Hobbyist Forums banner

New Member Introduction Thread

34K views 192 replies 106 participants last post by  justmakingit803 
#1 ·
Since there's a new policy which may or may not be in effect for a good long while, I thought it might be best to give new members a new place to post at least one of their three new posts w/in the forum. Several other forums here on HobbyTalk - as do a few other forums I infrequently frequent - have such an introduction/welcome thread, so why not, right?

With that in mind, please tell us a little bit about yourself. You don't have to give a laundry list, but tell us what sort of kits you build, maybe a geographical reference - i.e. "I live in the greater New York City area" sort of thing - and how long you've been doing this.

#2 · (Edited)
Looks like I'm the first new member to post in this thread....so here goes....

I'm Tom from NW Pennsylvania and fairly new to modeling. I did a few when I was a little kid (I'm 31) but they didn't turn out great. Right now I'm working on a Revell '69 Yenko Camaro 427 and I'm about halfway through it and it's going good so far.

Anyway......Hi!

#6 ·
Wow, it seems like everyone signing onto the "New Member's Introduction Page" is either from Pennsylvania or just across the border. Tommy Boy in N.W. PA, Schwinnster in S.W. PA, my buddy T-Cat in South Jersey, and I'm just west of Philly. As my screen name suggests, I build Corvairs primarily but I do all sorts of other automotive subjects too, from 1930's full classics through modern sports cars. I'm currently converting a Revell '78 Trans Am into a '77 Firebird Esprit for a friend from another website. I love a good challenge!

#12 ·
Not so new....

Hi all! Not new to HT or to modeling. Some of you may recognize me from the diecast board. I cant beleive I did not see the model car section before. I saw the SiFi section but never this one. Old eyes I guess.:rolleyes:

I reside in the Houston area. Have been building car models off and on since the late 60's. I like to build cars mostly from the late 50's through early 70's. Muscle car era I guess you could say. I have dozens of unbuilt models of about every U.S. car maker that hopefully someday will be completed. I will post a cople of pics. I am no pro by any means but am generaly pretty happy with my completed projects.

#20 ·
OK. Your up by my buddy SPEEDDEMON. He lives in west millford. I was gonna say we should get together for some model building, but your 2hrs. away. SPEEDDEMON came down and we put our cars in the Riverside car show and he said it was a 2hr. drive. I got my buddy CorvairJim comming over on sat. for some model trades and tips.

#24 ·
First time in a long time modeler.

Hay, i haven't put a model together in 20+ years when i was a kid.
I'm loving getting back into it,:thumbsup: (finishing up my first one now) but the only thing i have in 50+ miles for supply's is wal-mart, and they no longer have a {model area}.:confused:
So i have some simple modeling glue, and super glue that wal-mart has in stock, however.
As far as paints go, all Wal-mart has is the paints in the "hobby area". Like :Folkart [acrylic] and such.
It is very reasonable priced, but how good is it? I plan to Primer all my parts anyways, but any other tips, what to thin it with, etc... or ideas? Ill be airbrushing it on.

Any how, im new to the forum, and thought id say HAY!:wave:
Ha Ha.
North east Arkansas.

#30 ·
Hay, i haven't put a model together in 20+ years when i was a kid.
I'm loving getting back into it,:thumbsup: (finishing up my first one now) but the only thing i have in 50+ miles for supply's is wal-mart, and they no longer have a {model area}.:confused:
So i have some simple modeling glue, and super glue that wal-mart has in stock, however.
As far as paints go, all Wal-mart has is the paints in the "hobby area". Like :Folkart [acrylic] and such.
It is very reasonable priced, but how good is it? I plan to Primer all my parts anyways, but any other tips, what to thin it with, etc... or ideas? Ill be airbrushing it on.

Any how, im new to the forum, and thought id say HAY!:wave:
Ha Ha.
North east Arkansas.
What part of arkansas you in, im in wynne, i get all my hobby stuff off E-bay or i got to hobby lobby in memphis or jonesboro, and there is a hobby town next to hobby lobby in memphis.

#26 ·
Hey everybody. I am from Omaha, NE and I am trying to get back into modeling. I just did 5 years in the Navy and that slowed me down a lot. Currently I am working on a 1966 Oldsmobile 442. I have never really got into detailing them a whole lot, I have always done box stock. I definitely want to learn how to do different things like spark plug wires, battery cables, etc.

#31 ·
Hey guys, names Brian, 34 years old.. very new to the site and have 20+ years of building under my belt. The thing i enjoy building most is trucks but recently have turned over to cars all in different forms. I try to step out of the box and reinvent the wheel with my builds. Most dont get done but the ones that do turn head's..or i think they do. Lol
Dont go to many model shows but have had 4 of em in scale auto which is by far a crowning achievement for myself. Hope to get to know some of yall a lil better.