Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody run the new Reedy stuff???
I run 4 cell modified oval and 19 turn, I'm really thinking about getting this setup. It sounds like the power of a 9 turn but MUCH more runtime, which translates into the same lap times from start to finish, does that sound right???

Thanks, Bret

·
Registered
934 Posts
So far the production parts are not out yet. I got a look at it at the Chicago show but they did not have a working setup at the show. Talking with them they were saying Febuary for them to com out, but now they annouce it to be out early December. Will have to wait and see if they make the delivery date. Then see about some one actualy running it. I'm looking at it for summer '05 if all goes well with it. Would be the first time in 18 years I've not run a Novak speed control.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The Jet said:
Hmmm, guess I'll just have to wait. It's just an experiment for me, nobody around here runs brushless at all, so I guess I'll be the guina pig ;) .

Later, Bret
I'm in the same boat no one here runs a brushless but I can't wait for the reedy bl to come out. The more bl systems out there the more people will hopefully get into it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've run the new Reedy brushless motor and LRP ESC and it's an awesome combo. It has none of the bad traits that some brushless systems have. It's super smooth and delivers crazy run time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No, I didn't buy the system at Madness, but I'm Chris will have some good deals when he gets them in if he hasn't already. I just tested it and was very impressed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NHRCRACER said:
I've run the new Reedy brushless motor and LRP ESC and it's an awesome combo. It has none of the bad traits that some brushless systems have. It's super smooth and delivers crazy run time.
do you think they would make it waterproofed and with LiPo support? and how about a HV ESC for monster trucks

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
LRP is saying 'March' now for their release of their controler. It's not clear if their motor will be released at the same time or not. They are saying 4-7 cells (1.2v cells)... No mention of LiPo... and no mention of waterproofing... So I would suspect that the anser is ther is no support for LiPo or waterproofing...

Castle Creations is talking about a HV system in their lineup, but at this point it's just talk and no release date. It would seem they would likely support LiPo, but then maybe in big truck type application there isn't that much demand for LiPo, since it's my understanding that LiPo currently isn't ready for large amp draw except in the most expensive batteries... Castle does have lipo support in their Mamba-25 18th scale controler however, so it could be in this new HV product too.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Has anyone seen one of the LRP brushless controlers yet? Tower says 'late may' still, however tower does usually send product out to hobby shops before they start selling it themselves online... (at least I've been lead to beleive this is their practice)

The following is a quote from 'burito' over at rctech, who is apparently someone directly involved with this brushless project over at LRP...

"First of all, we are VERY sorry about the delays. But these were mostly out of our control due to availability of certain components and we were not willing to sell a product which isn't done according to our likes.

First batch of SPHERE speed-controls has been shipped last week, expect them to be available while I write this. Of course it will take a few weeks to fulfill all backorders but the speed-control is in full production now and shipments leave LRP every week.
The real production quantities for the motor will be sent out by end of this month, very early next month.

This is not another "guess" about the release... Again, sorry for the inconvienence but I can promise it was worth the waiting."

·
Registered
167 Posts
The LRP has no heat sinks on the ESC and it will not run sensorless brushless motors that narrows it down to 3 BL motors it can run the Reedy Neo, the Novak 4300 and 5800 motors. Of course it can run any brushed motor, but who cares about that.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
It does run at 4.8 volts... The Reedy Neo One, and the two Novak motors are built within the ROAR/IFMAR specs as well. Are there any other sensored brushless motors that meet those specs? I suspect there will be many ROAR legal sensored brushless motors over time. This is a new thing for ROAR, and at this time many of us still try to run stuff that is ROAR legal... Not to mention those of us who race in competition where 4.8 volts is the normal operating voltage, so this LRP product is important to many of us, if for no other reason then curriousity in terms of how it will perform in comparison to the Novak SS.

Heat sinks... well I didn't design it, so I don't know whether or not they are really nessasary. Did they run heat sinks on the controler when they won that recent 12th scale ROAR national title with it?

Does anyone know for sure if there are any sensorless motors that meet the ROAR specs?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Further resonses from 'burito' over on rctech, indicate there is a heat sink for the LRP controler, it apprently is optional, but is more or less a nessecity in many application such as in a Touring Car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Amazing how ROAR wrote the rules to satisfy 2 big sponsors with the mention of sensored brushless motors. Now a ruling needs to be made to the sensorless motors sensor harness fell off during the race and besides who knows how to tech for this????

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I'm not clear on what you mean in that last message...

Motors don't have to be sensored... If they do have sensors, the there is a spec for the connector and pin layout. If there are no sensors, then no need for this connector.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't race at ROAR tracks like alot racers don't in my area, so tracks don't join to save money for the racers. Now the rules were written for sensored motors, which leaves out a large number of motors like the Hackers, Plettenbergs, Lehner, Feigao, etc. except the 3 sensored motors (Reedy Neo, Novak 5800 and 4300) made by big sponsors of ROAR and IFMAR.

·
Registered
980 Posts
2005 ROAR Rules
8.7.5.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed

I do not agree with running brushless with modified brush motors in the same class.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
As phil said, both can be legal as long as they conform to the other specs (sizes and winds). All they would need to do is submit them to ROAR for approval. The wiring and plug specs for the sensored motors were done to make sure you can use any legal sensored motor with any sensored ESC. Don't blame ROAR if your favorite sensorless motor isn't legal, it's the manufacturers responsibily to submit the motors they have to ROAR for approval.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Actualy for brushless motors, ROAR has removed the regulation that required submition for aproval... all you have to do now is conform to the physical dimensions and/or specs, and have it available for distribution within the USA, etc...

http://www.roarracing.com/rules/index.htm

Make sure you scroll down a bit to see the new rules related to motors...

Section 8.7.5.1 clearly says sesnored or sensorless are allowed.

If any of the sensorless motors by hacker etc... are illegal it's not because they don't have sensors...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts