Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has something to say about the ongoing battery wars. How about this for a rule to even the score. You could weigh the cars WITHOUT the batteries. All the chassis would have to weight the same. Say someone chooses to run 4200's he would pay a slight weight penalty due to the extra weight involved in having "more powerful batteries". Say someone runs 3600's, they would get a slight weight advantage but would be running "less powerful batteries". Would this help even the score between the haves and have nots? I don't know how much weight would be involved, .5 to 1 oz maybe? Let the battles begin!

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
1 oz will not slow any car down, it would take 5+ oz to see any difference......Batteries are not the problem, anyone can get good batteries! The stock guys are in hog heaven with batteries right now......You can buy $40 4 cell pack that can qual and win any major race in the country. If you think your getting beat by batteries, ur dead wrong! Work on your setup and practice, practice, practice! Read the Matt Francis good bye article in R/C Driver......The best equipment can only take you so far, driving and setup skills are what win races!!!!!!!!

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
Oh yea, There isn't a battery war between racers. The problem with batteries is IB advances the battery every batch with high MAHR and VOLTAGE.....Plus the cells are not very durable.......I miss my 3300s GPs........

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted because I see alot of "concern" about all the new batteries coming out. Batteries are a problem or people would not be saying much about the new stuff coming out.
And no I don't think I'm being beat by batteries, I know how and why I'm getting beat.
I beg to differ with you that batteries aren't the problem when they are. A lot of a racers resources are spent on batteries and everyone wants the latest and greatest.
The point being eventually the so called battery wars take their toll and the hobby loses racers. I see it posted on threads all the time, " why can't we run the new batteries" in a certain series etc etc. If batteries are not the problem then why not let the new batteries be legal as soon as there released.

·
Team DCM
2,309 Posts
jozimoto said:
I beg to differ with you that batteries aren't the problem when they are. A lot of a racers resources are spent on batteries and everyone wants the latest and greatest.
I can definately say this is the PROBLEM, people HAVE TO HAVE the new stuff when the old works just fine.............. I too know why and when I get beat so I feel the pain on batteries, but I am still using 3800's and doing ok, keeping up for the most part I need to work on the car though

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The Jet said:
People only "THINK" they need the latest and greatest...So, we need to...STOP THINKING!!! :jest: .
Wiser words were never spoken!!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
It's just the old "keep up with the jones syndrome" that everybody seems to have these days.As long as you keep fresh cells which most will for a big race,driving and chassis will take you so much further than any battery,I've lost and won more races due to driving and set up than I'll ever win or lose just cause of batteries.I have to agree with JFLACK work on the chassis and get as much track time as possible that's really where the key is.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
well get ready for another battery to come out REAL soon, and the shv's are not that much heavier than a 3800. my 4200 shvs weighed in at .63 of a pound and the 3800's at .61 but thats with wrap. so why does everyone focus on that? and the people who say chassis is key is absolutly right, not to burst my own bubble here but I have paid close attention to my setups with my cars more than batteries and motors and have caught the eyes of alot of people because I am not that far off than most are as I was way off not that long ago. if your tired of shaking your head as your leaving that day of racing and think its because of batteries you wrong. pay extra attention to your chassis before you bench test your batteries and motors and all that crap that time can be spent on chassis and tire combo. these IB's come from the same place and I havent realy seen a matcher put out anything recently less than 1.205 or higher. last year we were running 3300's and I cant remeber ever seeing them that high. .02

·
Registered
843 Posts
The batt's are evolving because the technology is, personally I'd rather be in the situation where the batt's are a little more fragile, and a little more inexpensive and are easily replaced because tehy are all of a very good quality then go back to the way it was 10 years ago, preying and hoping for a good date code to coem out, then hopign that trinity wasn't weighing all the cases and sending out only the lightest ones so that way noone would have the cells that they had.... believe me when I say we're in alot better position right now with the IB stuff then we have been in years.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
jflack said:
Plus the cells are not very durable.......I miss my 3300s GPs........
I said this in a thread and almost got lynched. :lol: I'd rather have durability than have to "baby" cells any day.

Everybody keeps talking about price. From what I've seen over the years the prices have stayed about the same just the MAH have gone up.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
price is the same if not cheaper. mah and voltage go up quality gone way down. i too loved the gp3300. man I could beat the snot out of those cells. plus deadshorting rules!!!!!!!! I looked at a ib3800 wrong the other day and lost 2 cells!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm probably more used to this sort of cell treatment being that I ram the panasonic 3000's while at trinity for a few years, they are fragile like the ultra metal's were, but the performance is much like they were too, very very fast, just have to treat them right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts