Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My name is Greg and I just joined your group. I have always owned one or two classic cars over the past 30 years but have not been involved in collecting die casts. I recently rescued a 1956 Packard Patrician from a farm field and have began a restoration project on the 2 ton beauty. Was wondering if there are any die cast cars out there that do a good job of representing the 1956 Packard Patrician and where I would go to purchase one. My boys and I collected sports cards for years and I always found the forums we were members of had the best answers so that is why I am here asking for your recommendations. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Welcome to HobbyTalk Ehawker. :wave:

There is a fine '56 Patrician in 1:43 scale, that Brooklin Models of England made between about 1997 and 2005. They specialize in American cars from the 30's to the early 60's. If there is one available online it shouldn't be too hard to find with a little searching.

That's great you rescued the Packard! Are you planning a full restoration, or do you just want to get her running again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. Right now am working on getting the old car running and then will have to decide how far to go with a restoration. Got the engine running, the brakes redone, and currently working on the transmission. The old cars are a real work of art and a neat part of history. Can't stand to see them not be brought back to life.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts

You're a lucky guy, not many realize the legacy and engeneering greatness of this once imencly great marque.
Before I die, one of my many dreams is to own a '36, even a bottom line 120.

In my opinion, the '56 is about the best looking year since the late '30s.

This book I've had since 1978 discribes it's technological marvels as such;

"...the '55 (and '56) Packard was a technological wonder. Laeding the list of features was Torsion Level suspension, an interlinked torsion-bar system opporated on all four wheels. A complicated electrical system allowed the suspension to correct for any load, and the inter-linking of all four wheels provided truly extraordinary handling and ride."

I have no idea what it's like to work on this system or how reliable it is, but you sure got my interest up!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the picture. Looks exactly like my 56 except for the color scheme so I will start hunting for a Brooklin die cast. I knew you guys would know what I wanted. Thanks for the quick response and if anyone has a lead on the Brooklin give me a hollar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 1956 packard patrician is considered a milestone car in the automobile world and the example I pulled out of the farm yard is complete, just needs some TLC. You can tell that the previous owner loved the car but he passed away and the kids lost the storage space so it was sitting outside about 5 years. I will nurse it back to health and enjoy it. This model was ahead of it's time with torsion bar load leveling system, ultra twin transmission, power everything, and an absolutely gorgeous dashboard. It was rated the best luxury car in 56 beating cadilac and Lincoln. Sorry, think I am rambling beyond the scope of this hobby talk forum.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
There is a 1:1 section amoungst the diecast forums here on Hobby Talk.
I think I speak for many of us...we'd LOVE to see a picture or many pictures of your car and to discuss the progress of the fix-up.

And welcome to HT!
Dave :wave:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
there is a 1:1 section amoungst the diecast forums here on hobby talk.
I think i speak for many of us...we'd love to see a picture or many pictures of your car and to discuss the progress of the fix-up.

And welcome to ht!
Dave :wave:
a m e n ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been meaning to get some pictures taken so I will get that done and put something over on the 1:1 thread. Thanks again for the tip on finding a die cast.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Sorry, think I am rambling beyond the scope of this hobby talk forum.
Impossible! You'll find that we're not only die cast people here, but many of us are passionate car people as well. We love to discuss these things in miniature and full size at length! I agree with the others, I too would love to see pictures of your Packard! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts