorsports line is based on "Binary2" motor technology, but uses standard dual magnets in order to meet allROAR specs. This is the highest revving ROAR spec stock motor ever produced by EPIC. If you thought your "Monster Horsepower Stock" was fast, give one of these babies a try!

·
Registered
651 Posts
saw some

I payed a visit to my old dirt oval track, I used to frequent , last weekend.
about 60% of the Guys were useing these motors.
This is a Gearbox track, I.E. A/E, and Losi vehicles, or their trannies on Terminators, and CW cars.
I got the same report from my old buds who still run there, that the motor looks a "bit better" on the dyno, but works about the same on the track so far.
Time will tell if some gearing and tuning homework, will bring the motor further along, or not.
Hopfuly I can get a few good one from "brain"...(hint hint..LOL!) and use some of my present down time to conduct a little "bench tuning"

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
motorss

Burbs, I hate to disagree with you but i bought 5 of them and not one came near 70 . Just over 60. I gave them away to bob prodone. He helps them a little but still just over 60. rpms are high. We traded motors for tires. If you can get those # talk to bob prodone because he nows were to gear them. He makes them fly. Please done take this wrong I am not looking for a arument.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The site looks the same as the Sureshot website. But in any matter, that new car kit looks pretty sweet!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i do not think it looks alike at all but,i did do sureshots web page for them.i have a case of those motors and i have seen some good numbers on them. from 64 watts to 70 on a fantom dyno.the average rpm is around 23000. i think they run a little bit better than the monster. you may have to gear down because of the high rpm. i also have them for sale on my site along with monsters.all are hand tuned and race ready.just put them in your car and race. as far as the car there will be more available soon.i am having more made and am just waiting for the stuff to come back. www.ripmotorsports.com

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
FYI: We will be stocking the new RIP Motorsports motors at LEFTHANDER R/C as well.

In addition to the EPIC ROAR Stock PRO motor ( EPIC #1112 ) -- which we have in stock now, we will be carrying Bill's hand-tuned version of it as well !

Good racin' !

Jeff.

H

·
0 Posts
Looks like they (Epic) just rehashed the Binary Stock motor using 2 magnets to meet ROAR specs.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
highroller said:
Looks like they (Epic) just rehashed the Binary Stock motor using 2 magnets to meet ROAR specs.
Sort of

This motor uses the Monster can. The arm is the same type as the Monster/Binary variety, however this arm like the Monster meets the required wire length rule of 64" unlike the Binary which was about 60".
The Monster has 40 laminations, the new EPIC ROAR motor 38 lams and the Binary has 36 lams. The lighter arm produces a bit more RPM than a Monster does, but sacrifices some torque in the process.

At Classic we all ran them 2 weeks ago. A couple of us got some decent ones in the 65-66 watt range, with 23000+ RPM, .92-.94 torque.
But some of the other guys got some really bad ones with bushings drilled on angles which made the motor bind up and some even got ones then the magnets shifted and the arm would not go back in the can. They were not too happy with them. With a good set of brushes it pulled about 9 amps at 2 volts without a fan with 2 red springs. With an average set of brushes I only got about 7 amps out of it.

I was impressed though with the performance of it. I have only had about 4 (42 lap) runs ever on my local track with the Monster motor and the first 2 times out with this new EPIC ROAR motor ran 42 4:03 and 42 4:04, tying my personal best with the 42 4:03 run.

For comparison purposes on my robi dyno @7.5 volts.
My best Monsters are:
128-134 watts
33500-34500 RPM
78-82 Torque

The Epic ROAR on its first build was:
126 watts
34900 RPM
72 Torque

Another thing I noticed was at the 20 amp mark the Epic motor is about 2,000 more RPM than the Monster, but at the 30 amp mark it lost about 1,500 RPM to the Monster. Watts at those steps were significantly lower than my best Monsters as well.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Hey Bill, Welcome to the motor game! I dig the skulls on your website! With you now becoming a motor guy, maybe Jake will have to get a "bigger blower" on his Dominator for Walt's this year...lol

The New Binary 2 ROAR Stocks are pretty stout. We've rec'd our first cases about 4 weeks ago, so we've had ample time to really compare them. On an average, they are a bit faster than the Monster Stocks. They also average 2-4 watts higher on the CE Turbo Dyno. Not sure about the Fantom Dyno, since we don't use that dyno anymore...a "killer" motor on a Fantom does not reflect its on-track performance at all...
We just rec'd more cases in this week, and I sent a couple to Rodney Bauknecht and Phil Cooper to try in PA. I'll post some more on-track results as soon as I hear back from the boys...

Hope this helps everybody...
Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Todd!! that was my car with the blower.lol I have done 100 motors already and on the fantom dyno i have seen numbers from 64 to 69 watts, rpm from 20,000-25,000 and torque from .800+ to .995. Rodney and a few others ran the motors on friday nite at a local dirt track and everyone was happy.rodney was in the grass twice and lost 2 laps and still lapped the field to get those laps back and almost finished 2nd but ended up third(ran outta time)I only got 2 motors that wee not that good. wich is not bad at all.I will redo them and see why they are not as good.I am very pleased with the motors and i believe they are 3 laminations shorter than a monster motor.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
Erock: Trinity has named them the "EPIC Binary 2 ROAR Rebuildable Stk Motor"...it's the same as the new 2 mag motor that everyone is discussing. Hope that clears it up...

Bill: Yeah, I remember! I went in the shop and bought a model, just so I cold put the blower on Jake's car, after I saw yours...and you TQ'd the first round, if I remember correctly...I told Jake you outran him because your car had a blower abdhis didn't...
If you need anything, let me know. If you want to start winding mods, let me know and I'll tell you all the do's and don'ts, and what epoxies, etc. are good and which aren't...
Call me if you have any questions or if you just wanna BS... :thumbsup:

Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
www.putnampropulsion.com
(518) 452-0422

1 - 20 of 73 Posts