Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Spock said wha??! <insert faint meme here> :)
[/QU
Yes, it's true, even I can be wrong at times. All kidding aside, I always said I hoped that Moebius would prove me wrong (regarding producing more kits). They have and I'm glad.

In 1/350, the Discovery should be almost 16" lg, which for me, would work out great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Color me very pleasantly surprised--this is more like the output from the old Moebius. I suspect the Aries will be around the size of the EVA pod which will drive some people crazy but I think it sounds fantastic--and a 1/350 Discovery fits in perfectly with what I collect too. And if they can make some alternate limbs for the astronaut figure you could easily paint them as Bowman or Poole.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Color me very pleasantly surprised--this is more like the output from the old Moebius. I suspect the Aries will be around the size of the EVA pod which will drive some people crazy but I think it sounds fantastic--and a 1/350 Discovery fits in perfectly with what I collect too. And if they can make some alternate limbs for the astronaut figure you could easily paint them as Bowman or Poole.
That size should allow for an interior...given that the Aries is the location of the iconic "Stewardess Walking Upside-down in Zero-G", it would be awesome to have that captured in styrene. Here's hoping they can afford to go the extra 9 yards for that!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,089 Posts
That size should allow for an interior...given that the Aries is the location of the iconic "Stewardess Walking Upside-down in Zero-G", it would be awesome to have that captured in styrene. Here's hoping they can afford to go the extra 9 yards for that!
Pretty sure that scene happened on the Orion spaceplane.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Orion spaceplane only had the one deck...the stewardess was going up from the Aries' passenger section to the cockpit, which was positioned upward from the passenger section.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nope. It's aboard the Aries spacecraft on the trip to the moon.

The galley scene where the stewardess comes in, picks up a tray, and then walks up the wall to exit upside down, was filmed using a rotating set with all lights and the camera secured to the rotating structure. The stewardess merely remained upright as the set and camera rotated around her.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The galley scene where the stewardess comes in, picks up a tray, and then walks up the wall to exit upside down, was filmed using a rotating set with all lights and the camera secured to the rotating structure. The stewardess merely remained upright as the set and camera rotated around her.
Yep, the old rotating-set trick. The same gimmick was used to show Fred Astaire dancing on the walls and ceiling in 1951’s Royal Wedding.

A 1/48 scale Aries would be perfect. That would make it 10” in diameter (the hypothetical “real” Aries was 40 feet across), big enough for a nicely detailed interior. (I don’t think the Zero Gravity Toilet instructions would be legible at that size, though.)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Unfortunately the upside down Stewardess scene takes place inside the Aries somewhere where we cannot see. There is a lot of discussion as to exactly where because the geometry as shown does not really fit inside the unseen areas well...

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Unfortunately the upside down Stewardess scene takes place inside the Aries somewhere where we cannot see. There is a lot of discussion as to exactly where because the geometry as shown does not really fit inside the unseen areas well...
It's also a completely gratuitous gimmick shot. There's no reason for the stewardess to do that silly maneuver. Why can't she just grab the food trays and float into the cockpit?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,089 Posts
It's also a completely gratuitous gimmick shot. There's no reason for the stewardess to do that silly maneuver. Why can't she just grab the food trays and float into the cockpit?
Right? Unfortunately The Expanse suffers the same problem of trying to film zero-G spaceship environments in a studio. Everyone has magnetic boots, but they use them to climb stairs and ladders, and they sit at tables and sip cups of coffee made in a drip coffee maker.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
And how uncomfortable is it to enter and exit the cockpit on the moon? I don't recall anything like a ladder, and 1/6 g is nice and light but you're not floating...

I wouldn't believe for a moment that the pilots merely sit in the cockpit waiting for resupply and boarding and zoop right back to the station. Mind, in the context of the movie I have no doubt it was drop off Floyd and take off to maintain the quarantine fiction but in regular service? I don't think so.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Never thought much about how the pilots exited until now- good point!
My biggest problem with the pilots in the Aries is that while flying to the moon the view ports are great, but they would not see anything when landing. In the film the view out looks like it is horizontal and the pilot cabin is not able to see in that direction.

·
Elder Statesman
1,846 Posts
Looking forward to the figure. I have a figure 1/8 scale from Lunar Models, back in the day, with the monolith and ape, lost the arm of the ape.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts