Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have ideas for getting rid of a t-plate all together? it takes up a lot of real estate on a chassis.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
pivot

you could use a rear pod with a pivot like one of the last Racetech cars had, and mount brackets at the rear of the chassis plate. then attach the pivot that would allow the rear pod to float up and down.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
A t-plate seems to be the fastest way around the track. The pivot ball rear does work on some tracks, but the t plate works much better on almost all tracks.. You can use all diff kinds of t plates to help your setup. In my opinion this is one of the most used adjustments we have.... Also with the weight of cars now days taking the t plate off just means more lead.. All of the cars that used the floating rear end went to t plates, or stopped making cars ..

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The Woods X-15 was a killer car and it had a floating pod, although it was still held by a T-Plate so it doens't really satisfy what the orginal poster was looking for.

I ran mine one day this winter at Kenosha and all I did was thow it on the track and it was within a lap if I could have kept my nose clean and driven better.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I wish the floating rear pod was still around. I had active rear steer into the corners and it would straighten out after you exit. Trinity had that on the Switchblade I and II. You really had to put some spring into the car due to the lack of the t-plate plus the oil was really heavy too. I was using 10-12lb center springs and 70-80wt oil.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
pmsimkins said:
The Woods X-15 was a killer car and it had a floating pod, although it was still held by a T-Plate so it doens't really satisfy what the orginal poster was looking for.

I Loved my X-15,I wish they would come back with a new version,it was a killer car for sure.How about the TRC Lynx rear end?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Here is the closest thing I know of to what you are wanting that is readily available, but it is designed as an open wheel chassis. (http://www.rcindycars.com/spitfire.html). This car was designed as a road course car that can use stick packs down the middle of the chassis. It also runs very well at the Indy Velodrome. If you contact Tim at RCIndycars, he might be able to make a oval pan car chassis without the t-plate. I believe that he already designed a velo/pan car chassis for a spec pack battery class that he ran last year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you guys. I have been designing a new kind of rear end that uses no t-plate and has what I would term roll-steer.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
How about a really old school TRC/Composite Craft Lynx? Rear pod worked on a pivot with no T bar and used a sway bar to control roll. It also had a solid beam front end. They were unbeatable back in the early 90's at CEB Motors which was a very bumpy banked concrete track. They really smoothed out the bumps but were very slow when the track was smooth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone still remember the HPI rear set up. Another one with no T plate. Great set up if you could get it to hold tweak. I still miss my HPI

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
BRhodes said:
How about a really old school TRC/Composite Craft Lynx? Rear pod worked on a pivot with no T bar and used a sway bar to control roll. It also had a solid beam front end. They were unbeatable back in the early 90's at CEB Motors which was a very bumpy banked concrete track. They really smoothed out the bumps but were very slow when the track was smooth.
That was the HOT ticket back when I first started racing,you had either a lynx or a Bolink LTO SS,we had a bumpy indoor concrete oval also.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, guys. Hank- neat car! I was just wondering with so many advancements in the last few years why we were still relying on t-plates and battery tape.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts