Hobbyist Forums banner

New Photos

7K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  bearsox 
#1 · (Edited)
New Photos - updated w/more pics

Greetings --

I have some new pics now that the track is about 95% done.

We have gone from this:

To this now:

I hosted a terrific HO Champ Car event last night. I'll post more pics this weekend.

'doba

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice job Doba!! Lookslike ALOT of fun :)

You know, I wish I had your free time..........of course if I did have it I'd probobly not be able to afford this hobby LOL

I did a little clinic on dressing up those little bottle brush tree's somewhere...hmmm cant recall, where did I leave that clinic..HMMMM Maybe its in my Thread here ;)

Of course maybe youve already done this. its hard to tell on an Overall view.

cant wait to see the other 5%................by the way, did I ever tell you I did do one of thos HO die cast Nascar body builds?? Sure changes the operation of the car......tracks MUCH better and although they run slower, they are still way faster than you need as long as your running similar set ups.
Best part, They LOOK amazing compared to the plastic bodies!!

So, lets see a little Nascar action :)

#6 ·
I used 1/32nd scale Scalectric guardrail to mimic the Armco barriers on European circuits. I cut the posts down shorter and hot glued the rails to nails which I drilled holes for thru the tabletop.

The 5% remaining to do includes a catch fence around the Stadium turn and fences to mark off the forest and paddock areas. Some of our racers can be seen in this pic. There were 13 of us running on Thursday.

Here is the "multi-million dollar" (in HO scale) pit / paddock complex with the F1 style garages. This took three months to complete and is built from Legos.

More later.

'doba

#7 ·
Here's a little lower angle on the pit area. The covered platforms are HO train platforms are supposed to represent the area of the pic where the F1 teams always call the race from. Eventually I would like to put some team figures up under there with the sign boards that tell the driver what position they are in and how far behind they area (i.e. P2, -3.5 Schum, +2 Alonso)

The Media Center with Race Control tower on top. This sits in the middle of the pit, between the two sets of garages. There are six 2-car garages on each side of this structure, which is fully supported by Lego Technic beams. The garages are also lit and yes it was a pain in the arse.

More later.

'doba

#16 ·
Fan-friggen-tastic! Nice job. :thumbsup:

Those buildings look really cool and my nephew would be so jealous to see what you did with Legos. (He's the Lego Prince!) The Legos add to the cinder block look. The glass sections of the suite/press box look really cool with the tint. I like the underpass area that takes you out into the pits. That's just like MIS. At MIS they actually do the final inspection in the area under the suites as the cars roll out to the track. ;) That is if you can keep the officials awake. :p

#19 ·
Slott V said:
P.S.; what happened to the Pagoda-looking green glass tower? :)
That weird-looking thing is actually unexplainable. It is plastic panels and clear bricks and stuff that are kind of like Lego but they aren't. I got them from my uncle when I was in Germany visiting family with my mother. I remember getting them on a trip to a factory, but I don't know what their use was.

Years later I just took all the green plates and stuck them together with the top few layers separated by the opaque kind of clear pieces with colored pieces behind them. It's not really a building, just a -thing- . I'll have to snap a pic sometime.

'doba

#20 ·
Slott V said:
. . . The glass sections of the suite/press box look really cool with the tint. I like the underpass area that takes you out into the pits. That's just like MIS. At MIS they actually do the final inspection in the area under the suites as the cars roll out to the track
I snapped these pics last summer during the F1 weekend at Indianapolis. I wanted to get some ideas for my pit lane but this was way, way before I ever even could have guessed I'd end up using Legos.

Once I started with the Legos, I definitely wanted to have a Gasoline Alley feel under the media center part of the pit lane.

'doba

#23 ·
Doba - A couple of months ago you promised a tower and pit area that would blow us away. I certainly am not disappointed. Great looking layout. 8' x 16' is a great size, that's what I have! Unfortunately, I tried to cram as much track as possible into that space so mine is not as clean as yours.

Jim

#25 ·
Just out of Curiosity, Are you planning on Painting your track?

Some do, some dont, I was just wondering if you were thinking about it.

I painted Mine for a couple of reasons, the biggest being plastic track is a DUST MAGNET.......Painting it makes a World of Differance!! :)

#26 ·
How does painting track make it any less likely to attract dust? The rails have power going thru them afterall so it shouldnt matter much.

Anyway, I just wet my pants after seeing the finished product. VERY WELL DONE SIR! I knew when you first started this it was going to turn out great. Everything is very realistic and the time you put into it really shows. Congrats, now just enjoy racing on it! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.