Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Completed project - 1/350 NX-01

Ok folks, here is my next build. Got plenty of time, patience, LED's, and planning lined up for this one. This is my second build for this bad boy. Didn't light the first one so having a go at it this time. Here are some pics of everything layed out and even some of my old kits that have been sitting around for years ...waiting. I will keep you updated as the build progresses. I have high hopes for this one. I am going to build a mirror universe version right after this one and plan to document that one as well. Will update soon!

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/zenomorp/NX-01%20Build/

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cool! Keep the pics coming. I don't have any time to build so I really enjoy progress pics. BTW, what size resistors are you using on those T1 LEDS?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Zeno...I'm glad your using one of my circuit kits. I wonder what you could use on the Bussard dome to get a blink and rotating effect?

A recent update here to the WWB circuit for the 22" TOS was a resized nacelle LED circuit disk to fit to the NX-01...looks like 5 points of light in rotation. For the Nav Strobes a new circuit with a 3909 can be wired into the board as a seperate modual. Rotation, blink and flash rates all adjustable with trim pots.

Development is nearly done and everything works AOK :thumbsup:
I hope to launch the new circuits soon.

DLM

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
DL Matthys said:
I wonder what you could use on the Bussard dome to get a blink and rotating effect?

DLM
I don't ever recall the bussard collector domes on the NX-01 rotating like TOS E.
If they do, I have never seen it. I don't think I have even seen anyone build one up with the rotating collectors. Maybe because your new board is just coming out. Thanks for providing awesome boards and circuits. I could build them all myself from scratch, but it's just so much easier benefiting from your services. When I do my next Refit build, I plan on ordering your "A" shuttle bay and your aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Rotate like the TOS domes they did...Seam to be all in red so that each disc for the NX will accomadate fifteen 3mm red LEDs with one big 5mm LED in the middle, constantly on.

DLM

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez...I am considering holding off until you release these. Sound awesome! I was going to just use the part that comes with the kit and use 3mm white led's coated with a clear red as well as the clear dome coated with clear red on the inside. When do you plan on releasing these new boards?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Updated! Posted pics of applying foil to the saucer and drilling out some spotlight holes. The hull is really thick at places so I can't really do the spotlight effect through the hull from the inside so I have to drill out some holes. After I get the windows cleared out, I'll start wiring up some LED's.

G

·
Sounds like DLM will be saving me and some others a bundle of grief when it comes to certain aspects lighting the NX...
I can fully live with that.

Zeno : The tedium is all part of the fun...really...i kid you not...just keep telling yourself that...;)

Go easy

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
<Sigh>

All this talk of lighting the 1:350 NX-01. NOW, I really DO wish I had put lights in mine! Oh well. I posted pics of my finished NX-01 a week or two back, and it would have looked even better lit up. Don't get me wrong. She looks great unlit, but.........well, you know. I'm still thinking about building a clear display case to keep it in, and simulating a drydock, with spotlights on it, to light up the kit.

Maybe this will inspire me to do a better job on my 1:350 Refit, and who knows......maybe I'll find another NX-01 kit floating around, and get the urge to go into drydok again! LOL

Good luck on the kit building! Will watch for updates!

Sincerely,
Scorp

"Boldly GO!" :wave: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I used a Wardell Warp Board in my 350th NX-01, but I used the clear plastic disks that came with the kit, mounted 12 leds on the disk, 6 red on the outside and 6 yellow on the inside. I made 6 sets of 2, 1 red and 1 yellow each, then wired opposing sets with their corrosponding circuit. I tried to wire them so each circle of 6 would rotate in opposite directions, but the wiring got too complicated.
The model itself won't win any awards, but I'm pleased with the lighting effects

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
zenomorp said:
330 Ohms. +/-5%. Orange,orange,brown,gold are the color bands. They are going to be utilized on a 12v system. Why can't you find time to build your own, if don't mind me asking.

Thanks. Curious, is the resistor just a current limiting thing? Does it affect the brightness at all?

I have a 2 and 1/2 year old and a 9 month old child. My boss is also put us on mandatory overtime. No models for a while...
(however, working on a model time just might save my sanity)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Added some new pics to the gallery! Progressing nicely. Completed the aztec on the upper saucer. Turned out pretty well. I went with the colors that the instructions said to use. Gun metal for the base and Steel for the top coat. Gun metal seems a bit dark now that I have some of the total process done, but it's close enough for me to live with. What do YOU GUYS think?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have one more board design to add to the WWB. The strobe modual using a 3909 chip. After it is etched I'll have a plan and kit to fit the WWB for running the blinking lighing it operating lights. Won't be to long now.

DLM

G

·
I like it Zeno, i like it a lot !!
That nacelle lighting really looks cool :thumbsup:

You keep that kinda thing up so i'll have a level to shoot for when i do mine.

Go easy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Raytheon said:
I like it Zeno, i like it a lot !!
That nacelle lighting really looks cool :thumbsup:

You keep that kinda thing up so i'll have a level to shoot for when i do mine.

Go easy.
Thanks a lot Raytheon. That means a lot coming from a builder like you. Glad you decided to fix some of the colors on your refit. Don't get me wrong, LOVED every aspect of it, but the "refit" of your refit looks better. Thanks again for your kind words. I just got home from work and starting the lower saucer now.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts