Hobbyist Forums banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts
Since there's a new policy which may or may not be in effect for a good long while, I thought it might be best to give new members a new place to post at least one of their three new posts w/in the forum. Several other forums here on HobbyTalk - as do a few other forums I infrequently frequent - have such an introduction/welcome thread, so why not, right?

With that in mind, please tell us a little bit about yourself. You don't have to give a laundry list, but tell us what sort of kits you build, maybe a geographical reference - i.e. "I live in the greater New York City area" sort of thing - and how long you've been doing this.
Another Joe Blow from PA here. Picked up car modeling again after 35 years when I saw a video on YouTube. I was floored by how much it has changed. I have a lot of catching up to do. Anyhow, I've completed 3 models cars so far, made rookie mistakes on each but they look good in the photos. Lol. I'm learning as I go along. My friends are amazed and think I'm a master modeler. Little dom they know.

Welcome to the boards! And welcome back to the hobby! I hope you are able to post photos of your builds. After your 3rd or 5th post you can hot link to them. Right now you can upload them (cut and paste from where ever they stored) as attachments. 🤙

Hello out there,
I´m Andy from Oldenburg in Germany. Discovered Hobby Talk while looking for something like this in my country...
Blame it on Covid; Due to a long shutdown I was thinking about a new hobby to fill my spare time and distract me from thinking about the plague. I remembered loving building models as a kid and here I am decades later, working on modul # 5.
Because I spent my childhood in LA Cali in the 60´s and 70´s, those are the cars that shaped my style. Big and muscle.
I´m into scale 1/25 and can get about everything from german webshops that import from the US, but sorry to say, no stores on mainstreet.
I´ll be introducing my stuff as soon as I get organized. Reaaaly happy to have found you!

Bonjour Arnaud,

happy to greet you at Hobby Talk! At least I´m not the only European here now;).Looking forward to seeing that Lancia. I remember that car well, because a friend of mine had one in the 80´s.

Best wishes,
Andy from Oldenburg Germany

Hello, my name is Jack, and just got into the hobby of plastic model cars. I went all out. I bought the paints, brushes, different cements, decal affixing solutions, and even an airbrush kit with three different types of airbrushes. Oh, and this powder to mimic carpets. lol Not to mention shaker cans, primer, etc. I think I tried it at one point as a kid, but really wanted to get serious, because the results of a well built model looks really good. So I am pretty excited to learn, and hopefully you guys are ready for a million newbie questions.

I am 45, live in the middle of nowhere, am a hermit, love art, my doggies, and pretending to play bass guitar.

Have a great day.

Welcome to the boards, Jack!

And be patient with us if we dont get to all million of them right away.

Often the questions have already been asked and you can find them with the search function but the answers may have changed since the last time they were asked or new products are available. You can start out by searching for each of the brand of products you have already bought here and get a feel for the pros and cons for each.

It almost sounds demeaning but you should start out with a snap together kit just to get the feel of removing parts from the trees, cleaning and washing parts before paint, trimming, sanding, etc before you start in on a more expensive kit. You can always come back and customize it later as your skills get better.

Having said that did you buy a kit already?

Welcome to the boards, Jack!

And be patient with us if we dont get to all million of them right away.

Often the questions have already been asked and you can find them with the search function but the answers may have changed since the last time they were asked or new products are available. You can start out by searching for each of the brand of products you have already bought here and get a feel for the pros and cons for each.

It almost sounds demeaning but you should start out with a snap together kit just to get the feel of removing parts from the trees, cleaning and washing parts before paint, trimming, sanding, etc before you start in on a more expensive kit. You can always come back and customize it later as your skills get better.

Having said that did you buy a kit already?
No, it is not demeaning. I did buy a few kits. I started a Revell Bronco kit. So far, the results have been surprisingly good for a newbie, until I stopped when I had no idea about paint and thinner ratios. Thanks for the welcome, and will search around my questions. I am certain they have been asked before.

Have a good day.

After you make your 3rd or 5th post you can start linking in photos. So if you want to start a build thread about your Bronco you can do that and keep us updated about your progress there. Letting us known about your paint and thinner ratios concerns will usually prompt some follow up about brands and whether or not you are using the air brush already or the paint brushes!

Reactions: Wok
After you make your 3rd or 5th post you can start linking in photos. So if you want to start a build thread about your Bronco you can do that and keep us updated about your progress there. Letting us known about your paint and thinner ratios concerns will usually prompt some follow up about brands and whether or not you are using the air brush already or the paint brushes!
Will do. Thank you. I already found thinner and paint ratios. I just received dropper bottles. I am not sure how that is going to turn out, so I will see. Thanks once again for the welcome.

Hello, my name is Jack, and just got into the hobby of plastic model cars. I went all out. I bought the paints, brushes, different cements, decal affixing solutions, and even an airbrush kit with three different types of airbrushes. Oh, and this powder to mimic carpets. lol Not to mention shaker cans, primer, etc. I think I tried it at one point as a kid, but really wanted to get serious, because the results of a well built model looks really good. So I am pretty excited to learn, and hopefully you guys are ready for a million newbie questions.

I am 45, live in the middle of nowhere, am a hermit, love art, my doggies, and pretending to play bass guitar.

Have a great day.
Hello Jack,
nice to "see" a new face here. It seems to be the same story so often: After years or decades we all come back to our cherished, but long forgotten passion. Good luck with your first models and don´t forget to show and tell.
Best wishes,
Andy from Oldenburg

Hey all!
Im D 24 years old and currently in NC, just recently discovered this hobby on Saturday and im hooked! Heres my two first builds, took about a day and a half for both and as you can see they’re a little rough(hence the mud to cover up some glue stains and such). Definitely here to learn from everyone as I’ve seen some awesome builds. Got a third on the way so we’ll see if theres any progress. Anyways, happy to have found this forum. Happy Tuesday people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Toni,
happy to greet you here! Seems like you have the right passion from the start and to show us your first builds. I must confess I didn´t pluck up the courage to show my first models, but you found a way to get around the bend with your "mudding" technique.

I know that eagerness to get on with the next step. Juggling between two models can keep you in the flow while the paint or the glue are drying. But I have learned that more often than I like I have to step back, control myself and let the model rest for a while. My first lesson was to learn to be patient and acquire a slow hand while building. Let it take as long as it takes to get a good result and don´t rush it. And yes, if you stick to it you will get better as you climb the ladder of experience .

Best wishes, Andy

Hello @Twophonetoni , Welcome to HobbyTalk! Really like the models, can't wait to see more! Hope you enjoy your stay here, and if you should need any help with the forum, feel free to pm me or any other Admin or Mod.

Best of Luck,
-K.I.T.T

Since there's a new policy which may or may not be in effect for a good long while, I thought it might be best to give new members a new place to post at least one of their three new posts w/in the forum. Several other forums here on HobbyTalk - as do a few other forums I infrequently frequent - have such an introduction/welcome thread, so why not, right?

With that in mind, please tell us a little bit about yourself. You don't have to give a laundry list, but tell us what sort of kits you build, maybe a geographical reference - i.e. "I live in the greater New York City area" sort of thing - and how long you've been doing this.
Name is John. Live in Texas. I just started working on model cars again after several years and life. Hope to learn some things from y’all.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts