Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been a member of the forum for ages but only now finally get back into the hobby. I hail from Derry in Northern Ireland. Really impressed with the builds on here, it'll be a long time before I can emulate your standards!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Hi all. Been around other forums for a while and I see a lot of familiar names here too. Wanted to expand out to other communities as some others seem to be getting too old fashioned and crotchety. Lol. I mainly build sci-fi and aircraft and occasionally ships.

Chris
Hi Dobbber. Your name sounds familiar. Welcome aboard!:wave:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello from Greely Ontario Canada...long time modeller of mostly cars, but some air, space and water crafts to my name and in the build queue including the TOS 1/350 Enterprise, 1/144 Saturn V and a 1/48 B-17G. Hope to use a lot of the reference, tips and tricks available here in all three of these builds!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey folks, I already introduced myself over in the general modeling forum but wanted to also do likewise here, since my primary interest is in sci-fi and fantasy modeling. I'm highly inspired by both 1/350th scale iterations of the "Big E" (both TOS and refit versions) I've seen members here do. Very nice builds! I'm coming out of a 20+ year hiatus from scale modeling...how long? I'll put it this way...last time I was building spaceships incandescent wheat-grain bulbs were the way to go. Not a single LED to be found!:lol:

I purchased a PL 1/350 refit Enterprise just over a year ago; it's been languishing on the closet shelf while I've decided just how to tackle it, so please bear with me if I ask some n00bish questions! But I think that the wisest thing to do would be to get back into it by building a few simpler models first (I have some unboxed kits, Ertl/AMT Excelsior, Enterprise B, Reliant and a couple of Macross fighters). I'm also designing a DIY spraybooth...Iwata airbrush and compressor is already on my Xmas list. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also recently said hello over in the general welcome room, but thought I say hello here too, since, like Guns, my main interest is Star Trek modeling - though not exclusively. Right now I'm working on the Bridge model - I have both the original and first reissue. I'm building from the reissue and have borrowed a couple of crewmember parts from the original kit and did some sculpting work on the heads and insignia to come up with a Dr. McCoy and Scotty to add to the Bridge.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Hello from Greely Ontario Canada...long time modeller of mostly cars, but some air, space and water crafts to my name and in the build queue including the TOS 1/350 Enterprise, 1/144 Saturn V and a 1/48 B-17G. Hope to use a lot of the reference, tips and tricks available here in all three of these builds!
Hey folks, I already introduced myself over in the general modeling forum but wanted to also do likewise here, since my primary interest is in sci-fi and fantasy modeling. I'm highly inspired by both 1/350th scale iterations of the "Big E" (both TOS and refit versions) I've seen members here do. Very nice builds! I'm coming out of a 20+ year hiatus from scale modeling...how long? I'll put it this way...last time I was building spaceships incandescent wheat-grain bulbs were the way to go. Not a single LED to be found!:lol:

I purchased a PL 1/350 refit Enterprise just over a year ago; it's been languishing on the closet shelf while I've decided just how to tackle it, so please bear with me if I ask some n00bish questions! But I think that the wisest thing to do would be to get back into it by building a few simpler models first (I have some unboxed kits, Ertl/AMT Excelsior, Enterprise B, Reliant and a couple of Macross fighters). I'm also designing a DIY spraybooth...Iwata airbrush and compressor is already on my Xmas list. :thumbsup:
I also recently said hello over in the general welcome room, but thought I say hello here too, since, like Guns, my main interest is Star Trek modeling - though not exclusively. Right now I'm working on the Bridge model - I have both the original and first reissue. I'm building from the reissue and have borrowed a couple of crewmember parts from the original kit and did some sculpting work on the heads and insignia to come up with a Dr. McCoy and Scotty to add to the Bridge.
Hi everyone! Welcome and remember to post lots of pics!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newb, here. My name is Scott (obviously) and I live in Southern California (also obvious).

I've never built a model in my life, and I've got 50 years of life behind me, so I'm going to find out if you can actually teach an old dog a new trick. I work in aerospace as an engineer and up till now I spent my weekends doing home improvement projects and building cabinetry, with the odd side job of a couch or chair occasionally, and restoring an old car I have that used to be my dad's. I'm also a Trekkie, and after a year of seeing the big Polar Lights model of the refit Enterprise, I decided to pull the trigger. I now have the model, but it'll be a few months before I take off the outer wrapper, while I gather the tools and accessories I want to put this thing together. I'm still a little mixed about doing this.

I saw one build where the guy completely refurbished some of the parts because angles were off by 3 degrees or the radius of a curve was slightly different than what he saw in the movies. I won't be doing that. I spend all week meeting the exact letter of contractual requirements, this is done so I can relax and enjoy myself. I'll be lighting it. I'm still torn on decals or paint - I already found out (on a car) that my painting talent is non-existent. I can do spray varnish finish, though, and what needs to happen with this model seems more like that, so maybe....

Anyway, I don't have the first clue what I'm doing. I'm studying youtube videos and blogs to see what other people have done and making lots of bookmarks to refer back to. My brother-in-law says he used to do modeling as a kid, and he says he'll help if I want it. I'm probably jumping ahead, but I've designed the glass display cabinet I'll build once it's done, to keep dust off it and hide the power cords and other electronics. I'm also trying to decide between building my own lighting kit with an arduino controller or just getting something off the shelf with mechanical switches. I've done a little programming and I'm reasonably sure I could tackle that. I've seen a couple models that used the arduino and it gives a little something extra to the lighting. Maybe I could put a small amp and speakers into the display cabinet and synch the lighting to sound effects.

Ah well, everything is still up in the air. We'll see. Hi.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome! An ambitious first project, but if you take your time & look at other folks threads on how they did it, I'm sure you can make a supreme display piece out of it. Great luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
a new member from Germany

HI everyone,

my name is Christan and just recently I had a nice little email chat with Paul from Paragrafix about a lost part for my Revell Voyager built. I´ve asked him on what forums he might be and well, he mentioned Hobbytalk. Here I am:wave:
After accidentally coming across the PL 1/350 Enterprise about a year ago I could not resist! Like many others before me ... I wanted one for myself!
But since I had zero skills in modell making, I decided to take on some other builds first. I mean ... zero! Regardless of what I did with planes and truck kits as a kid.
Right now I am about to put the final dull coat on my Voyager. Why Voyager? As a learning experience (form sanding to airbrush and basically everything) and because Voyager builds are a bit rare these days :)
The build got a bit out of hand, because I changed the features on a daily basis as I went down the road. Even within the last two days I nearly screwed it ...

I will make a post about my build. And if you think "yeah who needs a Voyager?" ... wait until you see what mine can do:wave:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi There

Hi there, first post here. I've been perusing this site for a few months and it's been great for picking up tips and seeing very cool models.

My interest is heavily in Sci-Fi and Monster models. I'm very much a newbie at it, so I'll probably end up with a lot of questions. I'm getting started right now with a few models:
*Mr. Spock vs Three-Headed Serpent from AMT
*Robby the Robot with Altaire from Polar Lights
*Ghostbuster ECTO Wagon

So far I've got them partially assembled and primed. Now for the REALLY daunting part... learning how to use my air compressor and Badger single action airbrush. I'm a COMPLETE NEWB. I've painted a lot of metal minis in my time - but I haven't painted a plastic model since I was a kid. And I've never used an airbrush.

I'm 45 years old but I have kid-like hobbies (guitar, roleplaying games, and now modeling). My wife gets a bit impatient at times.

George

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

I just saw this thread. I have a few pretty sweet kits I just picked up and I am looking for some ideas on how to max these out. Looking forward to hearing your input!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,

I've been a lurker for a few months. I plan to try the three 1/350 Enterprises (NX01, TOS, and Refit) over the next year (or two, or three...), including lights, Aztec (not on TOS), etc. Then, I'll likely need to save up and try again and do it right. My only real modeling experience was as a kid, with WWII battleships, globs of ugly glue and hulls that never quite stuck together, so I've appreciated all of the advice I've already got just reading though the posts. So far, I've "ruined" 2 weefit 1/1000 as I try to learn how to paint, use the putty, and so on.

It's actually pretty amazing that there are so many people willing to share their experiences and advice on these sort of things.

I'm looking forward to getting started, and will post pictures once things get moving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
It's actually pretty amazing that there are so many people willing to share their experiences and advice on these sort of things.
We like seeing great works, and we all share here. No question is stupid (though some might elicit a chuckle); we were all beginners once, and we're all still learning. Welcome!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Welcome aboard, larskseme.

Nothing is ruined if it is a learning experience to develop your skills. We all started out with bad seams, glue bombs and horrifically brushed-on paint straight from the bottle. Each time refining our techniques and learning from more experienced modelers just how to make the next build better than the last.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My name is Robin and I got really ambitious and purchased a 1/350 TOS Enterprise which I think would look awesome hanging from the ceiling of my home theater. A bit of background, I am 52 and haven't made a model since I was a kid so this should be really interesting. Please forgive me if I ask what some may consider remedial questions, it has been a long time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello

Hi All,

My name's Marc and I'm in the UK. I'm rubbish at these things, in the same way that I avoid dating sites because I never know what to put in the "describe yourself bit, so as a intro virgin....please be gentle with me lol.

I'm solely a 1/2500 canon sci-fi model collector from shows such as B5, Stargate, Trek (not into Star Wars) as well as some film ships and have been collecting for about 5 years.....although I've not actually painted any of my collection yet.

As a kid I started on 1/72 tanks and when it first came out (40 now) moved onto Warhammer, 40K, Gothic and Titans before giving it all up in my late teens when I discovered girls.

Hobby Talk was recommended to me by Xen of AST and normally I can be found lurking on Star Ship Modeller, All Scale Trek and used to be on the Mighty 10-Twelve before it was shut down but I do recognise quite a few "faces" here.

Like most of you, there are a lot of models I wanted that will probably never be released as a kit (especially Stargate), so 18 months ago I started to teach myself how to convert existing free to use 3D animation files from the web into 3d printable models and just some of the ones I've had printed so far would be below....but it won't let me post them yet.

The rest of what I'm hoping to get printed in the future (over 100 models) can be seen on Shapeways.

EDIT I've added pics of most of my collection to "My Photo's" and some of the models I've converted and printed so far.

Cheers

Marc

41 - 60 of 85 Posts