Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I agree with Roadsplat in rule interpretation. The 4000-25C is only required in the TOUR Sportsman Truck class. All other classes use a ROAR-approved battery.

From the TOUR Rules Package 2012-2013 Final 4[2] document:

Batteries:

For classes other than the Sportsman Truck class, 1-cell Lipo batteries (nominal voltage; 3.7v) which have received ROAR approval and are available (as defined by ROAR) to the public on or before October 1st, 2012 are to be used. Summer season approval date is May 1 2013.

The only battery permitted for the Sportsman Truck class is the SMC 4000 mAh, 25c pack, PN4025S

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold the first batch of 7000-1S with lower mAh and so far people who got them seem very happy with them.

We got in the second batch of packs with mAh around 6800-6900 and sold these to MSA so shops and tracks who deal with MSA will have access to these. Only got 50 packs in so 40 were sent out to MSA and 10 were used for our racers attending the IIC race in Vegas. Expect a new shipment by the middle of October.

If I can get the factory to send us more packs with lower mAh would you guys buy this pack at the lower price ? I think these would make great club level packs or practice packs. Only want to bring more end if there is demand for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a sportsman/hobby level racer, I want to be able to have a decent product that doesn't have the price driven up by a labor intensive testing, matching, cycling procedure.

If you have a line of batteries that you know your supplier can provide with a reasonable amount of consistency, and quality, and can offer those packs for a price that reflects little to no extra time of cycling and testing, but with a great price, those are the packs I'm interested in.

If and when I go to a bigger race, I may spend the money on a couple of higher end packs, but quality hobbiest packs from a known performance based company could be a great product to offer. Some guys may buy these just to have a couple extra practice packs without the worry of burning up their really good stuff.

I would love to see a very good quality 1 cell pack with modern mAh numbers available shipped for around $34.95 per pack. No cycling data, no hype, just a decent hobby level product.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your post.

Your price 34.95 price is to low. For a good 1S pack with low IR and good average voltage the price we pay for these is higher than 50% of a 2S pack. Seems like the factories know we can only sell limited amounts of 1S packs to they offer them at a higher price.

I need to talk with the factory and see if they can get more lower mAh packs and if they can I might be able to offer them for 39.95 but shipping isn't included.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess that's a shame, but I understand a mfg. having a higher price for lower quantities.

We currently have basher packs available from GensAce, who is not by any means a competition based company, but they offer a 1c pack through HobbyPartz for just $23.00 and change, with FREE SHIPPING on $50.00 orders.

We've also bought stuff from Pat at rclipos.com, who also is able to offer FREE SHIPPING.

In my opinion, this is the other battery market, but this one deals in more of a volume based arena than a performance based one. It would be nice to see a better mix of quality in this lower arena.

I'm sure you've seen ads for GensAce and HobbyPartz.com stuff, and I don't know if SMC could be made available through a lipo battery distributor like www.rclipos.com or not.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really not fair to compare lower end Lipos to higher end Lipos. I know that a lower end Lipo can run ok but it will never have the same performance as a high end Lipo.

What is the mAh on a 23.00 pack ? I can buy cheaper 1S packs but in the end not sure they are well suited for racing as in racing typically you need a certain amount of performance.

As far as shipping goes there is to ways to handle this. We put a higher price and include free shipping on a certain dollar amount or we keep the price as low as possible and shipping isn't included. In the end no matter what the customer always pays shipping and it's just the perception that is different. I think offering the lowest possible price makes more sense.

We have dropped our prices to be able to compete with Gens Ace and others but at this time we don't offer the lower end packs like they do. Our 6500-2S-70C pack which is 27 dollars more than their best pack is faster has higher mAh for more play time and does better under cycle life testing. We're going to release a 39.95 2S pack at the end of the October that will better than their 2S pack but will not be as good as our 6500-2S.

SMC is available through our website which keeps the prices as low as possible. For the 1S packs we do sell to MSA who sells to shops but for 2S packs we sell them at lower prices from our website.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I guess that's a shame, but I understand a mfg. having a higher price for lower quantities.

We currently have basher packs available from GensAce, who is not by any means a competition based company, but they offer a 1c pack through HobbyPartz for just $23.00 and change, with FREE SHIPPING on $50.00 orders.

We've also bought stuff from Pat at rclipos.com, who also is able to offer FREE SHIPPING.

In my opinion, this is the other battery market, but this one deals in more of a volume based arena than a performance based one. It would be nice to see a better mix of quality in this lower arena.

I'm sure you've seen ads for GensAce and HobbyPartz.com stuff, and I don't know if SMC could be made available through a lipo battery distributor like www.rclipos.com or not.

That stuff may work for you but its no where close to the quality of SMC I cant believe you would even compare the two :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Race71,

I didn't really compare them. I am requesting that Danny/SMC consider this type of market.

There is a current market for the lower end bashing or club racing pack, and my thought was that SMC would provide a better product, but it doesn't need to be the high end, matched, cycled, labor intensive product that top level racers require.

SMC has the 1c pack used by TOUR for their sportsman truck class, but the average basher doesn't even know those packs exist.

Danny thanks for the responses and information. The GensAce cheap pack only shows being a 4600 mAh, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the mAh because when everyone is running the same stuff, we're all pretty equal and there is no hype involved. It runs similar to the old 5000 mAh thunderpower packs but are considerably cheaper.

here is a link to their deal http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4600-1s2p-hardcase.html

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to have these conversations and I do have access to cheaper packs but not sure the market is big enough for these.

There is no added cost for matching , cycling and so on. Lipos are very simple you buy them from a factory that uses good materials and do a good job at matching the cells. We get the packs in and sell them as is assuming the batch is within the expected specs.

Really hope my info can help everyone better understand the market as many companies are taking advantage of the customer by claiming crazy C rate. In fact when it comes to C rate using a true standard 90% of the packs being sold are 15 to 30C. The lack of standard and companies using this to sell more packs at a higher prices really is out of control.

What makes for a more expensive pack is materials used and the true C rate and mAh.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the 1S market is different but unfortunately when it comes to 2S many want to believe in the Hype and marketing.

Wish I could tell more info to all of you as it makes me sick to see how the Lipo market has evolved. Prices are lower and factories feel they need to claim better specs then the companies selling packs add to these specs and so on.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts