Hobbyist Forums banner

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Invaders modeling and Trek Modeling

I am a model builder that's very much into detail when I build a model. You may have seen my builds on You Tube, under AMT Bridge Build or Shuttle Craft build Galileo 7, via Randy Coopers Kit. :thumbsup:

Right now I am building two 7" Invaders ships, with full lighting and effects and base. As you know and you may agree with me,"That the 1/72 scale Invaders ship is really a let down based on the fact that it's way too small. I have been waiting for years to see if a larger ship that would come out. I was just waiting and waiting, and it has never come out. So, I decided to build this 10" 1/50 scale invaders Ship myself and make it as best as possible with more scale and detail.:thumbsup: It has turned out to be quite a project, taking 60 days so far into the build. So far I have completed the pieces to make one ship. Made from bass wood and walnut, with two other on the work table. Based on the time it has taken me to build this UFO from the TV show "The Invaders", it not something that really can be built model after model.

So for hobby talk, I just wanted to let you all know, that I will be casting the Invaders 10" in the near future and will be selling a few to a few serious models who are interested in buying one. I am a member of Modeler's Miniatures & Magic, and Kurt Kuhn will be showing off my build on that forum, as well as the Roy Thinnes Website. and Thinnes.com are interested in seeing this as well. You can also see my You Tube videos by searching Mike Makkreel Invaders 10" build or Invaders 7" Build. Email me if your interested in one of these 10" ships.. I am not sure of the base price yet, but it will be close to Randy coopers Shuttle craft Kit in the $350.00 range. ( However I will be selling a 7" complete Ship, with light and effect on Ebay coming soon)

I am also very much into Star Trek, and Have built. THE NOMAD PROBE, THE BRIDGE AMT, THE GALILEO 7 SHUTTLE CRAFT by; RANDY COOPER, AND MY CUSTOM THOLIANS SPINNERS, I will be casting the Tholian ships soon as well, but I am still offering some bass wood ships, right now on Ebay.. $45.00.. Check out myEbay site.. Wrongway346.. I have all kinds of goodies on there NOW..

Mike Makkreel :wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings fellow modelers!

I have been away from the hobby for several years, but I'm retired now, and have more time on my hands. Modeling seemed like the best way to pass the time and keep my mind active. I am building military ships (1/350, mostly)concentrating on WW 1 era and the 1890's. Looking forward to learning and sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oldie newbie

Hi everyone
Just getting back into modeling after a 20 odd yr break..... I'll be focusing on mainly 1/24, 1/25 car kits...... With a couple of diorama ideas in the works ( gas station and a drive in burger joint) also I'm planning on 2 aircraft models 1. Huey D (1/32) which I'm doing as a surprise for my father in law.... As he was a door gunner ( and special forces) during Vietnam.... And 2. A B24 Liberator (1/48) in honor of my wife's Grandfather who was a nose gunner during WW2. Both those will have diorama bases..

Bedlam ( Ian).

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI I'm new to the forum and I'm just getting back into the hobby after 28 years. After building 1/48 scale military planes I've decided to build vinyl kits. I used to build the aurora monsters which I still have but now I want to do vinyls. I bought the original four horizon came out with (Dracula,Bride of Frankenstein,Mole People,and Phantom of the Opera) and some Marvel superheroes and I've added Others recently. So I have a surplus to start with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lost in space b9 robot

Hi community,

I have the moebius b9 robot model, does anybody know which modeling kit
is the best one to get and assemble.
Is it: mechalabs,starling,tenacontrols or something else.

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Modeling/Props

This site looked like a bunch of good, no nonsense serious hobby folk and it's good to be here. Have built 100's model cars, both plastic and metal with intricate detailing. Also have built prop replicas for a couple of decades.

Now I'm interested in getting out of the "incandescent" thinking and moving over to the LED technology! Never too old to learn something better.

I'm currently working on a reimagined B-205 terminal replica from Lost in space using the newer LED and sequencing technology. Have built about 5 center flight consoles and sold all but one on ebay to other enthusiasts.

I own many original props from my friend that I graduated with who has been with California prop production firms for 30 years.

Love science fiction and props.

I look forward to spending some fun hours on this site and sharing when I can.!!

Thanks....Ramidon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Painting working parts

Hello, I am building a working 1:6 crankcase, crank and rods from aluminium and would like to alter their colour to better match the original 1:1 versions. These were a darker grey as opposed silvery aluminium.
Any tips on this? Specifically on how a painted surface will hold up living with a coating of caster oil. Or alternatively, how to naturally darken the aluminium.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in this great forum. I look forward to learning all I can and sharing what I know. My interest are mostly military, but I have found myself really starting to enjoy figure models of all types.

Once again, thanks for having me. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi everyone, thanks for having me in this great forum. I look forward to learning all I can and sharing what I know. My interest are mostly military, but I have found myself really starting to enjoy figure models of all types.

Once again, thanks for having me. :)
Welcome, and you have a PM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I’m new here, and am looking forward to learning new things and meeting new people! I’ve built (and am building) quite a few models (especially Roth and monster models), so I’ll be posting pictures soon. See ya’ll around.
-Lauren

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings and Salutations!

Needed some ideas for lighting my Martian War Machine...Been building for a spell, have 5 builds (I get bored easy,or OCD overload!) going on lol! thought I would venture in to the lighting kit world. Found a ton of advice and so forth. Happy I stopped by!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm finally returning to the hobby I love after too long an absence. I've finally completed a few models! That's a big deal for me. Looking forward to seeing what people are doing here, learning new things, and getting better at this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone.

I've only made 3 models so far and each time I've done them by the book.
One thing I've noticed with a lot of the pros is they go about the instructions in a different way.
While I don't think I want to go over-the-top detail like heat-staining and making my own seatbelts, I'd like to know anyone's approach to assembling their models together.
Do you guys do a dry put together step-by-step then figure out which pieces should be put down first?
That's one of the problems I've had with my cars, especially the little pieces and fitting them under and inbetween other pieces.
Probably a silly question and it's one that might be answered with "it comes with experience" and "different ways work for different people" but any advice is good advice.
Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hello everyone.

I've only made 3 models so far and each time I've done them by the book.
One thing I've noticed with a lot of the pros is they go about the instructions in a different way.
While I don't think I want to go over-the-top detail like heat-staining and making my own seat belts, I'd like to know anyone's approach to assembling their models together.
Do you guys do a dry put together step-by-step then figure out which pieces should be put down first?
That's one of the problems I've had with my cars, especially the little pieces and fitting them under and inbetween other pieces.
Probably a silly question and it's one that might be answered with "it comes with experience" and "different ways work for different people" but any advice is good advice.
Thanks!
1. While there most certainly are silly/stupid questions - and I can think of many - asking a question when you're genuinely trying to learn does not fall into that category. If you lack experience at task 'X', there's absolutely no reason why you should inherently know how to do it. So you ask.
2. Doing things 'by the book', or rather, per the instructions, is not necessarily a bad thing. The vast majority f them are effective for those like yourself who haven't as yet gained the experience to be able to side-step certain items, and/or do things out of order of the instruction sheet call-out.
3. "Pros". Where, who, us? Haha, now that's funny right there. I don't know of anyone on this board who would say, "I'm a professional model builder". We are all novices with varying levels of experience. Unless someone has built numerous copies of the exact same kit, every one we build has some new challenge to contend with. You could buy twenty copies of the same kit, from a top of the heap model company, and there's a chance something would be different, whether it's a warped or broken piece that needs repaired/straightened, a mold ejector pin divot that needs filled, a wonky decal, or whatever.
When we go to shows, or look at pictures in magazines, all we see is the finished product, and think, wow, that's gorgeous. This person really knew their stuff. What you don't see is the hours of work, the quirks and problems overcome,the frustrations and aggravations that got it there, which we ALL go through, no matter what your experience level might be.
4. Yes, it is always a good idea to dry-fit parts, for a couple reasons. First, they made need trimming or sanding to ensure nice tight seams, or to make a part sit correctly. Second, as you suspect, it allows the builder to visualize how everything after that particular part is going to go in, and whether or not you'll be able to paint it (or anything else) once it's in, or be able to attach other critical parts around it.

So welcome, and enjoy the hobby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hiya:
I had to re-register since I never got a password re-set email, and the forum doesn't recognize my email addresses. Ah well, I was nobody lurker before for the most part - at least in the last few years, and I more than like will carry on with that. Tradition, after all! But if I do make a comment or post, I've been here since the mid-oughts.

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts