Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just trying to get started doing csome custom diecast. First 4 I did are pretty good and I am applying Clear coat from Testors spray can and look good. Problem is the next 3 I have tried to coat looks like Orange peel? Could it just be the weather? Live in the south. Any help you could give to new person at this sure would be appreciated. :wave:

·
Registered
336 Posts
It could well be the weather. Humidity plays havoc with spray paint. I know that living in Florida, I don't even attempt to spray paint anymore during the spring or summer. Almost guaranteed failure. Moisture in the air gets on the model and condenses in the airborne spray, or something like that.

You need an indoor, climate-controlled (air-conditioned) spray booth for consistent success. Or move to Arizona! ;)

Humidity is evil. One of these days I plan to have it killed!

Qapla'

SSB

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Oddly enough, I've asked this question before because I had the same problem - and I live in Florida.

Here is the solution I used after considerable help from the board:

a) Don't use rattle cans
b) Use an airbrush with 15 psi air pressure and mosture trap (I bought a real nice regulator for my basic compressor)

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!!!

Will try some of that and see but most of all wait on weather to cool. Have never tried airbrushing before is a lot more difficult? Thanks again Guys for the input I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
once you get the hang of using an aiirbrush, its easy. for a beginner, try a single actiion airbrush. use a compreeor with a tank, and a moisture trap, as opposed to one of the "tire filling" compressors or the propellant cans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts