Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My name is Ciao and I have been collecting 1:64's on and off for a while now. I recently got back into it when I started seeing better models/tooling popping up (2011-12). For the past few weeks, I've been hunting every chance I get in hopes of finding something "cool". Nothing in particular has been eye catching, but I guess I've had a tendency of finding things that are somewhat rare? because I'd buy them once and never see them again (Mystery Machine, Hiway Hauler 2, K.I.T.T). Anyways, I have a question:

Do different stores receive different cars? Target and Toys r Us seem to be consistent with whats on shelves, but Wallyworld is the only place I've seen showrooms and redlines. This is just observation, but I have reason to believe theyre different.

O and because this thread is worthless without oics; from a local big box store soft opening. I only bought 2 though.

i guess I cant post pics but if you want you can fill in the blanks

hxxp://i50.tinypic.com/350jv5l.jpg

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Welcome aboard! You'll find that this is a great place for information. A lot of helpful people.
As for your questions, all the big box stores (Wal-mart, Target etc) get mainlines in. How often they do depends on their ordering system and how many cars are purchased.
The Redlines you mentioned were Wal-Mart exclusives, a set of 10 cars this year I believe. Most stores also carry the higher end series like the Nostalga line and the Hot Ones. For instance the Decades series is only found at Wal-Mart.
The Highway hauler 2 and KITT have been very tough to find, once they have been pegged they didn't stay around long. The Mystery Machine was tough at the start but once Wally got in some BOD's (bins of death) a few weeks ago, there were a lot of them.
I hope this helps, sorry for the long read and again welcome to Hobby Talk.

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
Welcome to Hobbytalk.com Kaws. Nice Finds Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Do different stores receive different cars? Target and Toys r Us seem to be consistent with whats on shelves, but Wallyworld is the only place I've seen showrooms and redlines. This is just observation, but I have reason to believe theyre different.
Welcome to HobbyTalk! As for your question, the Redlines are a Wal-Mart exclusive. If, by "Showroom," you mean something like the 2013 Lincoln Continental in green, then no, those aren't exclusives. Wal-Mart just seems to get stuff a little earlier than other stores. You will also, through some weird idiosyncracy with distribution or a return, see one store's exclusive show up in another store.

Oh, and by the way, where in California are you?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
There have been other minor things besides the red ringed tires too. This past summer, there were some cars that had a Hot Wheels banner across the top of the window. There was a lime green VW Brasilia and a yellow muscle car that I forget, among others. I think the Hot Ones 5 packs were only at Target too.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
The Banner Cars were another Wal-mart exclusive, they had them this year and last year.
You are correct the Hot Ones chase packs were Target exclusives as well.
Certain stores will carry an exclusive color of car or like the Banner Cars that are Wal-Mart exclusive, the same car can be found eleswhere but without the banner.
If you end up a variation collector like I am these things will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Heh, I meant to note that the banner cars were from Wal Mart. Some more things came to mind. There have been a few Wal Mart only colors on car like the tooned and lowered custom Beetles too. Target had those silly ones with 'car bands' in them as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone :)
Seeing as this is one of the smaller internet communities I'm on, I'm glad that members take the time to help each other out. I think from here on out, I may stick to paying resell prices for things that I like just because I can't justify "hunting" anymore when I'm paying damn near $80 for a tank of gas. I will however, be attending the next K-day in hopes of finding something cool.
Currently, I deeply regret not getting the JNC Skylines from '11, so I hope theres more variations of them this following year. I am still dumbfounded as to how I see "pick up" posts saying there are still stores to this day that have overstock of old models. Perhaps I just live in an area with a high population of collectors? I don't know. And alter-autos, I'm in LA/San Diego.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Welcome to the group. I am still pretty new to. I find though it is a smaller group, these guys know thier stuff. I don't think I have ever seen a question go unanswered, unless it's an obvious scalper question, or if in your first post you are asking about finding Treasure Hunts and values. You are a lucky guy, I still have yet to even see a HiWay hauler 2. I have found more Supers than Haulers......

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
KAWS, about finding the Skylines, try looking in some grocery stores that have Hot Wheels or drug stores. Sometimes old stuff still sits around long after they have been released.
I know your gas situation is on the high side, (up here we're still over $4 a gallon, not as bad as your area) but maybe you can incorporate looking while you're out on an erand on on the way home from work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts