Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The CAF was at a local airport with the Tuskegee Mustang about 3 miles from my house about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I wonder if Greenlight will make this one too. They did the previous Mustang inspired Mustang Ford made so it could happen. I hope so, I'd love to have them sitting on my shelf together.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to see Greenlight make this Mustang in 1:64 scale. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started a thread in the Greenlight forum for Russell to make it in 1:64 scale.

If you would like to see it made, please post in the Greelight forum too. :wave:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Love the plane, like the car, but I have always loved those super big extended trucks, too. We went to a car show once, and I asked the driver if I could look inside his truck instead of the cars. Had a shower and slide-outs.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I like the looks of the "D" P-51 Mustang best! :thumbsup: Just sayin.
The North American P-51 was an awesome aircraft, whichever version it was, any way you look at it. The "D" version looked 'sexier' with it's unusual for the time bubble canopy, but any version would fly rings around just about anything else in the air at the time including a German ME-262 jet, in the hands of the right pilot... As the Tuskegee Airmen proved on more than one occasion! I live in awe of those gentlemen who were so willing to lay it all on the line for a country that typically treated them like second-class citizens. I may not be a Ford fan, but I can appreciate the thought that went into the project. The 4-wheeled Mustang posing with the winged version is a great tribute to the legendary men who flew those red-tailed birds in the skies over Europe during the dark days of WW II.

(A piece of trivia, in case you didn't know this already: Lee Iacocca came up with the "Mustang" name, not for the horse, but for this warbird! The horse connection with all of it's badging was just more logical than putting diecast, 3-dimensional airplanes on the car's grilles. Furthermore, G.M. had already laid claim to the name, so Ford had to buy the rights from them to use it. G.M. didn't have any immediate plans for the name, so they sold the rigts to it to Ford for something like $1,000.

One final piece of Mustang trivia, gleaned from Lee Iacocca's autobiography: He was inspired to push the Mustang into production due to the fact that the Chevy Corvair Monza was basically eating the Falcon Futura's lunch in sales in the early 1960's! The fake air intakes that most Mustangs except for the "Fox-Body" cars have carried came directly from the Corvair being rear engined. The first prototype Mustangs were ALSO rear-engined!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts