Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone im new to the forum and in desperate need of some help! I have a husqvarna 272xp that wont fire. the magneto went bad and i took one out of a 51 and she ran great. i probably didnt even get 20 minutes of work out of it before i lost fire again! ive changed the plug and still cannot get fire. any ideas on whats killing my magnetos? also i have a craftsman saw made by poulan that will start easy and will have good power for a minute then it loses power and will jump back and forth from power to no power sometimes you have to milk the throttle just to keep it running. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

·
Registered
103 Posts
ck your switch and wiring to the mag if you pull the kill wire and it fires the switch is bad or wires are shorting the craftsman i would ck the fuel lines in the tank and make sure that the filter is still attached to the line if not debris from the tank will block fuel flow inside the carb good luck

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Agree with big ed, also on some craftsman chain saws there is a fuel pump pulse hose to the carburetor and or a rubber intake insulater that can develop cracks and air leaks. Check and make sure that if you have a pulse hose it is not cracked and is attached to crankcase and carburetor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man this husky is giving me fits! i just went out to try big eds suggestion and what do you know i get spark, itll even fire and run sorta,but just falls on its face. itll run strong and then just lose all power and die. it sounds like im loseing spark, but as soon as it dies i pull the plug and ive got spark so i put it back in and itll do it all over again. since its basically doing the same thing as the craftsman i checked the fuel filter and everything looks ok. when a magneto goes out it just goes flat out its not intermitten is it? the fuel is a little old maybe around four months, think maybe there's some water in it? almost forgot i hooked the kill wire back up and didnt change anything. the craftsman is 30 mi away where im cutting cedar, so i wont be able to check it till tuesday, but i forgot to mention in my first post that before it dies sometimes itll rev way up like its leaning out.thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ignition modules / mags can be intermittent - I had one years ago that did that. When the engine got hot, it would die - but would run again when it cooled down. I thought it was the carb, put in a kit and (surprise) it didn't help. Finally the module died completely - so intermittent failures can occur - but in your case it sounds like there are other issues that need to be addressed first, such as old and contaminated fuel. Empty out the tank and start out with fresh fuel mix. Check & clean the carb to remove any contaminants. I believe your problem lies in fuel delivery, not ignition...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts